State of La Liga

shadows

lets not forget that Villarreal also had the luck of the draw mate.. they played PAO in the second round.. a very easy draw for them

Yea Beast. But we were talking about the gap b/n Arsenal and the rest of the top3 .Thats why i was talking about just Arsenal...

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
La Liga is more entertaining and it's still the 2nd best league in the world. EPL has the TV money and hundreds of millions of it, something that would never happen in Spain. There are 4 good teams in EPL and 6 in La Liga. The EPL is better but that doesn't make La Liga bad.

Guardian

CA is correct man..Arsenal have the luck of the draw thats why they are still there...Roma was/is scrub..and still they took them to penalties where neither keeper wanted his side to win:p and Villareal well they arent playing well either even though they are still in the race for 4th..Moreover they played @ the Emirates w/o Senna as well..

Arsenal even far behind the top three in England are still better than any team in La Liga aside from Barca. Arsenal defeated Roma on penalties, but they were without Fabregas, Adebayor, Walcott, Arshavin and few more players like Silvestre, Rosicky but let's say they aren't important for the first team. Arsenal are enough competetive to beat any of the top 3 teams and actually they defeated United and Chelsea and held Liverpool at Anfield and Emi-rats this season. And that Senna excuse for missing the game doesn't make sense at all because Arsenal were without their first choise defense - Sagna, Gallas, Clichy all missing including Almunia.

three years ago I said in the other forum that EPL teams will dominate in Europe because I saw their developement and strength and yet all were bitching how crap EPL is. Was I right?.... of course I was. Next season Valencia will sell Villa, Silva and Albiol so they are not going to be better. Atletico without CL football are not going to the market too, so definitely the teams bellow Real Madrid and Barcelona are weakening while the teams bellow the big 4 in EPl are improving and Man City, Tottenham will spend money and add more quality to the team no matter what heppens to them.

I was in other football forums but rarely you can meet international fans of other than Barcelona and Real Madrid...how many are the international supporters of Sevilla, Atletico, Valencia, La Coruna, Malaga, Mallorca ? In comparison I've met plenty of international fans of Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, Newcastle, Man city....

I'll quote myself from other forum

Vidic, Modric, Skrtel, Berbatov, Arshavin, Cech, Pogatetz, Gerra, Sami Hyypia, M. Laursen, John Carew, Ronaldo, they all were voted as players of the year in their respective countries - Serbia, Croatia, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Russia, Czech rep, Austria, Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Norway, Portugal. All of them play in England. Samir Nasri was voted for best player in France and now he's in England too. Some of most popular players in each respective country also play in England - Santa Cruz (Paraguay), Smolarek (Poland), Valencia (Ecuador), Dempsey (USA), Palacios (Honduras), Essien (Ghana), Drogba (Ivory Coast), Zaki (Egypt), Adebayor (Togo)....and so on
As you can see the most popular players from almost all big football countries in the world are based in England.
How many players you can name me from Numancia, Malaga, Gijon, Recreativo, Valladolid, Mallorca without going to wikipedia and who are known to the international fans? And how many fans are intersted in other games aside from Barcelona and Real ones?

Last edited:
R

Red Devil

I think the whole of Europe is suffering because of the investment of money into the English Premier league and also the revenue gained by making the Uefa Champions league .

The problem we have is the fact the same teams qualify for the Champions league every year and occasionally another team makes it that team then invests heavly they then fail to qualify the next few years and all the money they have invested has put them in financial ruin.

S

Snyde

Actually you know, quite a bit of it is bullshit and even I was fooled into believing it. Is there far more money for smaller clubs in EPL than in Spain? For sure. Is their marketing better? Roger. Is the football better? Nope, not even close. Watching Everton, Bolton, Fulham, Portsmouth is the kind of treatment subscribred to those with insomnia. Utter shite and boring football on most every single level can be found in the EPL. Hell even in the top 4. You surely don't need me to name them. Their top four are surely dominating Europe but the league has little else. Entertainment and quality of football is quite poor.

JALJM

Sure bad teams are bad everywhere, but I think the mid-level clubs in England are getting better, and you have ManU, Hellsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham, Man City...That's six teams that can outspend any team in La Liga except us & Real (maybe Atleti). Sevilla & Vill have done incredibly well with scouting, good buys & good coaching...but I dont know how much longer they can keep it up.
Even quality Spanish players (Torres, Xabi Alonso, Cesc, possibly Villa or Silva) are going to England recently. At least we haven't declined as much as Serie A. Quality is way down there since the scandals...

beef-supreme

Sure bad teams are bad everywhere, but I think the mid-level clubs in England are getting better, and you have ManU, Hellsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham, Man City...That's six teams that can outspend any team in La Liga except us & Real (maybe Atleti). Sevilla & Vill have done incredibly well with scouting, good buys & good coaching...but I dont know how much longer they can keep it up.
Even quality Spanish players (Torres, Xabi Alonso, Cesc, possibly Villa or Silva) are going to England recently. At least we haven't declined as much as Serie A. Quality is way down there since the scandals...

Funny then that City are 10th. But yes, the top English teams are much richer no doubt. However, the quality of football played is generally very low. La Liga needs to move forward, really improve in terms of marketing. One thing though that would be a great help would be the 6 + 5 rule. I'd love for this to come into effect for the sake of La Liga and Serie A.

When you talk about quality Spanish players leaving, I don't really think you make much of a point, because Xabi Alonso and Cesc moved ages ago. Torres is the only recent move. You can't in any rational way say "possibly Villa or Silva". I could say they will also possibly move to the Hungarian Borsodi Liga, and my argument will have as much ground as yours.

Quash

Ricky Martin clone
Funny then that City are 10th. But yes, the top English teams are much richer no doubt. However, the quality of football played is generally very low. La Liga needs to move forward, really improve in terms of marketing. One thing though that would be a great help would be the 6 + 5 rule. I'd love for this to come into effect for the sake of La Liga and Serie A.

When you talk about quality Spanish players leaving, I don't really think you make much of a point, because Xabi Alonso and Cesc moved ages ago. Torres is the only recent move. You can't in any rational way say "possibly Villa or Silva". I could say they will also possibly move to the Hungarian Borsodi Liga, and my argument will have as much ground as yours.

Very true. We were discussing this in another topic on EPL dominance, there's a huge dropoff in terms of quality when you get out of the top 5/6. Some of the football is just awful, tepid pish. And I agree that the 6+5 rule is a great way to move forward, as much as the Pool and Arsenal (possibly Chelski?) will hate it. Is there any idea when it would be implemented?

JALJM

You're right about the dropoff. For instance, Deportivo would probably destroy Fulham. However some of the rich, lesser clubs (ManCity, Spurs, and famously Newcastle) are so mismanaged that if they get their act together, the Valencias & Genoas of this world probably won't keep up. There's a longer post I want to make about mismanagement and poor tactics in the EPL, but I'm too lazy right now...

Also, thanks to the boy-loving Wenger, Arsenal actually have the best youth set-up in England at the moment (they won the Youth League today). They'd probably struggle in the short-run with 6+5. But in the long run, they'd be better off than most others.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
YEAH ITS GOOD FOR 2 TEAMS AND FUCK THE REST OF SPAIN

La liga best in the world my backside. It may have the best 2 teams in the world come next May but la liga is fucked....

E

Esteve

You haven't got a clue. You probably think every other team in Spain is shit.

maz

I walk the line
I think its that he's worried the one time it looks possible that liverpool can win the epl, all of a sudden la liga becomes the best league in the world.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Like I give a shit about other english clubs in europe. I want EVERY ENGLISH CLUB EXCEPT US to fail in europe.

It is only la liga fans who have this inferior/superior complex. Every other supporter in the world just enjoys the moment.

Esteve I bet I know more than you about la liga.

Let us go through the top half.

Sevilla - always sell their best players and cannot have continous success like 05-07.

Villarreal - small club who have just lost their most influential figure for the past 10 years. They are another selling club and when push comes to shove cannot compete on a regular basis for trophies.

Valencia - nuff said

Deportivo - Mid table club who were a top class side in the early 00's but because of their club size were never able to lay any foundations. They also sell their best players.

Bilbao - a team I admire because of their heritage, but because of that will not do anything of note again unless a their kids come through to be of world class.

Espanyol - Will never do anything of note

Getafe - Real Madrid's whore

Almeira - decent side but a very small club

I have followed la liga intensely for the past 10 years because of who I married and I do believe the 08/09 season was one of the worst I have ever seen in terms of teams challenging the big 2.

But please list me your reasons why la liga is th best in the world and don't say Real Madrid or Barca I want more than that.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans