Are You a Fan of USA Mens Soccer?

Are You a Fan of USA Mens Soccer?

• Total voters

fcbdna

Banned
NO! For one its not soccer it is FOOTBALL!!!! Secondly all they ever do is run and tackle hard. . . Pretty hard to enjoy.

hulinat

50298981cd33f4c5615592e268b9204a.png

BerkeleyBernie

I watched a little of USA-Mexico friendly, and the US actually played a little tiki-taka in the midfield in some moments, something you would have never seen in previous years. Michael Bradley is actually a decent midfielder playing a roaming connective role. The passing breaks down when the ball is moved to a player with no triangle options, but at least they are trying to move the ball more securely up the field than before.

XaviMessiGirl

I don't understand why people get so angry when an American calls it soccer. First of all, it's not even originally an American term, and second of all, it's just a cultural difference. It's like how there are English words that have completely different meanings in the US and UK, neither are "wrong" (except for maybe getting some funny looks if you visit the other country) but it's what people were taught is the correct term.

Personally, I say "football" if I'm talking to a non-American or a largely non-American group of people, like on the forum. But in the US, I still have to call it soccer or else people assume I'm talking about the NFL. Or if I'm talking about MLS in any context or anything about Americans' involvement in the sport, I'll usually refer to it as soccer then.

Paganinisrvnge

My parents are both Colombian but I was born and raised in the U.S. so I was never super into football at first but it was still part of my family's culture and when the 98 world cup rolled around I was 7 years old and got SUPER into it. I really liked the Netherlands because they had cool orange kits and were fun to watch and I also for some reason liked Yugoslavia. I didn't care about either the Colombian national team or the US team at the time and I don't even remember watching the final. I then didn't care about the sport too much until 2002 when I would stay up super late to watch matches with my oldest brother and I remember watching the final. I wanted Germany to win. Then the same thing happened until 2006 rolled around and I was again very interested in the world cup. It wasn't until 2010 when I realized the world cup was around the corner that I started reading more about who the best players were and when I read about Messi I decided to stream a Barcelona match. Within the first 4 or 5 matches I watched were Messi's brilliant performance vs Real Zaragoza where he had a hat trick and earned a penalty which he let Zlatan take and then the Arsenal 4 goal super hat trick. I was instantly in love and have watched every match that I can and learned so much about the sport.

How I see the US national team now is with a passive interest. I rooted for them in 2010 and the Landon Donovan goal vs Algeria was absolutely thrilling but I never doubted they had no chance vs real opposition. I feel the same way this year. I'll be surprised if the U.S. makes it out of the group. Whether the U.S. will become a truly good national team is still in the air. I feel the accessibility of the sport now with streaming and channels like Bein, Fox Soccer, ESPN, NBC, etc. showing matches that it's exposing a lot more people.

dakt

I don't understand why people get so angry when an American calls it soccer. First of all, it's not even originally an American term, and second of all, it's just a cultural difference. It's like how there are English words that have completely different meanings in the US and UK, neither are "wrong" (except for maybe getting some funny looks if you visit the other country) but it's what people were taught is the correct term.

Personally, I say "football" if I'm talking to a non-American or a largely non-American group of people, like on the forum. But in the US, I still have to call it soccer or else people assume I'm talking about the NFL. Or if I'm talking about MLS in any context or anything about Americans' involvement in the sport, I'll usually refer to it as soccer then.

footyfan

Calma, calma
My parents are both Colombian but I was born and raised in the U.S. so I was never super into football at first but it was still part of my family's culture and when the 98 world cup rolled around I was 7 years old and got SUPER into it. I really liked the Netherlands because they had cool orange kits and were fun to watch and I also for some reason liked Yugoslavia. I didn't care about either the Colombian national team or the US team at the time and I don't even remember watching the final. I then didn't care about the sport too much until 2002 when I would stay up super late to watch matches with my oldest brother and I remember watching the final. I wanted Germany to win. Then the same thing happened until 2006 rolled around and I was again very interested in the world cup. It wasn't until 2010 when I realized the world cup was around the corner that I started reading more about who the best players were and when I read about Messi I decided to stream a Barcelona match. Within the first 4 or 5 matches I watched were Messi's brilliant performance vs Real Zaragoza where he had a hat trick and earned a penalty which he let Zlatan take and then the Arsenal 4 goal super hat trick. I was instantly in love and have watched every match that I can and learned so much about the sport.

How I see the US national team now is with a passive interest. I rooted for them in 2010 and the Landon Donovan goal vs Algeria was absolutely thrilling but I never doubted they had no chance vs real opposition. I feel the same way this year. I'll be surprised if the U.S. makes it out of the group. Whether the U.S. will become a truly good national team is still in the air. I feel the accessibility of the sport now with streaming and channels like Bein, Fox Soccer, ESPN, NBC, etc. showing matches that it's exposing a lot more people.

lol you certainly picked the right time to be a Messi fan. That period had the best and most entertaining Messi I've seen so far, no one could touch him.

dakt

Funny that he talks about Messi...I seen a video where guy questions random people in US about soccer and famous players.
Almost everyone knew who Cristiano is, but very few knew who is Messi. :)

Chainsaw

Killahead
Well if it was "soccer" then the governing body of the related sport should have been called "FISA" not "FIFA".

I still don't understand why Americans call theirs Football. It's more of a hand and ball than foot and the ball.

Galning

Voted yes although I don't really "support" them. I like them as a team though and hope they have a good WC. In international football I always decide who I'm going to support depending on who's playing who :lol: So judging from their group it looks like I'll support them in all of their 3 group games.

dakt

I tried following american football, I really did...but it's just impossible to do so since actions lasts about 5 seconds....takes a minute to assemble and start again. And just WAY TO MUCH of american patriotism...NFL is more of the show then a sport really.
Then, I was in NYC two years ago, watched Yankees, game was lasting for about 3 1/2 hours...extremely bored. So yep, it's NBA for me.

Pepe Silvia

I feel the accessibility of the sport now with streaming and channels like Bein, Fox Soccer, ESPN, NBC, etc. showing matches that it's exposing a lot more people.
Well I still feel like there is a lot of work to be done in this area for the sport to be accessible. Streams are inconvenient and not reliable, and most channels still require an additional cost if you want to watch La Liga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Arg/Bra Leagues, etc. Only EPL and CL are widely available. That's hardly scratching the surface when it comes to having an overall understanding of the world game.

With all these hurdles its no wonder why most Americans don't bother with the sport. One would have to be very inclined to get into the sport on their own. In my case, I love researching and learning new things, so it was right up my alley to investigate and get into it but not everyone has that type of enthusiasm and because of that the sport is losing millions of dollars. Serious restructuring has to be done from the ground up, new contracts have to be established with the networks, corporations have to take risks on advertising and marketing dollars, colleges have to scrap their recruiting process and work hand in hand with youth leagues to scout talent. Everything about the old model was designed for decades past, but this is a new age, and America has to do much more to catch up and modernize but in order to do that it has to familiarize itself with general principles and rules first. American foo... soccer is trying to run before it can walk.

Home of Barca Fans