Josep Maria Bartomeu

Laplacian

EPL's ability to build its brand is commendable. Their production value (match presentation) is the best in Europe. The sound and visual quality of the matches makes La Liga and Serie A matches feel like they were played 15 years ago in comparison. The EPL channel just has abundance of match day and non-match programs that serve to "hype up" the matches and the EPL in general. In comparison La Liga and Serie A programming is pretty shit. German and French leagues don't even bother broadcasting themselves o as many countries as the first 3 do so I'm not even going to mention them lol.

I'm sympathetic to the plight of continental football leagues, but at the same time they're not even trying to fight against the EPL when it comes to marketing. La Liga basically just wasted the most prosperous period they're going to have for the next few decades. Instead of strengthening the "brand" of football clubs outside Madrid and Barcelona, they strengthened their duopoly and made the league even more top heavy. The new TV distribution deal came way too late to change that, and unfortunately it's still too conservative. Now even top teams can't even financially compete against EPL bottom feeders. lol they fucked up.

A quick fix would be to somehow restricting the movement of players within leagues, that way it would make it easier for leagues to retain their talent. They can take advantage of Brexit and impose "transfer tariffs" on buying clubs from the EPL, considering the majority of the talent there is foreign then it'd be a great gamble for UEFA.

Last edited:

SeloBarca

When the next President sees Bartomeus financing
K3Zo.gif

Last edited:

Barcilliant

Guaranteed next board and president are going to spend all their time blaming Barto and Co instead of looking to the future.
Football has become too much of a business nowadays. It's lost its soul.
I think UEFA and Fifa should take this to court. Teams like Sevilla, Villarreal, Valencia etc would suffer badly from a super league.

Jadentheman

EPL's ability to build its brand is commendable. Their production value (match presentation) is the best in Europe. The sound and visual quality of the matches makes La Liga and Serie A matches feel like they were played 15 years ago in comparison. The EPL channel just has abundance of match day and non-match programs that serve to "hype up" the matches and the EPL in general. In comparison La Liga and Serie A programming is pretty shit. German and French leagues don't even bother broadcasting themselves o as many countries as the first 3 do so I'm not even going to mention them lol.

I'm sympathetic to the plight of continental football leagues, but at the same time they're not even trying to fight against the EPL when it comes to marketing. La Liga basically just wasted the most prosperous period they're going to have for the next few decades. Instead of strengthening the "brand" of football clubs outside Madrid and Barcelona, they strengthened their duopoly and made the league even more top heavy. The new TV distribution deal came way too late to change that, and unfortunately it's still too conservative. Now even top teams can't even financially compete against EPL bottom feeders. lol they fucked up.

A quick fix would be to somehow restricting the movement of players within leagues, that way it would make it easier for leagues to retain their talent. They can take advantage of Brexit and impose "transfer tariffs" on buying clubs from the EPL, considering the majority of the talent there is foreign then it'd be a great gamble for UEFA.

The EPL also is broadcast in front of many eyes around the world. I can find an EPL match easily on tv. La liga? The past ten years I been streaming it online from unofficial sources. Now all the superstars are gone or will be gone. They lost their chance for worldwide relevance. EPL just keeps on growing.

Last edited:

Barcilliant

Epl already had an advantage because of the English language and the former colonies. I am from India. Even when La Liga was in its prime the Epl dominated in India. The majority are epl fans.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Been hearing this PL talk being strong for the past several years , but somehow they are getting slapped majority of the time in European cups. Biggest reason why PL is looking "better" the past year or 2 is the decline of the top clubs in Spain ( Barcelona Real Madrid and Atletico). And it's only a matter of time before at least one them gets going again. The likes of Sevilla are doing more than fine for example. Having more spending power doesn't equate to having a better teams.

Last edited:

Laplacian

Epl already had an advantage because of the English language and the former colonies. I am from India. Even when La Liga was in its prime the Epl dominated in India. The majority are epl fans.

I don't think that matters as much as people think it does. EPL is super popular in even countries with a VERY low English speaking population. Also countries with large English speaking populations like Kenyans, Nigerians, South Africans, Indians, Koreans, and so on don't have a "strong connection" with the various English cities like London, Leicester, Newcastle, Leeds, and whatever simply because they're English speaking; they don't know shit about them at all. It's not like English players get more exposure or be loved by foreign fans, it's usually the foreign players that have the star power, alongside the dozen or so English superstars that pop out per generation. Mahrez attracts Algerians to City. Argentinians to City because of Aguero. Ghanaians to Arsenal because of Partey and so on. The world isn't in tune with English culture just because they're English speaking, in fact foreign fans are so removed from English culture and football culture it's genuinely hilarious; people vastly overestimate this aspect a lot. Besides LaLiga TV already does pretty much everything in English, from commentary, punditry, interviews, and non-match day programmes.

What MATTERS is the distribution of and power behind their presentation. I bet you could count the amount of African countries without EPL coverage on one hand, whereas with the La Liga, French League, and Bundesliga you'd be in the dozens. I've been to one of the poorest countries in the world (like in the top 10 poorest), which is in Africa, and they had extensive EPL footage; PremierLeague TV channel, and covered literally every fucking game. They have bet365 in their awful poor shanty towns promoting EPL alongside gambling. Sport stores filled with official merc from EPL clubs, Barcelona/Madrid, PSG, and German clubs nowhere in sight. Their national TV channels frequently advertise EPL games and subsequently encourage viewers to subscribe to EPL packages (and also to partake in bet365). The only time the French/Spanish/German clubs get mentioned is during the UEFA champions league. And this is a country where 99% of its population doesn't speak a lick of fucking English, couldn't point England on a fucking map, but will sure as hell will tell you they're City/Utd/Arsenal/Liverpool etc fans.

Their marketing machine is just on another level.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
History matters too. Modern football was an English invention and the English league was the first to market overseas and with a huge head start, coupled with their success in the 20th century, they have built up a huge fanbase around the world. Superb marketing power and the fact that English is the global lingua franca definitely help.

If the goal of creating an ESL is to decimate the EPL then it is kind of pathetic.

Laplacian

Been hearing this PL talk being strong for the past several years , but somehow they are getting slapped majority of the time in European cups. Biggest reason why PL is looking "better" the past year or 2 is the decline of the top clubs in Spain ( Barcelona Real Madrid and Atletico). And it's only a matter of time before at least one them gets going again. The likes of Sevilla are doing more than fine for example. Having more spending power doesn't equate to having a better teams.

I definitely agree, spending power doesn't equate to quality. United is still shit, Arsenal is still shit, and so on. However, in the eyes of continental Europe, it is a problem when relegation fodder or recently promoted teams can go ahead and sign a top team's player for 30m+ like it's nothing. Or a world class talent/player playing in a team that regularly places top 3 and plays in the Champions league, leaving said club to play in a club doesn't hasn't reached top 4 since 2015/2016. That's fucking insane to me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees that as a problem.

Porque

Is the European Super League set to include EPL sides or will it be a coalition of the best of continental Europe to battle the EPL? Ie, those who are all in the EU using the Euro currency.

A league with the top sides of Portugal, Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Netherlands would be financially lucrative too.

Mitchell1978

EPL's ability to build its brand is commendable. Their production value (match presentation) is the best in Europe. The sound and visual quality of the matches makes La Liga and Serie A matches feel like they were played 15 years ago in comparison. The EPL channel just has abundance of match day and non-match programs that serve to "hype up" the matches and the EPL in general.

The PL behind close doors and with all the social justice bullshit isn't that appealing any more.

Home of Barca Fans