-Incompetent manager
-Incompetent board
-Very incompetent sporting director
-Lack of squad depth
-Lack of defenders
-Lack of leadership in the team
-Lack of tactics
-Lack of motivation in players

Letting Pep go and allowing Sandro control of FC Barcelona started the decline. The rest is carefully listed in the comment above.

ManusXavi

Attacking
abGMFdvam3.png
[/url][/IMG]
The Runners/Forwards need to make movement. Centre Mid can make runs forward at times. At least 1 of the 5 front players you can imagine will always be highly likely to be back available to help busquets when possession is lost to a threating counter attack. Regardless of that a positive in this formation is that there are always 4 defenders back.
Edit: That on the left is a 'Ghost Runner' not a 'host runner'

Gaudi

Some interesting ideas here, but I think main problem is that picture from Celtic game with Alexis in possession and ten Celtic player behind the ball yet noone attacking the box. Lack of movement! No matter how good your tactic looks on paper if there is no movement nothing will work, though I like some ideas from @I bleed blaugrana on page 2.

i_bleed_blaugrana

I like De Sciglio a lot but I'm not sure if he would be a solid fit here. Could be a Zambrotta of sorts, solid defender but doesn't offer enough in offense. Its kinda my gripe with Montoya at times.

My only problem with antimadrista's line-up is that to get that team would cost nothing short of a fortune. It'd take a good 60-65 million alone just to get Vidal and that's if he wants to come and if Juve would be stupid enough to sell him. Add in Mando, Benatia and De Sciglio and we are at roughly 160 million and that's if we get Benatia on the cheap. For everything Vidal offers as far as steel in the MF, Mascherano arguably could provide similar qualities with Busi next to him.

I'm just not crazy about a 4 back setup with 2 attacking fullbacks. It puts a lot of pressure on our CBs to cover a lot of ground and for what it provides in attack, other formations achieve the same thing yet have more balance. Particularly with how defensive teams play against us now, it makes more logical sense to use less defenders.

Plus, I don't know. Call me a purist but something kind of irks me about having to sign a midfielder outside of Barca. With the way we raise players in La Masia and our track record of producing world-class talent in this department, I'd rather see someone from our ranks lead the team in MF. Not to mention, it renders Cesc as useless and he deserves better than that.

I think all we need as far as reinforcements goes is:

1. CB- Hummels/Benatia
2. ST- Aguero, Mandzukic
3. Fullback/Young CB/Defensive Utility Man- Riccardo Rodriguez, David Luiz, Danilo, Mangala etc.

Sell Song, Tello, Afellay and either Alves or Alexis. Integrate Deulofeu and Rafinha back into the squad. Move Mascherano back into his usual role as MF and we are solid.

Plus this way we are spending a fraction of the cost we would with a total revamp, particularly with the MF. Way I see it, Hummels would be 25-30, Aguero around the 50-55 range, and the third option would vary but wouldn't be more than 30 million.

Plus we would make a solid chunk back with the sales of Song, Tello and Afellay. Overall our depth would be solid across the board:

GK: TS, Masip
DF: Hummels, Pique, Bartra, Alba, Alves*, Alba*, Rodriguez/Luiz*
DM: Busi, Mascherano, Luiz*
AM: Iniesta, Rafinha, Cesc, Xavi, Sergi
LW: Neymar, Pedro, Alexis*
RW: Pedro, Alexis*, Deulofeu
ST: Messi, Aguero/Mandzukic

[note: stars are conditional, depends on who stays and leaves. Alexis and Alves are on the negotiating bubble in my book]

I'd fancy our chances of coming back with force with that squad and a fresh game plan. The best coaches in the world (Conte, Pep, Bielsa) have continued to experiment with 3 back setups and I think with that and some shrewd signings, tiki-taka would be back.

Last edited:

serghei

I would only sell Alexis for Reus. And I'm fine with a defensive line-up of Alba - Pique - Benatia/Hummels - Alves. World class CB and world class CF, that's the two imperative transfers we must do in the summer if the ban is off. RB is optional, depending on what the new manager (Tata is done IMO) has in mind.

We could also tell Alves to play more balanced, like he does with Brasil.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
I would only sell Alexis for Reus. And I'm fine with a defensive line-up of Alba - Pique - Benatia/Hummels - Alves. World class CB and world class CF, that's the two imperative transfers we must do in the summer if the ban is off. RB is optional, depending on what the new manager (Tata is done IMO) has in mind.

We could also tell Alves to play more balanced, like he does with Brasil.
How about Suarez?

Antimadridista1

@ibleedblaugrana : I'm not sure that Vidal costs more than 40/45m. Never 65M, it's too much. Juve bought him for 14m euro and I think that his contract ends in 2016. It means two years of contract left and 65m for two years is too much (If I'm right concerning his contract).

I think that if we buy Ter Stegen (12M), Benatia (25/30m), De Sciglio (20/25M) , Vidal (40/45m), Mandzukic (25m) , it would cost approximately 130m euro and not 160m.
As far as I know, our "president" Bartomeu said a few weeks ago that we had btw 60m and 120m euro to spend this summer (if there's no more ban), so we can dream a little bit.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

You guys are aware that Sammer just proclaimed a couple of days ago that Mandzukic is not for sale and no club needs to bother asking Bayern about a transfer?

R

Ryu Hayabusa

I think that if we buy Ter Stegen (12M), Benatia (25/30m), De Sciglio (20/25M) , Vidal (40/45m), Mandzukic (25m) , it would cost approximately 130m euro and not 160m.
As far as I know, our "president" Bartomeu said a few weeks ago that we had btw 60m and 120m euro to spend this summer (if there's no more ban), so we can dream a little bit.

That most likely includes any additional fees and salaries.
Also I'm pretty sure you assessment of what Barca would need to pay for the respective players, is WAY too low (except Ter Stegen).

Home of Barca Fans