Saul Niguez

Jombi

Saúl has been great for Atleti this season, sure, but it seems like an exaggeration..

Denis Suárez, Marco Asensio and Antonio Sanabria (to name a few) have done very well for their respective club as well.

Their performances pale in comparison to Saul this season.

Jombi

Funny no one talked about Saul here before his goal v Bayern :lol:

We were even linked with Saul before his goal vs Bayern and it was discussed here, but the overall conclusion is that he is unavailable and unrealistic and his style of play might not be the best suited for us, so there isnt much to talk about.

J

Jamie Cal

Saúl has been great for Atleti this season, sure, but it seems like an exaggeration..

Denis Suárez, Marco Asensio and Antonio Sanabria (to name a few) have done very well for their respective club as well.

Asensio hasn't, he's been really inconsistent, even see Espanyol fans say it. He has talent but is a long way. Sanab has been good ish but it's been a while since he's scored too, a big part of his hype has been the hattricks which is a credit to him, but that's still 2 games out of a lot more.

Denis has been brilliant, Bailly and Jonny Otto have been great too, but Saul's on another level for my money.

J

Jamie Cal

Just because he hasn't been talked about here much doesn't mean he hasn't been brilliant - I commented in Koke's thread last month and it was the first comment in like a year, he's been obviously brilliant.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Just because he hasn't been talked about here much doesn't mean he hasn't been brilliant - I commented in Koke's thread last month and it was the first comment in like a year, he's been obviously brilliant.

Not my point.

No one talked about him as a potential signing before that goal. Not to say he hasn't been doing well. It's like highlights moments is what makes most people really appreciate a player which shouldn't really be the case.

Saul has showed a steady improvement since he re-joined Atletico and has really exploded since the turn of the year.

J

Jamie Cal

Asensio has actually turned out to be a great signing for Espanyol, was even one of the main reasons why they manage to escape from relegation zone. Much of their offensive goes through him. He's simply the real deal. As for Sanabria, quite impressive to reach 10+ goals (in which almost all of them lead to crucial wins/draw) for a relegation threatning team. Not least considering he's struggling with injuries this season.

Saúl has done quite well but I think it's far fetched to suggest he's waay superior compared to the other names.

Asensio is the real deal in terms of ability but their offence is supposed to go through him, he plays as a number 10, that's what's supposed to happen and even then he's been all too inconsistent, even Guillem Balague said it recently and he's an Espanyol fan. Like I said about Sanab, he's done well, but like I said a big part of that is the 2 hat tricks, you can't say almost all of them when that accounts for more than half. That said, I appreciate he's not always the starter.

There really isn't a lot to compete with Saul at all. Look through the top 10 and barely any young players have shone throughout the season. Real and Barca pretty much have none at this point (24 years old shouldn't count), Valencia's young guys haven't had a good season, Sevilla play old battleworn men, it's only Villarreal that have quite a few. Our Halil has had a good season too.

Maybe Denis has an argument, but it's definitely Saul. There really isn't a huge amount of young talent in the league that have been big parts of their team's season.

J

Jamie Cal

Not my point.

No one talked about him as a potential signing before that goal. Not to say he hasn't been doing well. It's like highlights moments is what makes most people really appreciate a player which shouldn't really be the case.

Saul has showed a steady improvement since he re-joined Atletico and has really exploded since the turn of the year.

Fair enough. Tbf, I think the press have played a part in talks of us getting him too. You see our 'first option' clause on the front of Sport etc.

khaled_a_d

Asensio has actually turned out to be a great signing for Espanyol, was even one of the main reasons why they manage to escape from relegation zone. Much of their offensive goes through him. He's simply the real deal. As for Sanabria, quite impressive to reach 10+ goals (in which almost all of them lead to crucial wins/draw) for a relegation threatning team. Not least considering he's struggling with injuries this season.

Saúl has done quite well but I think it's far fetched to suggest he's waay superior compared to the other names.

Well ,I think to put it right Saul is the best young player in Liga .but he isn't that far away from the others
As for Asensio ,for all the talking about young players we missed this one hurt the most
Gr8 talent ,Barca fan ,perfect fit and we had a deal with Mallorca for him
Suddenly we pull out ,said it was b/c we have Adama :lol: and use the money for Douglas :lol:

yahudi

Well ,I think to put it right Saul is the best young player in Liga .but he isn't that far away from the others
As for Asensio ,for all the talking about young players we missed this one hurt the most
Gr8 talent ,Barca fan ,perfect fit and we had a deal with Mallorca for him
Suddenly we pull out ,said it was b/c we have Adama :lol: and use the money for Douglas :lol:

At the time of the supposed Mallorca deal Barca B already acquired Halilovic, Bicho and Camara. And they still had Babunski and Roman to compete over 2 possible positions.

In hindsight, Eusebio and Zubi gambled on the wrong talent. But if Asensio had come to Barca B last season, he surely would not have made the progress he did in the last 2 years.

khaled_a_d

At the time of the supposed Mallorca deal Barca B already acquired Halilovic, Bicho and Camara. And they still had Babunski and Roman to compete over 2 possible positions.

In hindsight, Eusebio and Zubi gambled on the wrong talent. But if Asensio had come to Barca B last season, he surely would not have made the progress he did in the last 2 years.

We had the deal already tbh ,if it wasn't for that I would have understood it
But backing off the deal of a player we already had an agreement on was a mistake IMHO .and we could have handed him back to Mallorca if we though we can't develop him in Barca B
It was an awful assessment IMHO .had we got both him and Halilovic at same year it would have been perfect from Zubi

Jombi

Not my point.

No one talked about him as a potential signing before that goal.

Look in the transfer thread. We were linked with him before that goal and it was discussed but dismissed as unrealistic even though he is a great player. Its like talking about James or Koke as potential signings. We dont have the money and its just not realistic.

Last edited:

El Flaco

I doubt if Saúl is acutally even the best young player in his own team, especially when likes of José Giménez & Jan Oblak are way more influential than him. Simply because these two players have a huge part of why Atlético de Madrid have the best defence in Europe.

Home of Barca Fans