Ivan Rakitić

Xaviniesta

Here are actual insightful stats, like key passes per 90mins:

lfDFvua.png

no surprise that rakitic and busquets are at the bottom

Arizona Scott

It's amusing how stats make Rakitc look better than he really is.

The really "amusing" stuff is that there is a wit of difference between which of the 4 started between him, Busi, Arthur and Arturo, yet the bizarre and obsessive scapegoating him as a core problem to the team vs many others. Another amusing bit is this myth that whether he stays or goes will have such a major impact on the trajectory of the next season and the club--all this fuss on 10th or 11th spot in the squad.

I believe de Jong will majorly change the calculation (instantly be the 1st choice in midfield and add a lot of dynamism we didn't have) and I also think Arthur should keep getting better and should establish him as an undisputed regular. The final composition among the three 30+ olds with major wages (though IR the lowest among them at Busi's the highest) just is not that big a deal.

Rory

A good squad player to have with the long season but the only issue is his inclusion in games where other midfielders are far more suited that makes me want him to leave. To get 30-40mil for him at his age too would be brilliant. Sure he doesn't deserve to bare all the weight of these losses but he's top 3 in the squad in terms of who is accountable imo.

Also he may only be one player in an 11 man team but he influences how other people play. He slows the game down, gives the opponent time to recover position and then when he does pass to busquets/arthur or just anyone their options are pretty limited. A lot of his passing I've noticed is pass the ball and hope the player does something with it, he doesn't look for the next ball or try a one two or a forward run, he passes it and is stood with heels on the ground signalling to the opposition to not bother marking him because he's not interested. Busquets is a dm but still has nearly the same forward passes as Rakitic who is supposedly our most advanced cm? On top of that, these forward passes have only resulted in 5 assists in la liga last year so you have to question the nature of these forward passes.

Xaviniesta

A good squad player to have with the long season but the only issue is his inclusion in games where other midfielders are far more suited that makes me want him to leave. To get 30-40mil for him at his age too would be brilliant. Sure he doesn't deserve to bare all the weight of these losses but he's top 3 in the squad in terms of who is accountable imo.

Exactly. He's definitely the 1st. Always sulks and goes invisible. Not even the stats from his fanboys can save him:

Rakitic is one of the few in the squad who played in all the major defeats while managing to be rated the worst midfielder in all the games.

He was the worst rated midfielder against:
-Atletico
-Juventus
-Roma
-Liverpool

He is definitely the biggest problem, for all those reasons you mentioned and more. No amount of "scapegoat" posts by folks like the dude above you can change that.

I'd rate Suarez's goal drought as the 2nd biggest problem followed by the mental collapse of our defenders like Pique and Alba.

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

rakitic was the top rated mf, edgeing busi, across all cl matches (see sofascore or whoscored for unbiased ratings). he also was ahead of busi in both liverpool matches and split with vidal, vidal rated better match 2 and rakitic match 1.

but i know facts mess up a good tinted narrative seeking a simple solution--aka 1 or 2 scapegoats in 12v 12 sport with managers and subs in the mix too.

Last edited:

defyqa

rakitic was the top rated mf, edgeing busi, across all cl matches (see sofascore or whoscored for unbiased ratings). he also was ahead of busi in both liverpool matches and split with vidal, vidal rated better match 2 and rakitic match 1.

but i know facts mess up a good tinted narrative seeking a simple solution--aka 1 or 2 scapegoats in 12v 12 sport with managers and subs in the mix too.

Talking about rose-tinted glasses...

Rory

yes busi wasn't good enough too, but try telling me rakitic is better than him at playing dm, they aren't suited playing with each other so who gets that spot? It's like you own shares in him or something with how defensive you are, fans are allowed to criticise players especially when their money contributes to wages. I said that rakitic is a good squad player (positive statement) and the ONLY issue was the manager choosing him when he isn't suited to a certain game, or should rakitic start every game regardless of opposition strengths? And I also said top 3 accountable, meaning at least 3, not 1 or 2. Top 3 accountable also suggests there are others accountable just not as much as the top 3.

To suggest one or two players can't be the difference in a game is also laughable, origi and wijnaldum scored 2 each knocking us out in the same game, karius gifted madrid a cl the year before. When you support a team that has been carried by Messi and lately ter stegen how can you not see the importance of individuals? There is a systemic issue in barca that has resulted in these painful losses but the reality is some players were more at fault and have shown they don't have the ability for barca

JohnN

Rakitic does get some unfair criticism I believe.

Nobody ever beleived he was at Xavi level and he is not as good as he once was.

It is not his fault he played so many games and he played at Liverpool, except if he somehow pressures Valverde to start every game, which should never be possible, with a decent coach.

Just to be clear, I don't like his playing style, I believe he is in decline and his comments make him somewhat dislikeable.

But, he is not as bad or hasn't always been as bad, as some people make him out to be nowadays.

All that said, I would prefer he left. Along with Valverde if possible.

Xaviniesta

yes busi wasn't good enough too, but try telling me rakitic is better than him at playing dm, they aren't suited playing with each other so who gets that spot? It's like you own shares in him or something with how defensive you are, fans are allowed to criticise players especially when their money contributes to wages. I said that rakitic is a good squad player (positive statement) and the ONLY issue was the manager choosing him when he isn't suited to a certain game, or should rakitic start every game regardless of opposition strengths? And I also said top 3 accountable, meaning at least 3, not 1 or 2. Top 3 accountable also suggests there are others accountable just not as much as the top 3.

To suggest one or two players can't be the difference in a game is also laughable, origi and wijnaldum scored 2 each knocking us out in the same game, karius gifted madrid a cl the year before. When you support a team that has been carried by Messi and lately ter stegen how can you not see the importance of individuals? There is a systemic issue in barca that has resulted in these painful losses but the reality is some players were more at fault and have shown they don't have the ability for barca

dude don’t bother, that guy has his head up rakitic’s ass at this point. I’m pretty sure he was one of the few who said he wanted his contract renewed :lol:

Raketa10

To be fair I don't understand Rakitic at all. This is his last chance to sign another big contract. He can probably sign with United or PSG for another 3 or 4 years and get a huge salary but he is rather staying here while club wants him out?! :confused: Not to mention next year we won't get anything for him plus at 32y of age he wont get the money he can get today. Can't understand his logic at all but I am almost certain he ain't thinking right or his wife is the one who is refusing to leave Spain. Whatever the reason is it's stupid as it gets.

Last edited:

JohnN

To be fair I don't understand Rakitic at all. This is his last chance to sign another big contract. He can probably sign with United or PSG for another 3 or 4 years and get a huge salary but he is rather staying here while club wants him out? Not to mention next year we won't get anything for him plus at 32y of age he wont get the money he can get today. Can't understand his logic at all but I am almost certain he aint thinking right.

Must have something to do with his family staying here and being settled in Barcelona more than anything else.
It's not like he has low wages or will be deprived of money if he doesn't sign one more big contract, which he could do anyway in China or MLS later on.
I can understand where he is coming from when he wants to stay.

Raketa10

Must have something to do with his family staying here and being settled in Barcelona more than anything else.
It's not like he has low wages or will be deprived of money if he doesn't sign one more big contract, which he could do anyway in China or MLS later on.
I can understand where he is coming from when he wants to stay.

Living 3 or 4 years in Paris or England and earning a ton of money is absolutely fabulous option. Staying in club which doesn't want you anymore is just wrong on so many levels.

MTL_Barca

To be fair I don't understand Rakitic at all. This is his last chance to sign another big contract. He can probably sign with United or PSG for another 3 or 4 years and get a huge salary but he is rather staying here while club wants him out?! :confused: Not to mention next year we won't get anything for him plus at 32y of age he wont get the money he can get today. Can't understand his logic at all but I am almost certain he ain't thinking right or his wife is the one who is refusing to leave Spain. Whatever the reason is it's stupid as it gets.

Family is probably a big reason, and i think he just doesn't care that much about "the club" wanting him gone when his biggest fan Ernie is still in charge so he doesn't really have to fear getting dropped completely.

clemente

Rakitic does get some unfair criticism I believe.

Nobody ever beleived he was at Xavi level and he is not as good as he once was.

It is not his fault he played so many games and he played at Liverpool, except if he somehow pressures Valverde to start every game, which should never be possible, with a decent coach.

Just to be clear, I don't like his playing style, I believe he is in decline and his comments make him somewhat dislikeable.

But, he is not as bad or hasn't always been as bad, as some people make him out to be nowadays.

All that said, I would prefer he left. Along with Valverde if possible.

lmao what a rollercoaster, midway defending Rakitic there is a realization that you dislike him yourself.

JohnN

Living 3 or 4 years in Paris or England and earning a ton of money is absolutely fabulous option. Staying in club which doesn't want you anymore is just wrong on so many levels.

I don't know his reasons. It may be a good option for you or me, but for Rakitic, it's just another option. He earns a lot of money here and lives in Barcelona.
Having a family in Barcelona, with kids going at schools etc, must be high on his list of reasons to stay though.
I believe that in a world where Espanyol would bid for him, he would go. He doesn't seem to care about the sporting aspect anyway.

lmao what a rollercoaster, midway defending Rakitic there is a realization that you dislike him yourself.

I dislike him, this should be absolutely obvious and clear.
I am just trying to be a little bit more objective towards him and not hold him responsible for more than he deservers. It's not black and white for me.

Home of Barca Fans