Miralem Pjanic

Birdy

He played well yesterday.
His ball retention and resilience to pressing is not even close to Arthur's.

But he runs a lot and defends. Big plus.
I would play him over Busi any day in the double pivot

JamDav1982

He played well yesterday.
His ball retention and resilience to pressing is not even close to Arthur's.

But he runs a lot and defends. Big plus.
I would play him over Busi any day in the double pivot

Depends what you mean by ball retention... Arthur takes multiple touches and makes simple pass to slow game down and not get anywhere most of the time. Pjanic moves it much quicker and is more positive with it and has better range of passing.

Birdy

Depends what you mean by ball retention... Arthur takes multiple touches and makes simple pass to slow game down and not get anywhere most of the time. Pjanic moves it much quicker and is more positive with it and has better range of passing.

Maintaining possession of the ball when under pressure.
Pjanic sees to have more vision in regards to the final pass, i can agree with that.

But there is always a flip side to that: the off the ball movement that front players make in order to create the conditions for that kind of pass.
Until recently almost none was making that kind of move.

JamDav1982

Maintaining possession of the ball when under pressure.
Pjanic sees to have more vision in regards to the final pass, i can agree with that.

But there is always a flip side to that: the off the ball movement that front players make in order to create the conditions for that kind of pass.
Until recently almost none was making that kind of move.

Arthurs limitation are why he doesnt pass it forward more. Same for Barca, Brazil and Juve now.

About the only thing Arthur was class at was escaping when pressed and that flattered to deceive a lot when first arrived but even then he rarely used it as any great advantage.

There were comparisons to Xavi early doors but Xavi would evade press and use it to his advantage to hit the opposing team where it hurt as out of position. Would actively look to do it whereas Arthur just reacts to the press, does well to get away then doesnt have the vision or range to make teams pay the way Xavi would and passes it simple.

The off the ball movement of front players doesnt help but Arthur is clearly limited and looks same for Barca, Brazil and now Juve.

JohnN

That was a better display than Rakitic could have provided, so it's ok we have pjanic instead of him.
About Artur, he looked promising but had no progress, so good that he left too.

JamDav1982

Pjanic should be starter for as long as his connection with Messi is there.

There is no one else in midfield now or in past few years that moves the ball that quickly forward when it is on and then Messi/Pedri play off one another in the tighter spaces.

Will be hairy defensively when teams break but there is a bit more pace back there with Aruajo and would imagine v better teams FDJ would sit more than did v Vallodolid.

What is the alternative playing more runners? Sitting back again like did v Juve in first half hour or Bayern the whole game? The defence is not good enough for that and Barca dont have pace to break from playing like that.

Against PSG would prefer...play the best footballers, high line and press. Will be open game and leaving exposed to Neymar and Mbappe but got to be done.

Messigician

Why are ppl simping for Pjanic when he did well vs bums?

Need I remind you his performance vs Juventus?

He isn't the solution just Busquets V2

mc_lovin

All it took was one game vs Valladolid :lol: Its already completely forgotten how soft he looked vs Valencia, where people literally ran through him. Not just past him ala Busquets.

I for one couldnt care less who starts between those two.

JamDav1982

All it took was one game vs Valladolid :lol: Its already completely forgotten how soft he looked vs Valencia, where people literally ran through him. Not just past him ala Busquets.

I for one couldnt care less who starts between those two.

'All it takes is one game'.... then quote 4 mins v Valencia.

Nice.

JamDav1982

Why are ppl simping for Pjanic when he did well vs bums?

Need I remind you his performance vs Juventus?

He isn't the solution just Busquets V2

Is that away to Juventus where he was one of best players on park?

Home game v Juve the Barca midfield controlled the game more or less after they moved away from that same 442 that failed against Bayern.

Messigician

Is that away to Juventus where he was one of best players on park?

Home game v Juve the Barca midfield controlled the game more or less after they moved away from that same 442 that failed against Bayern.

Home game we were destroyed first half and Pjanic was horrible

JamDav1982

Home game we were destroyed first half and Pjanic was horrible

I agree Barca were awful in the first 30 odd mins when the tactics seemed to be more or less 442 and to sit deep and not dominate the ball.

Pointless playing the likes of Pjanic if want to try that.

Just about every Barca player was horrible in that first part of game.

Juventus away Pjanic dictated game and linked well with Messi.

Home of Barca Fans