Ciro Immobile

BBZ8800

But how come you recognize that today's era means players score a lot of goals easier, but at the same time think Barca will have nobody to score goals once Messi and Suarez are gone?

The era doesn't change. You have somebody like Immobile scoring 36, it's not unlikely sometime in the next 2 years after Messi and Suarez are gone, some Barca player will bag even more than that, with a much better team behind them than Lazio.

It goes like this:
In 90s, top scorers in Italy were scoring 10-20
In Spain more due to more (15-25) attacking football

Today, players can score 30-40 in all big leagues

So, best players today score way more goals than 15-30 years ago.

About Barca, our new Fc will score more goals than Milan's attackers from 90s.
But we had the best player in the world.
Our new potential Cfs are a clown Lautaro, Jesus, too young Asu, too young Trincao etc.

Basically, you are comparing Ac Milan who won 4:0 against Barca with Lautaro, Fati and Trincao.

Top talent players could score 30-40 goals at Barca: Halaand, Salah, Mbappe.
About Trincao and Fati, I really don't want to argue.
Feel free to read between the lines.

So, our quality post Messi is so average that even in inflated era of goals, we will struggle with goals.

MTL_Barca

Milan is definitely a special case though, just for comparison in the same season 93/94 Bayern had 68:37 goals, Barca 91:42, ManUtd 80:38.

The season before: Milan 65:32, Bremen 63:30, Barca 87:34, ManUtd 67:31

The season after: Juventus 59:32, Dortmund 67:33, Real 76:29, Blackburn 80:39

The numbers went up since then but some of these results could be from current seasons as well though so i wouldn't say every striker would automatically score that much less if teams were still able to score 80+ goals back then too.

Biggest difference is how the bigger teams get farther and farther ahead and it especially shows in Germany, France and Italy without the luxury of multiple rich clubs. Bayern, Juve and PSG winning the next like 5 titles as well wouldn't be a bold prediction at all as of now what honestly is a bit sad but it is what is.

But that history lesson doesn't say much anyway, it's not like you need strikers scoring 40+ each unless all other players can't score or the defense sucks...what is the case for us now so Messi needs to score and assist like crazy but it's not like it has to stay like that forever.

Last edited:

serghei

It goes like this:
In 90s, top scorers in Italy were scoring 10-20
In Spain more due to more (15-25) attacking football

Today, players can score 30-40 in all big leagues

So, best players today score way more goals than 15-30 years ago.

About Barca, our new Fc will score more goals than Milan's attackers from 90s.
But we had the best player in the world.
Our new potential Cfs are a clown Lautaro, Jesus, too young Asu, too young Trincao etc.

Basically, you are comparing Ac Milan who won 4:0 against Barca with Lautaro, Fati and Trincao.

Top talent players could score 30-40 goals at Barca: Halaand, Salah, Mbappe.
About Trincao and Fati, I really don't want to argue.
Feel free to read between the lines.

So, our quality post Messi is so average that even in inflated era of goals, we will struggle with goals.

Fati has 20-25 goals even now if he takes penalties and plays all games he's available. He got what, 8 goals in La Liga without pens and playing here and there?

And also he scored those goals being in a very limited role. Imagine a huge chunk of service would go to him more consistently. I say even 17 year old Fati is a 15-20 goals a season player at Barcelona.

BBZ8800

Milan is definitely a special case though, just for comparison in the same season 93/94 Bayern had 68:37 goals, Barca 91:42, ManUtd 80:38.

The season before: Milan 65:32, Bremen 63:30, Barca 87:34, ManUtd 67:31

The season after: Juventus 59:32, Dortmund 67:33, Real 76:29, Blackburn 80:39

The numbers went up since then but some of these results could be from current seasons as well though so i wouldn't say every striker would automatically score less if teams were still able to score 80+ goals back then too.

Biggest difference is how the bigger teams get farther and farther ahead and it especially shows in Germany, France and Italy without the luxury of multiple rich clubs. Bayern, Juve and PSG winning the next like 5 titles as well wouldn't be a bold prediction at all as of now what honestly is a bit sad but it is what is.

There are a few factors:
Italian football was catanaccio back then.
1:0 and you park the bus to some extent.
In Spain though, teams always played more attacking football.
In England, they always played run and gun 3:3 and 4:4 football.
Plus, Italy had too many bigger teams with 0:0 derby matches.

So, if attackers from Italy in 90s scored less than attackers in Spain, it does 't mean that Spanish strikers were better.

Check the number of goals scored from Itslian champions in 90s and Spanish champions.

El Gato

Villarato!
But how come you recognize that today's era means players score a lot of goals easier, but at the same time think Barca will have nobody to score goals once Messi and Suarez are gone?

Without going off-topic too much, this is not being said about Barcelona in a feat of hypocrisy, and if anyone reckons so it's largely due to trends in boardroom. Poor judgement and assembly of somewhat incompatible talent. Nothing huge. You can go throwing maybes around that you'll get a good striker who'll bang 30 in. Even Benzema got close. Doesn't mean much.

MTL_Barca

There are a few factors:
Italian football was catanaccio back then.
1:0 and you park the bus to some extent.
In Spain though, teams always played more attacking football.
In England, they always played run and gun 3:3 and 4:4 football.
Plus, Italy had too many bigger teams with 0:0 derby matches.

So, if attackers from Italy in 90s scored less than attackers in Spain, it does 't mean that Spanish strikers were better.

Check the number of goals scored from Itslian champions in 90s and Spanish champions.

Yeah you're definitely right about the style of football,i was just looking up the numbers for myself so i thought i might just post them here.

Since you mentioned Messi/Ronaldo, i was actually surprised to see Barca/Real score like that even back then so if the team could score 80-90 like today then individual players should've been able to pull off similar numbers as well or at least i don't see a reason why that woul be out of the question. For their all-time stats it's more about their (and the clubs) unreal consistency that puts them so far ahead. So maybe their numbers are slightly skewed but even if we factor that in they probably still outscore everyone else by far and tbh i have a hard time imagining to see this repeated anytime soon. Messi already pretty much made maximum use of his time, basically scoring record numbers every season for his whole career. Can't get much more efficient than that. But i guess that's not really the topic of discussion anymore :)

Last edited:

Morten

Heard he had a shocker.
Strange guy, scores for fun when he plays for Lazio but his record for Italy isn't good, 15 goals in 54 appearances.

Temptation

Heard he had a shocker.
Strange guy, scores for fun when he plays for Lazio but his record for Italy isn't good, 15 goals in 54 appearances.

It's the Serie A.

It made Lukaku look like R9. All these veterans and has beens score for fun in Italy. A 36 year old Quagliarella had 26 league goals in a season.

Everyone looks a world beater there.

Immobile failed in Dorrmund and Sevilla. Now he's in his "comfort zone". Fair play to him he has salvaged a lovely career at Lazio and is very consistent in the league.

Temptation

Becomes the 4th player after Ronaldo Messi Lewandowski to score 25 league goals atleast 3 times.

Consistently been pretty awesome for his club.

Temptation

???

Kane and Suarez have also done that.

They haven't apparently. Saw this on reddit.

Have they scored more than 25 league goals in atleast 3 seasons? I can remember 2 such seasons of Suarez in top 5 leagues...Ajax doesn't count here

Home of Barca Fans