Other Centre-Back Options

Adrian

As you all know, Barca are keen on signing David Luiz. However, three other centre-backs are being considered as alternatives.

1. Thomas Vermaelen

He is 28 years old and captain, so Vermaelen is experienced. Unfortunately he said he doesn't want to leave Arsenal a few days ago. 6'0" tall and he is a great jumper, so could help our set-piece problems. I think he is faster than our centre-backs as well.

2. Eliaquim Mangala

Only 22 and many clubs are interested in his signature. It looks like he'll be leaving at the end of the season and has a release clause of €50 million but I'm pretty sure we could get him for less. Fast defender that is 6'2" and jumps high as well. He runs alot and is amazing his head.

3. Íñigo Martinez

23 years old and was a player Guardiola liked. My estimate is he will cost something like €30 million. He is fast like the other centre-backs we are going after and he is familiar with the La Liga. Martinez is only 5'11" but in my opinion his jumping makes up for it.

So do you guys like the idea of signing one of these players? If so, which one?

Trickykid

As you all know, Barca are keen on signing David Luiz. However, three other centre-backs are being considered as alternatives.

According to whom?

Anyhoo, I don't really want any of them. Vermaelen is obviously terribly injury prone, and frankly hasn't been that good for a while. The two others, while talented, would be way, way too expensive.

Adrian

According to whom?

Many, many sources. We know it's true.

Anyhoo, I don't really want any of them. Vermaelen is obviously terribly injury prone, and frankly hasn't been that good for a while. The two others, while talented, would be way, way too expensive.

I think it would be useful if we got another centre-back however. Mascherano gets dominated in the air and Puyol is old. This leaves us just with Pique and Bartra. I don't think they can play every game.

Trickykid

Many, many sources. We know it's true.
Sure, they're some of the names that have been popular in the tabloids, but so have loads of other names. We have no idea who our true targets are.

I think it would be useful if we got another centre-back however. Mascherano gets dominated in the air and Puyol is old. This leaves us just with Pique and Bartra. I don't think they can play every game.

I can agree with most of that, but going into a full blown bidding war with the european elite AND Pinto da Costa for someone like Mangala? That just doesn't seem realistic to me. Iñigo has never impressed me much, certainly not enough to warrant paying his buy-out clause. And yeah, Vermaelen... No thanks.

Again, claiming that these three are our only valid targets is silly. Who then? Beats me, but hopefully the management is busy preparing for the summer as we speak.

Adrian

Sure, they're some of the names that have been popular in the tabloids, but so have loads of other names. We have no idea who our true targets are.

I agree.

I can agree with most of that, but going into a full blown bidding war with the european elite AND Pinto da Costa for someone like Mangala? That just doesn't seem realistic to me. Iñigo has never impressed me much, certainly not enough to warrant paying his buy-out clause. And yeah, Vermaelen... No thanks.

Honestly, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I think just buying one of these players for a reasonable price could help us a lot. Especially against teams who love crossing it to their big, strong centre forward.

Again, claiming that these three are our only valid targets is silly. Who then? Beats me, but hopefully the management is busy preparing for the summer as we speak.

I never claimed they are our only valid targets. I was just asking for people's opinion on the players, and if they think any of the defenders could fit into the squad well.

Trickykid

Honestly, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I think just buying one of these players for a reasonable price could help us a lot. Especially against teams who love crossing it to their big, strong centre forward.

It's exactly the part about the reasonable price that I can't see happening.
I honestly haven't seen enough of him to judge Mangala fairly, but I know Porto will bleed anyone who comes close completely dry. Do you think he's worth the fortune we'd have to pay?
Also, do you see Vermaelen as a huge upgrade to what we already have, though?

I never claimed they are our only valid targets. I was just asking for people's opinion on the players, and if they think any of the defenders could fit into the squad well.
Ah, my bad.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
If we're gonna go full sheikh style and throw 35m at Porto for Mangala which I guess is what Porto will demand, then I guess it would be better to go for Laporte. If we go that way ofc, which I doubt we will.

Adrian

It's exactly the part about the reasonable price that I can't see happening.
I honestly haven't seen enough of him to judge Mangala fairly, but I know Porto will bleed anyone who comes close completely dry. Do you think he's worth the fortune we'd have to pay?
Also, do you see Vermaelen as a huge upgrade to what we already have, though?

That's a good point. I have to say that if Barca were to pay a lot of cash for a player, I'd rather it be a player like Hummels. However, Mangala possesses those traits that we need in defence. Height, strength and pace. If you don't believe that we need another centre-back, then we must be watching two different Barcelonas. Anyway, we have the money so we might as well spend it.

If we're gonna go full sheikh style and throw 35m at Porto for Mangala which I guess is what Porto will demand, then I guess it would be better to go for Laporte. If we go that way ofc, which I doubt we will.

Yeah I think Laporte would be a fantastic signing.

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
If we want a relatively cheap backup for depth until Bartra takes over, I'd suggest Jeison Murillo from Granada. He's 21 years old, good height and physicality, and has been having an impressive season for Granada (from what I've heard/seen). He could become a really good player in the future as well perhaps but as a cheap and decent quality CB for short term he'd function well.

Trickykid

If you don't believe that we need another centre-back, then we must be watching two different Barcelonas. Anyway, we have the money so we might as well spend it.

No, I do think we need a new defender this summer, but the right one at the right price.

BarçAjax8

If it were possible I would want 1)Mangala 2)Martinez but they're buyout clauses are pretty high being 30-50 million.

With what we would pay for one of those players we could get Balanta (5'11) of River Plate & Bruno Martins-Indi (6'2) of Feyenoord both. Both are 20 & 21 y/o, left footed, tenacious defenders with enormous potential ahead of them. Both can also play LB and Bruno especially reminds me a lot of Abidal in stature and playing style.

Galning

Bartra is better than Iñigo. Vermaelen is benched by freaking Mertesacker and has finally proven that my statement from years ago about him being seriously overrated is true. And knowing Porto they'll get 40M for Mangala. An amount we won't pay.

Antimadridista1

I don't think we'll buy a centre back unless Puyol retires at the end of the season. None of the three you talked about will come to Barcelona.
David Luiz is a possibility but not now.

Home of Barca Fans