Josep Maria Bartomeu

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
"Rebuilding of club" happened because Ronaldinho signing which Rosell came through after Laporta lied and failed about signing Beckham. Everything and I mean everything changed with Ronaldinho. He was the catalyst on the pitch and brought us global.

JamDav1982

My two cents...

Laporta has to get credit for likes of Ronaldinho coming in and changing the club as he was the vocal, young figure head the club needed at that time and along with Rosell surrounded themselves with the right people. He may be the most important President in the clubs history for how much it changed under him at that time.

But he was not always the great figure that he gets held up to be. He tried to to use the club more for personal gain than likes of Bartomeu does. In terms of furthering his political ambitions outside the club and some very dodgy deals he tried to put through... foreign games he tried to set up and stood to gain personally from, putting his mistress on pay roll, more potentially dodgy deals with traffic than has been done before or since etc.

Bartomeu is the polar opposite in that he doesnt give such vocal support at times and has made financial mistakes such as in Neymar transfer but for me he is not trying in any way for personal gain - politically or financially from being at club.

Both have positives and negatives and I am against the often general feeling that Laporta is a god and Barto is a fraud.

Messi983

[MENTION=6099]JamDav1982[/MENTION]: good post

I think that number isn't accurate,you need much less to call elections IIRC
And Laporta wasn't really saved by anybody,I am not sure why Rosell takes all credit for R10 signing either.

According to wiki...

The poor results of the sports sections, especially in football, together with concerns about his leadership style, resulted in a censure motion which took place on 6 July 2008 and was led by Oriol Giralt. Exit polls showed that 60.60% of the 39,389 votes cast were against Laporta. Even though he lost the overall vote, however, the necessary 66% to hold new elections was not reached.

Agree with [MENTION=2]Bojan[/MENTION] about Ronaldinho. Rosell was his personal friend and that helped us to get him over RM or Man United. If you've watched Barça Confidencial documentary even Laporta himself credited Rosell to bring Ronaldinho. Of course, if you'd ask him about that now he probably wouldn't admit.

Another thing that I give full credit to Laporta was sticking with Rijkaard in his first season. But he should probably sack him a season before he did. I don't hold that too much against him though because it would be really hard to get rid of Rijkaard after we've lost the league title based only on head to head with RM but there were already some worrying signs in 2006/07 season that prognosed what then happened next season. Then again, if Rijkaard would've been sacked in 2007 we don't know if or better said when Pep would become our first team coach (I doubt that he'd be choosen in 2007 already) so that could've changed our recent history dramatically.

Looking back at that Laporta board with Rosell, Ingla, Ferran Soriano,... it was full of young, energetic people with knowledge on all fronts (sporting department, economy, marketing,...). It's really a shame that everything fall apart so soon because of personal disputes and power battle between them. Who knows what could've happen if they'd stay together and keep working for the good of the club like they started in 2003.

jamrock

Laporta is looked at as a "angel" because he is the person that lead Barca back to greatness and his effects on the club can be seen until this very day.

Rijkaard
Pep
Tito
Luis

All Laporta

he got a few things wrong at first, but once senses that by the end, he had a real understanding of Barcelona and it's place it football.

These guys only care about cash,and not even in that regard they are as good, he increased the clubs revenues 3 folds during is time at the club, yea he also added debt, but that is apart of football.

He is simply the greatest president we have ever had.

JamDav1982

Laporta is looked at as a "angel" because he is the person that lead Barca back to greatness and his effects on the club can be seen until this very day.

Rijkaard
Pep
Tito
Luis

All Laporta

he got a few things wrong at first, but once senses that by the end, he had a real understanding of Barcelona and it's place it football.

These guys only care about cash,and not even in that regard they are as good, he increased the clubs revenues 3 folds during is time at the club, yea he also added debt, but that is apart of football.

He is simply the greatest president we have ever had.

Laporta was figure head of young team with new ideas that came in and changed the club. He was the charismatic spokesperson as much as anything but many people helped turn club around.

Many things came together at that time including a once in lifetime generation of la masia players at club heading towards peak.

I think Laporta lost the plot a bit and started to abuse his power but was saved by Pep who helped turn the club around again in so many ways. Laporta gets credit for him being appointed though but he struck lucky big time Pep changed his legacy and club from top to bottom.

Raketa10

Will this idiot at least close on Messi's renewal before summer?!?! I hope we extend his contract before he goes on vacation...

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Court in Barcelona ruled that books were rigged in 2010. Don't know if they hold this board accountable but it can't be good.
These things go on and on. Messi, Neymar cases, Rosell. What's next?

Windhook

Barto winning over Laporta in 2015 elections was the last highlight of this board. Ever since that they are sinking without a trace. Yes, we won the treble, but it had nothing to do with Barto and the rest of the board, who were caught up in the shitstorm after Rosell.

Last edited:

Messi983

Court in Barcelona ruled that books were rigged in 2010. Don't know if they hold this board accountable but it can't be good.
These things go on and on. Messi, Neymar cases, Rosell. What's next?

Not sure about that but weren't 2010 books (so for 2009-10 season) still Laporta's board responsibility?

Chong Li

Not sure about that but weren't 2010 books (so for 2009-10 season) still Laporta's board responsibility?

After taking over, the new crew cooked the books to make Laporta look bad and ruin his legacy, they even sued him... and (of course) lost.

Eff these people!

Home of Barca Fans