Ivan Rakitić

Nazario1985

Even Arthur acknowledged last season his forward thinking weakness. and pretty much ever game journalist said same thing + Rivaldo.

Again they both should be used to different end, only stupid minds will want to cast one of them away without having a good sub for it !!

BBZ8800

We are just going in circles if you havent noticed. You say Arthur+Frenkie cant work and use a ridiculously small sample size to make that claim. Again: we havent seen Arthur+Frenkie with the rest of the team in decent form. For example the Dortmund away game: you say we sucked, which is true, but our midifeld was still by far the best part about that game.

My point is: just be open minded. Rakitic, Arthur, De Jong and Busquets should be our 4 main midfielders this season. Busquets and Rakitic together will probably kill us sooner or later in CL, so make sure Arthur is well integrated (if hes professional). Thats all. And pretty reasonable on my part.

I don't have anything against your idea.
Especially since Rakitic is 31 and he can play good ONLY when he is rested.
He is playing well now because he is also motivated 120% and he is finally well rested. (Remember that last season he played 60-ish matches for Barca in 2017/18, then he had to play World cup with extra times and a WC final in a summer of 2018 and then he again played 60+ matches for Barca and NT team. That was like 130 matches in a row Sunday-Wednesday without any rest, isn't it? I am still surprised how he hasn't died on a field last season, seriously.)
Lately, when he is rested, of course that he has good defensive numbers and that he can make some attacking moves.
If he will play all the time, he will soon turn into a slow walking zombie.

The same with Busi.

So, I would personally use all 5 midfielders.
But still, in upcoming matches, especially away from Camp Nou, pay attention at our midfield shape and balance if Frenkie-Arthur will play together, pay attention to holes behind Arthur's back and how Arthur is playing in defense (apart from pressing where he is actually good).
If our team will start to click better and better with those 2 together, then fine.
But if a team will be balanced with Raki-Busi-Frenkie and all over the place with Frenkie-Arthur again, it can't be a concidence.
The same "all over the place" problem was happening with Iniesta-Rafinha and Iniesta-Coutinho combos. Because they were too similar and occupied similar areas of the field and they were leaving huge gaps on other areas of a field.
Iniesta always clicked better with Rakitic or even with Paulinho/Gomes than with Rafinha/Cou/Denis, even though these 3 were technically way better players and more "Barca DNA".

Last edited:

CatalinR10

Sorry, haven't see this.
Thanks, you amde me laugh about Arthur and attack :lol:

I haven't see more sterile player than Arthur in Barca's midfield in the last 20 years.
In his whole career he scored 4 goals and made 7 assists.
At the start of this season, it is quite predictable what happened in a psychological point of view: he was benched last season and fell to a 5th pick under EV and got mad.
He said in the interviews during Copa America some remarks about being benched.
And when he returned from Copa, he was 120% motivated to prove to EV that he was wrong.
And then, he was flying all over the field in the first few matches, when he scored 2 goals and 2 assists.
And then media and fans started to glorify him and he disappeared again, just in his last season.

You should ask yourself a few questions:
1. if a player is never scoring in his whole career and then has 1 short, good period.
Which is more likely?
That he improved permanently of that was just a short period where he was either lucky, in form or motivated as hell?

Look at this, after Sevilla (2 months ago) since when Arthur's form went MIA again:
Arthur 474 minutes: 0 goals, 1 assist, 2 key passes, 1 shot
Rakitic 343 minutes: 0 goals, 2 assists, 2 key passes, 7 shots
Defense:
Arthur 474 minutes: 4 tackles, 3 interceptions, 1 clearances, 0 blocks=8 in total
Rakitic 343 minutes: 4 tackles, 7 interception, 4 clearances, 4 blocks=19 in total

In attack, Rakitic is again better in this period (in less minutes played).
He has 2 assists vs 1 from Arthur.
And Lamparditic tried a shot 7 times in the last 343 minutes, which is roughly 2 shooting attempts till now.
He hasn't scored till now, but he will soon.
Arthur's attacking game has disappeared in the last 2 Months.
Do you know why?
Because he is not 120% motivated anymore.
And because his stamina is gone again.
And when his stamina is gone, he don't have the energy to run up and down as in the early matches, so both his attacking and defensive game suffers.
So, Lamparditic is slowly again more dangerous player in terms of shooting, passing and everything in the attacking 3rd.
Do you know why?
Because Lamparditic was actually a CAM-CF in his early 20s and playing around the box, running into the box and shooting is natural for him.
Arthur on the other hand is possession orientated player in his DNA and when he has to play in attack, it seems unnatural and forced, even though he will score goals here and there.

So, Arthur's attacking advantage is gone.
And defense, do I even need to talk about these numbers?
Look at them: 19 vs 8 balls won in 340 minutes versus 470 minutes.

On larger samples, even a 31 years old Rakitic will again probably end a season: with more assists, more goals and far better defensive stats than Arthur.
Just wait and give them an equal amount of minutes.

Arthur is a goat at press resistance and in recycling possession.
But don't invent his skills in other areas where they don't exist.
A hint: attacking play and defending.

LMAO again you making stats based on certain periods of time just to suit your agenda.

Arthur's form went down based on what ? That he didn't assist or score every game here and there like he did in the begining ? lol

Nice assists on Rakitic though , 2 jaw dropping couple of meters passes to Messi outside the box for him to score some golazos.

Only thing to laugh about Arthur and attack is that he has more assists so far than Rakitic and has 2 goals in La Liga , 1 less than Rakitic had all last season in La Liga. You know Rakitic , the offensive powerhorse you make him out to be.

Valverde: "Arthur? He's having some issues since the last time he played for Brazil, we hope he recovers quickly so he will be able to help us."

Valverde: "Little by little Arthur's discomfort in the pubis got worse. We spoke to him the other day, he preferred to have a rest to see if it improves. Last season it was a problem he dragged throughout the season. This season he had it under control much better."

Wait till he's fine and Rakitic is going to go back to the bench where he belongs or hopefully be sold for someone better , because no one would trade a possession oriented player who is a god at not losing the ball for a midfielder who scores 2-4 goals a season but gets run over or gets dribbled like he isn't even on the field by any decent team.

The lineup should be Frenkie - Arthur and a new guy whose job would be to assist a lot and score some goals here and there , someone to take on players an give a killer pass , a much better guy than Rakitic and Busquets and that won't be so hard to find.

I don't even know why you started a while ago the disscussion , or hate attack on Arthur that he's not doing enough in the attack ? Like why would he even do more in the attack since it's not his job and doesn't have to ? It's like saying Fabregas would have been a better fit than Iniesta because he had better attacking stats ,while Fabregas wasn't even worthy of tying Iniesta's shoes. Thinking of this you probably think that Fabregas was a better player than Iniesta because his offensive stats , or deffensive , or whatever , i'm sure you would find something to fit your agenda in that subject aswell , lol.

Even if Rakitic ends the season with more goals and assists ? then what ? he'll still be the shit player he is ( for Barcelona starting material ) and still won't be the player Barcelona needs , compared to Arthur.

mc_lovin

So, I would personally use all 5 midfielders.
But still, in upcoming matches, especially away from Camp Nou, pay attention at our midfield shape and balance if Frenkie-Arthur will play together, pay attention to holes behind Arthur's back and how Arthur is playing in defense (apart from pressing where he is actually good).
If our team will start to click better and better with those 2 together, then fine.
But if a team will be balanced with Raki-Busi-Frenkie and all over the place with Frenkie-Arthur again, it can't be a concidence.
The same "all over the place" problem was happening with Iniesta-Rafinha and Iniesta-Coutinho combos. Because they were too similar and occupied similar areas of the field and they were leaving huge gaps on other areas of a field.
Iniesta always clicked better with Rakitic or even with Paulinho/Gomes than with Rafinha/Cou/Denis, even though these 3 were technically way better players and more "Barca DNA".

Thats a hyperbole again, equaling Arthur-Frenkie to Iniesta-Rafinha/Coutinho is just downright wrong. Frenkie is easily our best defending CM (when used there) and Arthur is grittier than any of Iniesta, Rafinha, Denis or Coutinho ever were. The apparent weakness of Frenkie-Arthur has not been classic defending but positioning. Thats the one major advantage Rakitic has over Arthur right now and should be the most solvable (through coaching and experience).

Regarding the coaching part: The major difference between Arthur and Rakitic were the positions they played, which make the stat for stat comparison childs play. I would even argue that Arthur has been grossly misused by Valverde this season. Both are classic CMs, but only one of them had the benefit of playing like one. Arthur was instructed to play far too offensive this season, which is why his positional play looked miles better last season (or at Gremio).

You might argue now that we in fact need an offensive midfielder (like fucking Olmo or Ruiz), but then again we are playing decent enough right now with 2 CMs. Another example is Real Madrid who deployed two true CMs in Modric and Kroos (and were winning CLs left and right), I would even argue Frenkie and Arthur come damn close in profile to them. So that shouldnt be a problem.

Oh, wait, Kroos and Modric are much more productive than sterile Arthur and Frenkie. Are they? What makes them special is exactly what makes Arthur and Frenkie special: They all are great at solving difficult situations in midfield (much more than getting key passes and assists and stuff).

Last edited:

BBZ8800

LMAO again you making stats based on certain periods of time just to suit your agenda.
Only thing to laugh about Arthur and attack is that he has more assists so far than Rakitic and has 2 goals in La Liga , 1 less than Rakitic had all last season in La Liga. You know Rakitic , the offensive powerhorse you make him out to be.

Btw, Raki's goal for Barca during his career:
2014/15: 7 goals+8 assists
2015/16: 9 goals+4 assists
2016/17: 8 goals+5 assists
2017/18: 2 goals+5 assists
2018/19: 4 goals+7 assists
= 30 goals+29 assists in his first 5 seasons here.

Arthur whole career, Gremio, Barca, NT Brasil combined: 4 goals+7 assists.

Enjoy Lamparditic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=solpJ5TPd6k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKBNEKczUbc

The lineup should be Frenkie - Arthur and a new guy whose job would be to assist a lot and score some goals here and there , someone to take on players an give a killer pass , a much better guy than Rakitic and Busquets and that won't be so hard to find.

Sorry, I just can't continue this conversation if you think that a 3rd guy who will be attacking oriented will solve the problem.
He could help in the attack, surely.
But again, sadly, in real life football is played in 2 ways: attack and defending.
Sadly on our forum, people watch, play and analyze football only in one way=in attacking oriented way.

If you are looking at football in that one-way, I can totally understand your point of view and why you rate Arthur way more than Rakitic and why you think that Rakitic is shit for Barcelona.

soul24rage

My intention is not to attack BBZ or Rakitic. But I want to say that stats could be misleading and that context is important.

For example, 2 of Rakitic's assists last season is more due to Messi's brilliance rather than Rakitic being creative.

[youtube]WJmkq9f8hd0[/youtube]

[youtube]0DpYpjKDRBg[/youtube]

Or even crediting Busi for the assist for this

[youtube]UscczWoT7yY[/youtube]

Dani Alves's 'assist'

[youtube]YBaXSEkzAEE[/youtube]

CatalinR10

Btw, Raki's goal for Barca during his career:
2014/15: 7 goals+8 assists
2015/16: 9 goals+4 assists
2016/17: 8 goals+5 assists
2017/18: 2 goals+5 assists
2018/19: 4 goals+7 assists
= 30 goals+29 assists in his first 5 seasons here.

Arthur whole career, Gremio, Barca, NT Brasil combined: 4 goals+7 assists.

Enjoy Lamparditic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=solpJ5TPd6k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKBNEKczUbc

Sorry, I just can't continue this conversation if you think that a 3rd guy who will be attacking oriented will solve the problem.
But again, sadly, in real life football is played in 2 ways: attack and defending.
Sadly on our forum, people watch, play and analyze football only in one way=in attacking oriented way.

If you are looking at football in that one-way, I can totally understand your point of view and why you rate Arthur way more than Rakitic and why you think that Rakitic is shit for Barcelona.

We were talking about you shitting on Arthur's offense compared to Rakitic from the moment Arthur came to Barca , while he turned out to have more offensive output than Rakitic this season and you start now to put numbers about Rakitic even as far as 2014 lmao. Rakitic should have been sold 2 years ago. His contribution has been useless in the past years as we would have won La Liga anyways without him due to Messi's brilliance while we lost the CL due to him being a shit player next to other shit players and Valverde.

You lost the argument dude , get over it.

And yeah , a 3rd attacking oriented guy with Frenkie and Arthur in midfield will solve most of the problems we have today. If you still think that we should continue with Rakitic-Busquets , a bunch of +31 old aged washed up midfielders then just LMAO. But then again it was proven that you're wrong in 90% of whatever you say , so I guess that's still your thinking.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

This makes no sense. Both DeJong and Arthur are rather defensively orientated so getting a proper AM to help creativity is like 101 thing to do.

BBZ8800

You might argue now that we in fact need an offensive midfielder (like fucking Olmo or Ruiz), but then again we are playing decent enough right now with 2 CMs. Another example is Real Madrid who deployed two true CMs in Modric and Kroos (and were winning CLs left and right), I would even argue Frenkie and Arthur come damn close in profile to them. So that shouldnt be a problem.

Oh, wait, Kroos and Modric are much more productive than sterile Arthur and Frenkie. Are they? What makes them special is exactly what makes Arthur and Frenkie special: They all are great at solving difficult situations in midfield (much more than getting key passes and assists and stuff).

You are overrating our players again.
You take one trait (solving problems) and you expand them to all other skills.

Again: Arthur is awesome in recycling possession and being press resistance.
He is quite shit in defending and in everything regarding creative play in the attacking third.

Now, look why:
Defensive contributions per match:
4,2 Modric 2013/14
4,1 Kroos 2016/17
4,0 Kroos 2014/15
3,7 Kroos 2015/16
3,7 Modric 2016/17
3,3 Modric 2014/15
3,0 Kroos 2017/18
3,0 Modric 2017/18
1,5 Arthur 2019/20
1,2 Arthur 2018/19

Key passes per match:
2,8 Kroos 2016/17
2,4 Kroos 2017/18
2,0 Kross 2014/15
1,9 Modric 2015/16
1,8 Kroos 2015/16
1,5 Modric 2017/18
1,5 Modric 2013/14
1,3 Modric 2016/17
1,2 Modric 2014/15
1,0 Arthur 2019/20
0,5 Arthur 2018/19

So, basically:
Kroos has around 3,5-4,0 defensive contribution per match in Real's years.
Modric is between 3,0 and 4,0 per match.
Our Arthur is at 1,5 currently.

In attack:
Kroos is at around 2,3 key passes per match in Real's years.
Modric is at around 1,5 key passes per match.
Arthur is at around 0,8.

So, basically, you are saying that Arthur could be as Modric-Kroos duo, even though he is equal as them ONLY in ONE AREA: press resistance and keeping possession.
While he is almost twice as worse in defensive and creative part.

I hope that you understand now why I think that you guys are insanely overrating Arthur's skills.
You are translating his one good skill into all other skills.

About learning and improving in the future: he already has bad professionalism, parties a lot, he could lose some weight, stamina problems, Std problems.
I am not too sure who safe is a bet that he will improve as expected in all of these areas from above with a current attitude and professionalism.

BBZ8800

My intention is not to attack BBZ or Rakitic. But I want to say that stats could be misleading and that context is important.

For example, 2 of Rakitic's assists last season is more due to Messi's brilliance rather than Rakitic being creative.

[youtube]WJmkq9f8hd0[/youtube]

[youtube]0DpYpjKDRBg[/youtube]

Or even crediting Busi for the assist for this

[youtube]UscczWoT7yY[/youtube]

Dani Alves's 'assist'

[youtube]YBaXSEkzAEE[/youtube]

Probably 50% of assists in our team are: pass the ball to Messi and he will create magic.
While the assistant hasn't done absolutely nothing spectacular except playing a simple pass or even a backpass.

When you dig deeper, you will see that the same happens with all of our players.
For example, Arthur was hailed as a creative and an attacking beast this season and how he has improved a lot, yet out of his 4 assists this season, 2 of them have absolutely nothing with assisting.
Look at this:
Assist for Luis Suarez vs Valencia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnKYlolrlAM

And an intercepted pass which luckily ended on Dembele's feet who made a fantastic solo action after that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiNbHOPmApE

But further, what I have been talking for a long time: each player has his unique set of natural skills.
Each player can improve in all skills.
But if you are born with attacking skills 90 and defensive skills 10, you will never be a good defender.
The same, if you are born with defensive skills 90 and attacking talent 10, you will never be a creative midfielder.

And now, (imo) this is not just my bias, but in terms of attacking, I have never seen a Barca's midfielder as sterile in that apartment as Arthur is.
A guy is born with possession skills (keeping a ball and press resistance) 99%, while his natural creative game is like 20% and defending is at 50%-ish.
On the other hand, Rakitic's is more like an allrounder.
Not spectacular in technique and possession, but very good.
In attack, he started career at Basel and Schalke as a FC and CAM. So, he played for years on attacking and creative positions and he has nice skills in that area.
About defending, even as a CAM, he was always a workhorse CAM who even on attacking positions had very good defensive numbers.

For example:
When Rakitic was of Arthur's current age, he had at Schalke in Bundesliga:
2,3 tackles per match+1,4 interceptions+0,6 clearances+0,1 blocks=4,4 defensive contributions per match aged 23
Last season at Barca, Rakitic had similar numbers:
0,9 tackles+1,5 interceptions+0,8 clearances+0,2 blocks=3,4 defensive contributions.

For a comparison, Arthur in his first season at Barca:
1,2 defensive contributions per match.
This season 2019/2020: 1,5 defensive contributions per match

So, if you want to check on this case:
Rakitic had NATURAL skills in defending, tackling, positioning, intercepting, heading even in early age.
So, it is not as if he came from 1,0 defensive contributions per match to 3,5 out of nowhere.
He was always at the same level.
Arthur, on the other hand has 1,5 contributions per match.
If you want him to reach Rakitic's level of positioning and defending, he will need to more than double his current defensive numbers.

Let's move to the other area of field: attacking.
As said above, Rakitic played as a CAM-FC, so he also possesses attacking skills and knowledge.
Of course, he is not a new Iniesta or Zidane, but he has a decent attacking and playmaking skills.
For example, at Sevilla, he had 2,9 key passes per match in La Liga in 2012/13 and 2,3 key passes pr match in 2013/14.
At Euro 2016, Rakitic had 3,3 key passes per match.
At World Cup 2018, he had 1,4 key passes per match.
World cup 2014: 1,3 key passes per match.
So, at Sevilla, he had 2,3 or 2,9 key passes per match, and on NT World cups and Euros, he also had nice numbers with around 1,3-1,5 key passes per match.

Now, check at Arthur:
Barca 2018/19: 0,5 key passes per match
This season: 1,0 key pass per match.
NT Copa America: 0,8 key passes per match

Now, if you check Rakitic's and Arthur's natural skills BEFORE Barca:
Rakitic roughly had a double amount of defensive contributions and almost a double amount of key passes, goals and assists.

And now, even though every player can improve at his own pace in a lot of areas, but the thing is: Rakitic's starting skills in attack and defense were way better than Arthur's.
On the other hand, Arthur's possession skills and press resistance were also miles better from the start.

And that is exactly what I am talking about:
Arthur is a better player for recycling possession and press resistance.
Rakitic is better at defending and in the attacking area.
But then, against La Liga teams, where we have possession either way, Raki's skills can help more than Arthur's.
Especially defensive skills, since someone needs to cover for Messi, Suarez and Roberto on the right side, and as seen above, Raki has been way better defender since his Basel, Schalke or Sevilla days.

So, when you guys say: Arthur is young, he can improve, you are risking a lot.
Maybe he will, but the most likely: it is what it is. He will improve slightly in majority of areas.

Further, I don't know how much you guys have followed Rakitic at Sevilla and in NT team, but he was quite a nice CAM in the past who had some talent for dribbling, through balls, runs into a box and goals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAEPbyQaMxQ

Porque

My best Barcelona midfield has Rakitic in it, so it can only benefit us if he is playing well.

But next season he should go.

Messigician

If the management is smart they should sell him in January. His value will drop considerably in the summer.

Rakitić convinces: the Croatian is no longer for sale after three quality displays against Borussia Dortmund, Atlético Madrid and Real Mallorca. He has endured his time on the bench with professionalism and Barça's point of view has radically changed. [md] https://t.co/lct5TCROYw

mc_lovin

I hope that you understand now why I think that you guys are insanely overrating Arthur's skills.
You are translating his one good skill into all other skills.

Thats where our perception of talent simply differs. You try to put talent into stats, I look at the player. I needed one game to see that Frenkie will be topclass... heck, one run with the ball was enough to convince me. His technique is and was mindblowing. Compare that to players like Ruiz, who make football look like hard work in comparison while still being very decent (or Ziyech, who some people called the best Ajax player...). You on the other hand probably argued with stats for Rabiot.

Then you have a guy like Arthur, who has his "one good skill". But that skill doesnt stand alone or exists in a vacuum, its a consequence of his technical ability. Can you name a single player (bar the worldclass ones), who was this good at moving with the ball? I cant. Even Rakitic at his best wasnt half as good with his movement. The rest (keypasses, assists, goals) will naturally develope with experience, position(!!!), confidence, coaching etc. You can quote me on that. Heck, he even showed signs of that this season (and had pretty much the most influantial performances attacking wise of our midfielders).

I am not even one of those overly romantic types of person, who had faith in Alena, Puig (who really lacks the defensive side), Samper etc pp or want Griezmann as a 9.

But whatever, you dont need to throw more stats I wont read into my direction. As long as Arthur doesnt fuck up his career with poor choices Im quite confident he will massively prove you wrong. All I need to do is wait. If hes playing in 3rd division by then consider yourself right.

BBZ8800

Rakitić convinces: the Croatian is no longer for sale after three quality displays against Borussia Dortmund, Atlético Madrid and Real Mallorca. He has endured his time on the bench with professionalism and Barça's point of view has radically changed. [md] https://t.co/lct5TCROYw

Yes.
Also, an interesting thing that the news about Rakitic not being for sale anymore, came a day after it was found out that Arthur has STDs.
Today in the article written by BOTH Fernando Polo and Miguel Rico in Mundo Deportivo, they wrote that Rakitic is a bomb-proof of professionalism and that Arthur has physical problems, irregular form and intense social life.
Too much smoke lately about Arthur's private life, bad professionalism and party social life.
Also, MD reveals today that it was not EV's idea to bench Rakitic, but it was the board's idea after Anfield to move into a new direction with younger players.
I have personally always suspected that it was a case, when EV suddenly started Semedo as a RB, Roberto in midfield, Frenkie-Arthur-Alena-Roberto as starters in early rounds.
But after average results and Arthur's party life, EV is going back to his roots.
Google translate:
Mundo Deportivo said:
Rakitic has three headline games, with three great victories against Borussia Dortmund, Atlético de Madrid and Mallorca, and in the club they have changed their look towards him. The new situation is that now it is no longer for sale when, until recently, they were made on how much could be taken out with it in the month of January. It takes money, it is obvious, but the priority is to straighten the course of the team at once and Rakitic's entry has given him consistency, poise, aggression and knowing how to be. Hence the change of mentality with the Croatian. It is no longer thought of transferring him but that he brings the bomb-proof professionalism he has always shown, and more recently, and his trade in a core in which the third man after Busquets and De Jong has not consolidated. Arthur, for example, started well but it has been diluted, weighed down by irregularity, physical problems (the last ones, pubic) and rumors about an intense social life. In that context the figure of a Rakitic has emerged that neither expected his initial ostracism nor his rehabilitation in the last two weeks.

The desert crossing began for Rakitic in summer. The arrival of Frenkie de Jong took him ahead although Ivan believed that the Dutchman did not arrive to take his place, as he said in an interview with Mundo Deportivo in May. But it was. In addition, Valverde had decided to continue at Barça after the Anfield wreck but with the commitment agreed with the board to oxygenate the starting team with youth. And the bet for the new core went through the almost untouchable Busquets, an institution in the club, the hopeful De Jong and an Arthur who was expected to step forward in offensive tasks to give and score more goals.

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/fc-barcelona/20191210/472151974954/rakitic-convence-ya-no-esta-en-venta.html

Home of Barca Fans