Nelson Semedo

xXKonan

There were rumors we wanted at least 50 Million for him, but with Covid-19 happening and the fact Inter decided to go for someone like Hakimi and City weren't interested in a swap deal with Cancelo means any deal for him was dead.

He was willing to leave if we had an offer from a team that he was willing to go but it never came so he's staying.

serghei

BBZ, you were right about Semedo? :lol: That's why he's attracted interest from Atletico, Juventus, PSG and City over the last 2 seasons, 4 of the best 6 teams in the world?

You have a funny definition man. Malcom, Alena, these were meant to be squad players and they'd make a great job at that, especially Malcom. Demebele has been suffering from injuries, he'd be a very good weapon for us if not for injuries.

The real flops in this team weren't young signings for 20-40m or La Masia players. Were players we signed for 100m+ without thinking how they fit in this team with Messi and Suarez.

Only sure flop in that area because of lack of quality was Gomes.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

BBZ, you were right about Semedo? :lol: That's why he's attracted interest from Atletico, Juventus, PSG and City over the last 2 seasons, 4 of the best 6 teams in the world?

You have a funny definition man. Malcom, Alena, these were meant to be squad players and they'd make a great job at that, especially Malcom. Demebele has been suffering from injuries, he'd be a very good weapon for us if not for injuries.

The real flops in this team weren't young signings for 20-40m or La Masia players. Were players we signed for 100m+ without thinking how they fit in this team with Messi and Suarez.

Only sure flop in that area because of lack of quality was Gomes.

When I say 30% of good signings, I meant:
1. Players who reached expectations
2. And stayed here for 4 years or more

There are 1000s of reasons why players don't reach expectations.
Alfonso Perez
Geovanni Deiberson
Simao
Gerard Lopez
Christanval
Fabio Rochemback
Zenden
Ronald De Boer
Litmanen
Rustu
Enke
Bonano
Patrik Anderson
Quaresma
Riquelme
Mendieta
Dani
Zambrotta
Gudjohnsen
Ezquerro

Those are some of players from early 2000s.

If a player returns his money, like Semedo or Alexis, he is still a flop.
Alexis hasn't reached expectations here.
Semedo was a 2nd choice to Roberto for 2 years.
And now he is a starter who offered nothing in attack for 3 seasons.
So, yes, Semedo is a flop or disappointment even if we get 40m back.

In current era, all these midfielders were flops: Fabregas, Paulinho, Arda, Gomes, Denis, Samper, Alena, even Arthur.

Players who brought some value are: Raki, Vidal.

That's my definition of flops.
Denis, Gomes, Arthur are all flops.

Denis and Gomes were memes.
And Arthur went from the 2nd best midfielder in the world by you and our fans to the 5th choice under both coaches.

So, he is a flop in sporting terms, in spite of money returned.

MTL_Barca

I wouldn't say someone like Semedo is a flop, if you buy a player for 35M today you can't expect world class level. He's usually doing a decent job whenever he plays and it's not easy to find RBs that are much better than him.

Gomes on the other hand was a real flop, he basically never contributed much at all. An actual decent CM at that time would've helped the team so much but instead we got a meme. Recovering money is nice and all but at the end of the day it was a lot of wasted time.

serghei

Flop is a player that is losing the club money. A player you buy for 30m and sell for 50m. for example isn't a flop just because you decided to sell.

Arda Turan, Gomes, Dembele, Coutinho and possibly Griezmann.

All those are flops, for different reasons.

Semedo is never a flop :lol:.

Seems to me you consider whatever players you don't like flops.

Last edited:

Birdy

Semedo is not a flop because he is not as good as Dani Alves.
As I explained in another thread, there are only 3-4 RBs at the moment in the world that are rightfully considered better than Semedo. Then it's the old guard that is retiring,
And then it's Semedo.
Market and interest from other clubs says so, irrespective of what you think about his attacking output.

Fati was the fastest this season alongside Semedo, alba, and braithwate. Just look at his highest recorded speed.
Fati has a 33.8 km/h, which would be in the top10 LaLiga players or somewthere there. He is right below Mendy in this list. But given his agility and ability to turn while running that other players don't have, makes this speed even more valuable (for example Nacho recorded a 34.6 a couple of years back, but Nacho cannot turn or dribble. So his speed is only useful when making a sprint to return to defense. Fati's or Dembele's speed, on the contrary, because they are agile and can dribble, so they cannot only catch a long ball but can also run with the ball and go past opponents at some percentage of that speed, has higher proportional value)
Now, @khaled I cannot browse all the pages of Fati's thread to find the argument why he is not fast. Maybe you can repeat it if you remember it.

As for his aerial abilities, when he can jump so high to score a header that current day Suarez could not have scored, then it shows something. He is not used as an aerial threat in the box, because his other skills are more wanted, and rightfully so.
But he can be an aerial threat, especially when coming from the one wing to meet cross coming from the other wing.

As for his shooting, look at the goals against Inter Milan and Leganes recently. Perfect accuracy, spotting the opening even between defenders' legs, enough speed to beat the goalkeeper. No ricochet or anything like what you say. Maybe study him again. Shot power, like I said above, usually develops later in the age of a footballer, so I don't even consider it as a problem.

As for the rest (@BBZ8800) I will reply later. Your arguments suffer from logical gaps and inconsistencies.
By the way the Ronaldo video you posted is from Ronaldo aged 20, not 17. Big difference.

Rory

Flop is a player that is losing the club money. A player you buy for 30m and sell for 50m. for example isn't a flop just because you decided to sell.

Arda Turan, Gomes, Dembele, Coutinho and possibly Griezmann.

All those are flops, for different reasons.

Semedo is never a flop :lol:.

Seems to me you consider whatever players you don't like flops.

If you purchase one player for whatever amount of money you are not signing another player that could potentially be far better than them. That is why I would consider them flops. Let's be genuinely honest here, the players we sold for the same amount/profit were not good enough to be here and we were very lucky to get the money we did for them.

The cost of signing players like Gomes is far higher than what we got for him, it has ruined the strength of our midfield for the last 3-4 seasons and we're now only recovering from that with Frenkie and Puig coming into the frame. Sure you don't have to look at the business side of things being a flop but the actual players in a sporting sense were flops.

serghei

If you purchase one player for whatever amount of money you are not signing another player that could potentially be far better than them. That is why I would consider them flops. Let's be genuinely honest here, the players we sold for the same amount/profit were not good enough to be here and we were very lucky to get the money we did for them.

The cost of signing players like Gomes is far higher than what we got for him, it has ruined the strength of our midfield for the last 3-4 seasons and we're now only recovering from that with Frenkie and Puig coming into the frame. Sure you don't have to look at the business side of things being a flop but the actual players in a sporting sense were flops.

In the case of Gomes yea, that is true. Most of the players we sold were either squad players, or even lower than that. Digne, Alcacer, etc. no doubt were good enough to play for us as squad players, which is the position they were brought for in the first place.

Turan, Gomes, Coutinho, Dembele, and possibly Griezmann. Those are the flops for me since Lucho days. To be a flop, a transfer has to be a high-money signing challenging for the first team position and failing at that.

And I make a distinction between flops and bad players. Can be totally the opposite, a player can be a world class forward and not fit in the setup of the team at that point, Griezmann being the perfect example.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Serghei, about your argument about money returned.

We wanted to rejuvenate our midfield.
We bought Arda, Gomes, Denis, Paulinho, Arthur.
4 years later, more or less we still play with Raki-Busi.

So, we haven't lost money on these guys in terms of transfer fees.
But we lost money on wages, agents, bonuses, taxes.
We lost 4 years for nothing.
We lost CL titles.
And now with new players like Frenkie, we again have to go through the same process of waiting and him learning the system.

We bought Semedo to be a starter.
A guy was benched by Roberto who is not even a RB for two years.

@Birdy, Semedo is the worst RB since Gaspart's era of Reiziger and Gabri.

Birdy

On Semedo:
He was not benched by Roberto. Valverde made it that he was benched by Roberto.
Big difference. Setien already in half a season showed how he should be used, and already improved him (evidence here and here)
He was only 23 when we bought him, and threw him in the black hole of a non-existent tactical plan, then people whining he is not good.
What do you expect people? Frenkie De Jong was top3 midfielder in Europe in 18/19, and this season when thrown into the same black hole, he disappeared.
Imagine how improved Semedo would have been by now, if we had a proper coach and tactical plan to smooth him in.

"Semedo is the worst RB since Gaspart's era of Reiziger and Gabri"
lol
RBs since the era of Reiziger and Gabri:
Puyol only as a nominal RB, in reality a CB
Belleti
Zambrotta
Dani Alves
and Roberto

RBs better than Semedo since Gaspart days:
Dani Alves
[who happens to be one the best in the history of the sport in the position.]
RBs worse than Semedo since Gaspart days:
all the rest

Then, obviously:lol: you are right...

Last edited:

BBZ8800

RBs better than Semedo since Gaspart days:
Dani Alves
[who happens to be one the best in the history of the sport in the position.]
RBs worse than Semedo since Gaspart days:
all the rest

Then, obviously:lol: you are right...

Wait, Semedo is better than Belletti, Zambrotta and Roberto?

Well, at least you are a funny guy.
I'll give you that.

** You forgot that Oleguer and Sylvinho also played as RBs.
We actually won a CL in 2006 with Oleguer is the first choice RB.
He was as equally as horrible in attack as Semedo but he defended better and offered an aerial strength against crosses and corners vs Chelsea, Arsenal and Ac Milan.

About Setien playing Semedo, wasn't Roberto injured twice in the last 6 Months so Semedo had to play?

Anyway, don't bother, I won't even try to understand how can anyone defend Semedo's attacking input.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans