Ivan Rakitić

khaled_a_d

I think one issue about his salary is length of his contract. A player like Rakitic might take a lesser salary with Seville if he is getting 3+ years on his new contract. If Seville want him for just couple of years that will be tough.

jairzinho

Why are we assuming that Sevilla wants him so bad, especially with his high wages?. I?ve had a good look at the Lopetegui system and it?s all about rapid movement, energy and pressing. We all know Rakitić does not like to run. He is extremely sluggish and will be slower by next year. If i am Sevilla I would steer clear of that deal.

Andresito

Staff member
Why are we assuming that Sevilla wants him so bad, especially with his high wages?. I?ve had a good look at the Lopetegui system and it?s all about rapid movement, energy and pressing. We all know Rakitić does not like to run. He is extremely sluggish and will be slower by next year. If i am Sevilla I would steer clear of that deal.

I think most 2nd tier teams would want Rakitic for his experience. He's not a worthless midfielder and would do a great job at teams like Sevilla, Arsenal or Inter.

George_Costanza

Its the reason we are one of the best clubs in the world. I get the general idea here that high salaries are "very bad", but truth be told they are necessary. But sometimes you get burned, see Umtiti and veterans past their primes.

It's wrong and not practical. The best companies to work for will only pay comparable salaries to their competitors.

i.e Goldman Sachs pays almost the same basic salary as any other investment bank but the difference is their bonus structure is huge. And the bonus is based on performances and meeting the annual target.

This should be Barcelona's salary model. Salaries similar to any other top teams but increase the bonus to be based on individual performance and trophies won.

snowy

Really surprised this performance based system is not applied by all clubs. It's the easiest motivator boost board can have over players and it minimizes their losses it can they sign a lemon.

+ this system is more likely to attract hungry talent whereas current one is ideally tailored for retirees looking to bask in the sunset sipping white russians and mind erasers to 4get Anfield :whistle:

mc_lovin

It's wrong and not practical. The best companies to work for will only pay comparable salaries to their competitors.

i.e Goldman Sachs pays almost the same basic salary as any other investment bank but the difference is their bonus structure is huge. And the bonus is based on performances and meeting the annual target.

This should be Barcelona's salary model. Salaries similar to any other top teams but increase the bonus to be based on individual performance and trophies won.

We arent far off. We pay 1ME on average more per player than Madrid, and that includes Messi with 50ME, which is roughly 2ME per player in a ~25 men squad alone. But to be fair there are plenty of different reports on salaries. Who knows whats true.

Performance related salaries sound nice, but is there any team who employs that model (excluding bonus payments, who are standard)? I dont think we can be the exception and handle things like that. Goldman Sachs is not comparable, whos sole purpose is making money. We are thankfully still a sporting institution.

Last edited:

Porque

This is the model we initially set with the Laporta regime. My memory is sketchy but from recollection 40-60% of salary was performance based.

When we moved away from this, or by how much is anyone's guess. But the seasons where we won the CL were the ones that we also made the least profit because of this.

EDIT

I sense we really lost a sense of perspective only recently when Bartomeu was thrust into power. The list of wages in another thread are simple crazy for recent signings, renewals- and Messi.

Luckily it is redeemable once all the old guard are moved on but it is going to be a rough fee years signings wise.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

This is the model we initially set with the Laporta regime. My memory is sketchy but from recollection 40-60% of salary was performance based.

When we moved away from this, or by how much is anyone's guess. But the seasons where we won the CL were the ones that we also made the least profit because of this.

#LaportaIn

mc_lovin

I vaguely remember that our bonus payments in 2009 were absolutely insane, and after that we scaled them down massively. Maybe that 40% figure is right, but can be a bad indicator as well when you have high salaries+high performance boni. Increasing salaries after so much success is pretty common as well.

FinBarcelonafan

Really surprised this performance based system is not applied by all clubs. It's the easiest motivator boost board can have over players and it minimizes their losses it can they sign a lemon.

+ this system is more likely to attract hungry talent whereas current one is ideally tailored for retirees looking to bask in the sunset sipping white russians and mind erasers to 4get Anfield :whistle:

After certain point human is not that motivated by money. I mean the difference is small.

Home of Barca Fans