Puyol to leave Barca in June

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Barca captain, Carles Puyol announced he is leaving the club at the end of the season.

dejare-barca-junio-1393947839417.jpg

“The reason I have called you here today is to tell you that at the end of the season I will no longer be an FC Barcelona player."

"The Club knows about this and we are agreed on the matter and how it should be dealt with. We shall rescind my contract and leave it without effect for the two years that were left on it."

"After two very serious operations, I’m finding it very hard to get back to the level I need to be at to stay here. Much more than I thought and much more than the surgeons told me. That’s why I have made this decision."

"I’d like to say three things on the matter:

1.- I’m not going today. There are three months of the season left and anyone that knows me will know that I won’t give up and I’ll keep fighting to the end to try to improve and help the team to achieve its objectives this season.

2.- I don’t know what I’ll do after June 30, but what I am sure of is that when the season ends I’m going to need to get some rest. I haven’t stopped for four years because of injuries. After that, we’ll see what happens.

3.- And finally I’d like to give a press conference at the end of the season and say farewell to all the people that have accompanied me though these 19 years. Whoever wants to, whoever can, presidents, directors, coaches, team-mates, people from the club, reporters, friends, relatives, that day I’ll answer whatever questions they want. Thank you very much and I’ll see you soon!”

(source: FC Barcelona official website)

F

Flavia

Carles Puyol announces he is leaving FC Barcelona at the end of the season

www.fcbarcelona.cat

03/04/2014 16:00

The FC Barcelona captain made the announcement to the media on Tuesday afternoon

2013-10-20_OTRO_OSASUNA-BARCELONA_06-Optimized.v1393948009.JPG

Carles Puyol made an announcement to the press on Tuesday afternoon at the Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper that he is leaving the club at the end of the current season. Here is a translation of his exact words:
“The reason I have called you here today is to tell you that at the end of the season I will no longer be an FC Barcelona player. The Club knows about this and we are agreed on the matter and how it should be dealt with. We shall rescind my contract and leave it without effect for the two years that were left on it.

After two very serious operations, I’m finding it very hard to get back to the level I need to be at to stay here.
Much more than I thought and much more than the surgeons told me. That’s why I have made this decision.

I’d like to say three things on the matter:

1.- I’m not going today. There are three months of the season left and anyone that knows me will know that I won’t give up and I’ll keep fighting to the end to try to improve and help the team to achieve its objectives this season.

2.- I don’t know what I’ll do after June 30, but what I am sure of is that when the season ends I’m going to need to get some rest. I haven’t stopped for four years because of injuries. After that, we’ll see what happens.

3.- And finally I’d like to give a press conference at the end of the season and say farewell to all the people that have accompanied me though these 19 years. Whoever wants to, whoever can, presidents, directors, coaches, team-mates, people from the club, reporters, friends, relatives, that day I’ll answer whatever questions they want. Thank you very much and I’ll see you soon!”

Carles Puyol, a blaugrana's life

The best videos of Barça's captain career

Ten highlights of Puyol's career at FC Barcelona

www.fcbarcelona.cat
03/04/2014 17:05

At the end of the season, the FC Barcelona captain is leaving the club after 14 years

He has played a total of 593 games and has scored 18 goals

2011-05-29_CELEBRACION_06-Optimized.v1393946462.JPG

Carles Puyol has announced that he is leaving the club after 14 years in the first team, in which time he has made 593 appearances and scored 18 goals.
Here we pick out ten highlights of the career of one of the finest defenders ever to play for the club:

• 2 October 1999. Louis van Gaal hands him his first team debut in a game at Valladolid, where the Catalan came on as a second half substitute for Simao. He’d go on to play 37 games that season.
  • 21 October 2000. Aged just 22 years, Llorenç Serra Ferrer ordered him to man-mark Luis Figo on the infamous day of his return to the Camp Nou as a Real Madrid player. Puyol was outstanding and Barça won 2-0.
  • 11 November 2001. His first goal, like his first match, was against Valladolid. Puyol, who originally played at right back, ran up the wing and finished off a one-two with Saviola to score the second goal in a 4-0 win.
  • 23 October 2002. The Puyol legend was consecrated by this action, when he used the club crest on his shirt to turn away a Lokomotiv Moscow strike and help his team to a 1-0 Champions League win.
  • 14 May 2005. Puyol spent five years at Barça without winning a major title, but that changed in 2004/05, his first year as captain. On May 14 at Levante, Barça drew 1-1 to ensure the Liga title under Frank Rijkaard.
  • 17 May 2006. Like Alexanko 14 years earlier, Carles Puyol got to lift the Champions league trophy. The epic 2-1 defeat of Arsenal on a rainy night in Paris helped ensure the legendary status of Carles Puyol.
  • 2 May 2009. Puyol probably never played a better game than he did the night of the 6-2 win at the Santiago Bernabéu. Barça came from behind to lead 2-1 with a Puyol header, which he celebrated by removing his armband and kissing it for the crowd.
  • 19 December 2009. The best Barça team of all time ended an unforgettable 2009 by winning its first Clubs World Cup, and Puyol was the man who got to lift the trophy in Abu Dhabi.
  • 28 May 2011. After another speedy recovery from injury, Puyol came on at the end of the Champions league final at Wembley. It was the third time he won it, but rather than collect the trophy, he gave the honour to Éric Abidal, who had suffered a liver tumour just months before.
  • 19 October 2013. After 220 days (seven months) side-lined with a knee injury, Carles Puyol once again donned the captain’s armband as he returned to action in a 0-0 draw at Osasuna (0-0).

15u0d0.jpg

Thank you, Puyi :cry:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Legend. Will always be missed. The definition of a leader. Carles Puyol, take a bow you beauty! We will never forget you and I hope you stay at the club or comes back in the future for a role within the administration or in the coaching staff.

barcanuck

Beyond Legend! He's a Catalan superhero.

- lion
- king
- wall
- beast
- tarzan
- barbarian
- captain
- leader
- catalan knight
- viking

All these words come to my mind when thinking of Carles. In the end his body is human.

May you rest well and have a glorious life after football!

tello

It is emotionally difficult to suffer a loss such as this when a player like Puyi announces his retirement...

I hope he'll remain in the club !

impeh

Hi, its me..
Sad day, but it had been coming :cry:

with both him and valdes leaving (it seems) thats two important personalities in the squad. :(

Cule4life

The Culest
You wont be forgotten. I will tell my children about you and they will tell theirs and your legend will be forever.....

Home of Barca Fans