The Preacher
SYLVINHO_copia.jpg

Name: Sylvio Mendes Campos
Position: defender
Place of birth: Sao Paulo (Brasil)
Date of birth: 12-04-1974
Height: 173 cm
Weight: 66 kg

His professional career started back in 1994 in Corinthians, one of the clubs of his home town, Sao Paulo. After shining at club level, Mario Zagallo called him up to the national team for his 1997 debut against Russia.

His quality and consistence opened the doors to European football and in 1999 he left Corinthians for the Premier League and Arsenal. Following two seasons at Arsenal, where he quickly became a crowd favourite, he moved to Celta Vigo for the 2001-02 season. There he became an integral part of the team that in the 2003-04 season qualified for the Champions League for the first time in their history.

Sylvinho arrived in Barcelona in the summer of 2004 and since then he has always given sterling performances. In the 2004-05 season, however, he was sidelined for a month with torn knee ligaments. Once he had recovered, Sylvinho played in 21 League games and 3 in the Champions League.

In the 2005-06 season Sylvinho was virtually a fixture in the League yet rarely appeared in the Champions League where he was on the pitch for just 21 minutes in the Chelsea v Barça game when Gio van Bronckhorst got injured. Curiously enough Sylvinho won the League and the Champions League against two of his former clubs, Celta and Arsenal.

In the 2006-07 campaign the Brazilian continued to share the left back slot with Gio Van Bronckhorst. When the Dutchman left and Éric Abidal arrived, Sylvinho continued to alternate in the position but this time with the Frenchman. He even played on the wing in the 2007-08 season, for instance in the Champions League fixture with Schalke 04.

Sylvinho’s effort and commitment was rewarded with a one-year extension to his contract up to 30 June 2009. (fcbarcelona.com)

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Silvio Mendes Campos, Sylvinho

One of my favorite players. Great personality and a good backup. He had that father-son relationship with Messi and now his professionalism should serve as an example for youngsters

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Re: 16 - Silvio Mendes Campos, Sylvinho

According to Mundo Deportivo, Celtic will try to sign Sylvinho in January.

Syl:

"Txiki told me in August that Celtic had made an offer for me, but an exit wasn't an option back then. Apparently Celtic is still interested, that 's what they told me. It sure is nice that a club like Celtic wants me and is insisting to sign me.
My contract expires next summer and my first focus is on Barcelona. But of course, if they come and tell me that they don't count on me, I would consider a transfer, even during the winter transfer window. I'm not looking for it, but if the club would be that clear, it could happen. I think that I could continue here and contribute to winning trophies and scoring goals, but we'll see what will happen.
I sure don't regret to have signed a renewal last summer. I feel happy and I don't want to be a problem for the club. Txiki and Laporta have always defended me, we have a very smooth relationship. They offered me a good contract and that's why I signed a renewal for one more year in June."

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member

Really nice goal by Syl tonight. Could be his last one in Barca shirt

Evil

Shabazz

Even at 34 he gives so much on the pitch, a real example for the younger players, he gets very little playing time and yet he gives so much. He's not the most talented in our squad, but his attitude makes the difference, beautiful goal today !

FCBNOF

Momo un Bello Uomo

This season is his last and we all know that, deserves so much respect.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member

A perfect cross for Bojan. It`s nice to see him play some of his best football at Barca in his last season

Barca_Ray_USA

A legend! Still useful, hope to see him more before he retires

Last edited by a moderator:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Some wonderful moves by our veteran vs. Espanyol. I wish we had such a backup on the right back as well

Evil

Shabazz
goal.garbage

Sylvinho 5.5 - Has done a decent job at the back this season but he is starting to show his age somewhat and this evening he got beaten to many times and didn't get forward a lot either.

Did these assholes even watch the match ? :lmao:

Home of Barca Fans