Other Centre-Back Options

Adrian

Bartra is better than Iñigo. Vermaelen is benched by freaking Mertesacker and has finally proven that my statement from years ago about him being seriously overrated is true. And knowing Porto they'll get 40M for Mangala. An amount we won't pay.

I actually agree with what you say. I'm happy with Pique and Bartra, but I do think we need a third CB that's tall and quick. However, you talk about Mertesacker as if it is easy to bench him. Mertesacker and Koscielny have been the best in the BPL this season, and when Vermaelen comes on he is class as well. Personally, I'd like to sign one more centre-back. I'm not saying it should be one of these guys though.

I don't think we'll buy a centre back unless Puyol retires at the end of the season. None of the three you talked about will come to Barcelona.
David Luiz is a possibility but not now.

We've been looking at centre-backs ever since Marquez went. Puyol is 36 now, so I don't think he will be here for much longer. Why wouldn't Mangala or Martinez come to Barcelona? Would you like Luiz to be signed in the summer transfer window? I certainly would.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
If it were possible I would want 1)Mangala 2)Martinez but they're buyout clauses are pretty high being 30-50 million.

With what we would pay for one of those players we could get Balanta (5'11) of River Plate & Bruno Martins-Indi (6'2) of Feyenoord both. Both are 20 & 21 y/o, left footed, tenacious defenders with enormous potential ahead of them. Both can also play LB and Bruno especially reminds me a lot of Abidal in stature and playing style.

Martins Indi has potential, but really is nowhere near the level we aspire, even for new signings that need adjustment. He's better off at Feyenoord, going to a midtable PL, BL, PD, SA team and then improving himself. Tbh, I don't really see him becoming a world beater, but I can definitely see him at a good club at age 27 or so.

H

Haruko The Goon

1.Vidic for free
2.Promote Bartra
Use both throughout the season to partner Pique
All three will have cover from Mascherano if injured/unavailable.

If you wanted Vermaelen, you can have him. He's a sub for us due to him being a major liability in the last 12 months.

When he's on form, he's immense and hard as nails. Technically inferior to Kosh and Mert, so that's why he's benched.

£10m should get him.

Antimadridista1

We've been looking at centre-backs ever since Marquez went. Puyol is 36 now, so I don't think he will be here for much longer. Why wouldn't Mangala or Martinez come to Barcelona? Would you like Luiz to be signed in the summer transfer window? I certainly would.

Mangala is really over-rated. Sakho and Adil Rami are above him in Deschamp's hierarchy . Not even talking about Koscielny, Varane and Abidal.
Concerning Martinez, he costs too much money. We could buy Marquinhos who's better than him for the same amount of money and we didn't.

Concerning Luiz, yes I would like to see him in our team but it won't happen unless Rosell is ready to give btw 50 and 60m euro to Chelsea.
To me, Thiago Silva, Kompany, Koscielny and Hummels are the bests CB in the world. If we can get the french man , it would me amazing.

Last edited:

Adrian

As far as I know every player( in La Liga )with the number within [1,25] is a first team player.
Players with higher numbers are reserve side's players.
Right?

Yes, but there are exceptions. For example Oier is number 25

BarçAjax8

As far as I know every player( in La Liga )with the number within [1,25] is a first team player.
Players with higher numbers are reserve side's players.
Right?

Numbers 1 & 13 are for GKs and if the team has 3 GKs then #25 as well

khaled_a_d

According to whom?

Anyhoo, I don't really want any of them. Vermaelen is obviously terribly injury prone, and frankly hasn't been that good for a while. The two others, while talented, would be way, way too expensive.

During Rosell/Zubi era,we made big signings in both attack(Neymar/Alexis) & midfield(Cesc&Mascherano who was signed as midfield player not for CB ,b4 Pep moving him to defense) ,even Song was expensive for a back up DM
Even GK position we are rumored to be signing MATS for 10-12M ,that would make him one of the top 10 most expensive 10 GKs in the history (top 5 if it is`12M)
I don't get why there is so much hesitation when it comes to signing a quality but expensive CB considering that their prices right now is actually increasing
Obviously if we get the next Varane it will better (a young unknown cheap CB) but if won't mind if we put most of our budget for a CB

One more thing ,considering our system we need a CB who is quick ,tall ,strong ,relatively young who is obviously good in defending,aerial challenges ,a leader and not a mistake prone ,It will be almost impossible to get someone who fulfill all of that ,we will need to compromise and make some adjustments with in the team

Trickykid

During Rosell/Zubi era,we made big signings in both attack(Neymar/Alexis) & midfield(Cesc&Mascherano who was signed as midfield player not for CB ,b4 Pep moving him to defense) ,even Song was expensive for a back up DM
Even GK position we are rumored to be signing MATS for 10-12M ,that would make him one of the top 10 most expensive 10 GKs in the history (top 5 if it is`12M)
I don't get why there is so much hesitation when it comes to signing a quality but expensive CB considering that their prices right now is actually increasing
Obviously if we get the next Varane it will better (a young unknown cheap CB) but if won't mind if we put most of our budget for a CB

One more thing ,considering our system we need a CB who is quick ,tall ,strong ,relatively young who is obviously good in defending,aerial challenges ,a leader and not a mistake prone ,It will be almost impossible to get someone who fulfill all of that ,we will need to compromise and make some adjustments with in the team

I'm not opposed to signing expensive, as long as it's proven quality. Do you really think someone like Iñigo is worth 30 million euros? As I've mentioned quite a few times, I haven't seen enough of Mangala to judge him fairly, but there's no doubt he'd be ridiculously expensive coming from Porto. Considering he's relatively unproven, that transfer just doesn't make sense to me at all.

Oh, and about Ter Stegen. I don't really care about the history of goalkeeper transfer fees and if we manage to snap him up for 10-12 mio euros, then it would be an absolute bargain, no matter what history dictates.

frog-fcb

what about balanta from river plate i think he plays for and with him coming in from south america the price wouldnt be as inflated as some of the european options

Adrian

Actually, quite a few promising CB's fulfill that criteria. Mangala is a good example, and we can get someone even cheaper.

Home of Barca Fans