Olivier Giroud

hulinat

Many Arsenal fans actually think this guy is worldclass

He is. I don't understand Wenger. He could make a great pairing of Giroud and Lord Bendtner. Arsenal would be unbeatable with those 2 beasts scoring like Kobe Bryant in a hotel Colorado.

GoobiePls

S♥NE
Idk I had a look at an arsenal forum earlier to see what they thought of Ozil, but out of curiosity checked the Giroud thread and just reading 1 page I saw comparisons to Messi/Lewa/etc.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Not even true and second of all, that really doesn't mean anything if it would have been true. Anyone can see that the difference between them is just huge.

My bad, I thought I read that somewhere but it was actually Drogba who he equaled, not Henry. And it doesn't mean anything, my post was more tongue in cheek than anything else.

By the way, a target man is not suited to playing with creative midfielders. It's just too static and he looks out of his depth.

I wouldn't say Giroud is just a target man, he's very good at being a post for the midfielders and playing clever one-twos, especially his cheeky little flick-ons.

PopularFlusteredEstuarinecrocodile.gif

arsenal.gif

And although I wouldn't say he's good at it, he often drifts out wide, so I wouldn't describe him as static. His conversion rate is poor, true, but I don't think he's reached his ceiling and once he refines his touch and finishing he could become that striker that we need.

pEllee

Ye, but the problem is that those flick-ons and one-twos never work against aggressive teams or against the top teams. You're not going to pass your way through a solid Chelsea side...
You're better off with more movement in behind and trying to counter attack. The one player that really offers that is out for the rest of the season and it really shows.

At the moment it's basically lots of creative midfielder that need movement around them with a striker that also needs movement around him to be effective. He's like a wall whose only use is to hold off defenders and play one-twos. He doesn't really make the runs you'd want to see from a striker.

Hopefully, next season we'll get to see Cazorla - Özil and Walcott together with another striker with more in his locker. The current approach with three creative midfielders behind Giroud only works against teams that sit back and when they're given some space in front of the back four.

A good second choice I suppose but he just gets exposed for the average player he is when up against top sides.

Idk I had a look at an arsenal forum earlier to see what they thought of Ozil, but out of curiosity checked the Giroud thread and just reading 1 page I saw comparisons to Messi/Lewa/etc.

Trolls.

Last edited:

ammarfcb

ze special one
giroud worldclass? ru havin a laf.

the problem with him as the 'target' man is he isn't a target man u hav endless creative midfielders trying to move the ball forward, and there's giroud, facing them knockin it back to them.

Last edited:

DB10

I doubt any fans think Giroud is worldclass, especially if you've seen Bergkamp, Henry and RvP play for you. He's a good striker, can hold it and bring others into play with some neat touches. He's never going to be the 'go to guy' like Aguero or Suarez.

X

Xavimascapenes

Giroud is definitely not WC and has been our worst starting striker for years. He's started the season well, then there was a massive slump in form around November and he has been poor ever since. He's played well vs Sunderland on the weekend though, maybe because he finally got a rest and actually some able competition in Sanogo. Still fails to make runs in behind the defence for some reason.

H

Haruko The Goon

He tries those flick on every single game. Twice they've come off and looked amazing. the other times extremely frustrating and just gives away possession.

Would rather a striker who's able to turn quickly and let off a shot.

Or pass and then run; Either into space, or to drag a defender out of position.

Giroud is a 6/10 type of striker and shouldn't be leading our line. He's a target man, yet has only scored 3 headers the entire season. He's got a terrible shot, and has terrible technique in general.

I'd sell for £7m.

Theconomist

He's an above average striker who's good at link up play and can finish his chances. He's got almost 100 career goals since 2008. Sure he's not Batistuta or Eusebio but he's decent.
I don't see the problem with Giroud. Often Arsenal are lackluster because the midfield isn't playing well not because Giroud can't finish his chances. Sure a better striker could improve them but it really isn't the missing piece of the puzzle. A very good DM and a reliable CAM (Ozil is like having a girlfriend who's a model but also bipolar) and a defender who could play in more than one position would be enough to take Arsenal to the next level. Even if they win nothing this season they can only build on this success next year.

H

Haruko The Goon

complete tosh Theconomist. Can finish his chances? TBF that's 6 years ago, 100 goals in 6 years s 16 on average pahahah.

Consider he's playing for Arsenal, with Ozil, Rosicky, Oxlade, Theo, Podolski, Wilshere, Ramsey alllll creating for him, he should be firing 30+ a season.

He's also playing for a club that is in the League, 2 domestic cups, and Europe every year. Some of his misses are diabolical.

Theconomist

complete tosh Theconomist. Can finish his chances? TBF that's 6 years ago, 100 goals in 6 years s 16 on average pahahah.

Consider he's playing for Arsenal, with Ozil, Rosicky, Oxlade, Theo, Podolski, Wilshere, Ramsey alllll creating for him, he should be firing 30+ a season.

He's also playing for a club that is in the League, 2 domestic cups, and Europe every year. Some of his misses are diabolical.

Nah mate, 16 goals/ season average is decent actually, thing is you focus too much on top teams.
Is Giroud a decent striker for a mid table team? Yes.
Is he good enough to be the main striker at a team challenging for 3 titles each year? No (and I never said that). HOWEVER, striking isn't your main problem. If you have Walcott healthy, bring back Campbell (who's having a great season), give some time to Sanogo so he can show himself then you SHOULD be set. Would a player like Suarez up front be better? Sure but if you guys bought players like that regularly you wouldn't have been trophyless for 8 years.
Or is it 9 now?

Home of Barca Fans