Ivan Rakitić

Question17

He isn't barca level, never was.

The barca level that exists in your head is irrelevant. He is one of the most decorated starters in football. He has over a 100 apps and has many impressive moments for barca. Who gives a damn about meeting your level, its about winning trophies and barca has done that with him as a starter. Barca will still win the league this year with rakitic as a starter, this was the highlight of great players like cruyff but oh its not about results its about trying to get 11 wc players and shitting on anyone who doesn't meet that standard.

Did people just suddenly forget about how shit he was at the start of this season when we were playing the 4-3-3?

He only started playing well after Valverde switched to the 4-4-2 with Busi and Raki as double pivots, a system that suits Rakitic to a tee, but unfortunately not many other players.

He isn't good enough to play in a traditional Barca setup.

Cule4life

The Culest
People saying he isn't good enough for Barca are right in terms of his vision. In Valverde's system he doesn't need to create only defend which he does well because of his workrate and no creative burden. But that has compounded our MF woes when the only creativity is coming from Messi, while all people like Rakitic do is find Messi and pass him the ball.

If we have to achieve our old level especially in MF we can't continue with players like Rakitic as undisputed starters.

I think a lot of people here play too much career mode in FIFA lol
Every thread you go to people want to replace the player... so far i have seen people wanting to kick out Pique, Rakitic, Suarez, Iniesta, Umtiti, Roberto, Alba, Denis, Paulinho, Gomes, Vidal, Paco and Semedo... that is 13 players 9 who play regularly, 7 who are starters, how are we going to replace all these players all at once??

Neymessi

The barca level that exists in your head is irrelevant. He is one of the most decorated starters in football. He has over a 100 apps and has many impressive moments for barca. Who gives a damn about meeting your level, its about winning trophies and barca has done that with him as a starter. Barca will still win the league this year with rakitic as a starter, this was the highlight of great players like cruyff but oh its not about results its about trying to get 11 wc players and shitting on anyone who doesn't meet that standard.

Nah he isn't barca level and honestly never was. He can't produce an attacking threat to save his life. Sure he defends and shit but he isn't a cdm. Him defending is an added advantage but his primary role is producing attacking threat and he can't. You have written a lot of weird things in your post "one of the most decorated starters in football" "He has over a 100 apps" etc etc most of which isn't true and the one that is, doesn't mean he is a great player.

Kroos and modric are both way better players than him and even a player of his profile who passes mostly and controls the game like kroos, koke etc, he isn't good enough in that category to start for barca. Shouldn't have ever been bought to begin with he was always average.

JerseyAddict

If he suits the system now he is Barca player. And a good one if you make a parallel to trophies won <> Rakitić playing (not something like trophies won<> Arda collecting money).
So all this shit on him is in some terms unfair, he is providing exactly what coach wants from him. Lucho and Valverde.

Is it good enough? Is it the best option? Is there a better player? No. NO. YES.
But? Who? Is he available?
How will this other one suit the Valverde system?
Will there be another coach?

I hope we get some WC CDM and I hope we get some coach who doesn't shit his pants and mess up 4:1 first leg lead. We can all say Kroos this Modrić that etc. but they are not available.

Until then, Raki is a good and PROVIDING Barça player.

Raketa10

He had a great season but IMHO now is the right time to sell him if we can bring someone better. He is 30 years old and I don't think he can play on this level for much longer. But who can we bring instead of him???

Apparently Bayern and Niko Kovac want him. I wonder if we could exchange him for Thiago? What do you guys think would that make sense? :thinking:

I know Thiago is injury prone but if we get Thiago and buy another strong DM that could work if Thiago manages to stay healthy. I am really not sure what's the best solution for us since there is no perfect midfielder on the market right now. :neutral:

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He can probably stay another season, but he should not be a starter anymore. We need to look back to what made us so great and what makes other teams' midfield so good too.

We need more control, creativity and energy in the midfield.

Raketa10

He can probably stay another season, but he should not be a starter anymore. We need to look back to what made us so great and what makes other teams' midfield so good too.

We need more control, creativity and energy in the midfield.

I agree with you but the problem is who is that creative and controlling midfielder?

Judoman

He had a great season but IMHO now is the right time to sell him if we can bring someone better. He is 30 years old and I don't think he can play on this level for much longer. But who can we bring instead of him???

Apparently Bayern and Niko Kovac want him. I wonder if we could exchange him for Thiago? What do you guys think would that make sense? :thinking:

I know Thiago is injury prone but if we get Thiago and buy another strong DM that could work if Thiago manages to stay healthy. I am really not sure what's the best solution for us since there is no perfect midfielder on the market right now. :neutral:

I agree, this is ideal time to sell him. I was thinking the same thing last summer, but since he had good season we should still be able to get more than we payed for him.
Exchange for Thiago would be awesome, but i doubt that s possible.

Whoever we get instead, should be faster with at least similar technical abilities.

The only realistic WC/near WC option i see for this summer transfer window is Pjanic.

DonAK

I agree with you but the problem is who is that creative and controlling midfielder?

That's the issue right. We've fucked up so badly with this. Every team got one or at least player with those characteristics. Kroos in Real Madrid, Pjanic in Juventus, Thiago-sort-of in Bayern, De Bruyne kind of developing into one although more attacking, etc. Verratti, but that cunt looking midget would rather collect Ligue 1 trophies while being injured half the time.

None of these players would be available. Perhaps Pjanic would be for the right amount, but he's 28 and kind of slow which worries me.

That's the issue right. We've fucked up so badly with this. Every team got one or at least player with those characteristics. Kroos in Real Madrid, Pjanic in Juventus, Thiago-sort-of in Bayern, De Bruyne kind of developing into one although more attacking, etc. Verratti, but that cunt looking midget would rather collect Ligue 1 trophies while being injured half the time.

None of these players would be available. Perhaps Pjanic would be for the right amount, but he's 28 and kind of slow which worries me.

I think we need two more world class midfielders.

Don't get me wrong, I like what Coutinho has showed this season with us but he plays far too high up the pitch to be considered a midfielder. Reading some Liverpool forums I've also come to find that he essentially played as a 4th forward for them. He's at his best at the edge of the opponent's box; much further up than Iniesta usually plays.

DonAK

I think we need two more world class midfielders.

Don't get me wrong, I like what Coutinho has showed this season with us but he plays far too high up the pitch to be considered a midfielder. Reading some Liverpool forums I've also come to find that he essentially played as a 4th forward for them. He's at his best at the edge of the opponent's box; much further up than Iniesta usually plays.

It would be a miracle if we could get even one World Class CM.

Heck we're not even getting Arthur until January either which is pointless as he won't get any minutes then.

Home of Barca Fans