Saul Niguez

El Flaco

Release clause is set at 150M€. He's bound to Atletico for his life.

Given to the inflation of transfer market for each year it passes, I don't think €150m will be too heafty to sign a great player like Saúl in future.

That being said, I expect Saúl to stay with them for more or less the rest of his career.

Respect for Saul, this kind of players are rare in modern football.

Tbf, Atlético de Madrid is a top tier club in European football who challenge for UCL, Liga & CdR every season.

And Saúl has been a starter for the past 2 seasons and is a Rojiblanco himself. I'd like to know how much his wage is compared to rest of Atleti.

I've always said Saúl wasn't gonna leave them, so his contract extension isn't a surprise.

Messi983

Given to the inflation of transfer market for each year it passes, I don't think €150m will be too heafty to sign a great player like Saúl in future.

I know that but just him making that longterm commitment to the club is worth a lot of respect.

Devils

Amazing player and definitely one of my favourite non-Barca players.

A nine year contract is a bit crazy though, he's 22 years old and has basically committed his entire top level career to Atletico. Honourable move, but football changes rapidly and this could come back to haunt him.

Alik

Seems like a silly move. I wonder if he will get to renegotiate his salary over these nine years.

Robbie

Seems like a silly move. I wonder if he will get to renegotiate his salary over these nine years.

8 years ago, 91M€ for Ronaldo was seen as insane and he was already a Ballon D'or and champions league winner who scored 42 goals that season. A few years later, Gareth Bale who isn't nearly as good sells for 100M€. Now we're talking about an 18 year old Kylian Mbappe selling for a potential 120M€.

I wonder what transfer value will be considered "normal" in 5 years. Maybe Saul's release clause will be considered a bargain, at the rate things are going at.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Gil Marin, Atletico Madrid Director said that Bartomeu called him in the summer and told him they needed a player with the attributes of Saul and intended to pay his buyout clause, BUT......that he had no clue they had just days prior to that signed a new contract with him upped his buyout from 80m to 150m....

:facepalm: :lol:

[tw]946521434838503424[/tw]

Jombi

8 years ago, 91M€ for Ronaldo was seen as insane and he was already a Ballon D'or and champions league winner who scored 42 goals that season. A few years later, Gareth Bale who isn't nearly as good sells for 100M€. Now we're talking about an 18 year old Kylian Mbappe selling for a potential 120M€.

I wonder what transfer value will be considered "normal" in 5 years. Maybe Saul's release clause will be considered a bargain, at the rate things are going at.

Yes, not surprisingly, Mbappe went for 180m and yes, Saul for 150m can be a bargain soon. :lol: The guy is a sensational player and only 23. Considering our incredible negotiation skills, release clauses offer a very good opportunity for us.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Gil Marin, Atletico Madrid Director said that Bartomeu called him in the summer and told him they needed a player with the attributes of Saul and intended to pay his buyout clause, BUT......that he had no clue they had just days prior to that signed a new contract with him upped his buyout from 80m to 150m....

:facepalm: :lol:

[tw]946521434838503424[/tw]

I don't even blame Bartomeu. It's not his job to know that. What it does tell me there is lack of communication between president and sports directors as this is their job.

It is embarrassing though.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I don't even blame Bartomeu. It's not his job to know that. What it does tell me there is lack of communication between president and sports directors as this is their job.

It is embarrassing though.

Yes I agree.

The entire summer was a mess and it just keep getting worse. Not that missing out on Saul was a disaster, but the way we went on about things. Not to forget how we almost managed to sign Di Maria of all players too.....

What annoys me is that it seem like no one was held accountable.

Last edited:

George_Costanza

Could be on the market this summer for less, as ATM are desperately looking to offload players to pay off hundreds of millions owed to a Mexican bank owned by Carlos Slim.

Home of Barca Fans