Ivan Rakitić

soul24rage

PSG only has Diarra as a DM and he's not even close to Rakitic. If PSG wants Rakitic, then they better pay the clause or forget about it.

Total-Football

the last of our midfielders i would sell.. i would sell busquets before him if we are talking 2018.. we are no longer a tiki taka team and we seem to share possession with strong teams (i believe chealsea outpossessed us last season) therefore serio`s over all contribution has gotten less significant to rakitic`s.

Vilarrubi

the last of our midfielders i would sell.. i would sell busquets before him if we are talking 2018.. we are no longer a tiki taka team and we seem to share possession with strong teams (i believe chealsea outpossessed us last season) therefore serio`s over all contribution has gotten less significant to rakitic`s.

If we’re not a tiki taka team (not disagreeing with you) what does Rakitic bring to the team?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
PSG are not going to make a big bid for Rakitic. It's just Catalan paper BS.

Keep Rakitic for another year, but if it doesn't work out again and Rakitic and Busquets look clueless in the CL again, we definitely have to think about a few things next year.

These two have definitely been our worst performers in crunch ties the last 2-3 years. Something need to be done about that because the midfield have looked absolutely clueless and easily bullied in those games.

Last edited:

Total-Football

If we’re not a tiki taka team (not disagreeing with you) what does Rakitic bring to the team?

the so called workoholism.. the fact that we dont possess the ball a lot means we also need to defend nowdays.. busquets is extreamly slow in movement and abysmal in opposition couter attacks.. Rakitic s defensive input is remarkable. one would argue that rakitic seems to be aging better than sergio.busquets that s not to be over looked too.

Last edited:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent

Rakitic is one of the best long ball passers in the world. We have no movement upfront and our play is far from being vertical, hence Rakitic is not able to showcase this strength of his properly. It is worth keeping him just because of his defensive output and long ball ability. Of course if a big offer comes though, we should consider selling.

Stric

Crazy how many people here want to sell Rakitić as if he is a burden of some kind. I understand his weaknesses and I understand if some think that we (arguably) might have better options, but that doesn't mean we should get rid of him. The squad can't consist of only those who would be the ideal starting 11, when in-form. He is a hard working player, can cover several midfield positions (and has rightfully mostly been the first choice for his primary position for most of his time here), has been successful here, bought for a ridiculously small fee by today's standards, and probably isn't in the upper wage bracket. Unless you're absolutely in dire need of cash, he is exactly the type of player you want to keep in your squad. Especially if you don't have a specific and secure replacement lined up.

Rakitić is not a flashy player, he will never be as elegant as Iniesta or as creative as Xavi, but he does all of the dirty work and stays in his lane. You'd think we'd appreciate having a player like him on the pitch with Messi and Suarez.

Also, I find it ironic how Barca has tried with Fabregas and at times with Thiago and Rafinha to have someone replace Xavi, but all of them were simply more suited to the more attacking role, a la Iniesta. Then we got rid of them and bought Rakitić, again a proper attacking midfielder, who excelled as a #10. And I admit I thought it was just the same mistake all over again, but boy, did Rakitić prove me wrong. He is no Xavi, not by a longshot, nor does he play the same role, but he understood his task and he executed it well. And now that we finally have a midfielder who can keep up with the workrate and cover that area, we complain that he doesn't offer enough going forward. :lol:

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

the so called workoholism.. the fact that we dont possess the ball a lot means we also need to defend nowdays.. busquets is extreamly slow in movement and abysmal in opposition couter attacks.. Rakitic s defensive input is remarkable. one would argue that rakitic seems to be aging better than sergio.busquets that s not to be over looked too.

I think that’s vastly exaggerated.. his defensive contribution is pretty good but nowhere near as good as people make out. He gets dribbled past very easily especially on counters and with his lack of pace along with Busi’s lack of pace we’re f*cked. Rakitic looked better than Busi last season, but this season it looks like we’re back to 4-4-3 so as a CM he doesn’t bring enough for a Barca CM. Struggles against parked buses, doesn’t make risky passes, can’t turn a man and dribble away because of lack of agility, the backwards and sideways passes etc the offensive contribution should be more important. I enjoyed those long balls he was doing in the game at the weekend, should do it more.

Rakitic is one of the best long ball passers in the world. We have no movement upfront and our play is far from being vertical, hence Rakitic is not able to showcase this strength of his properly. It is worth keeping him just because of his defensive output and long ball ability. Of course if a big offer comes though, we should consider selling.

Those long balls he should do more.. but in the tough games where teams are set up better defensively they won’t be half as effective. Imagine doing those against Atleti.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Crazy how many people here want to sell Rakitić as if he is a burden of some kind. I understand his weaknesses and I understand if some think that we (arguably) might have better options, but that doesn't mean we should get rid of him. The squad can't consist of only those who would be the ideal starting 11, when in-form. He is a hard working player, can cover several midfield positions (and has rightfully mostly been the first choice for his primary position for most of his time here), has been successful here, bought for a ridiculously small fee by today's standards, and probably isn't in the upper wage bracket. Unless you're absolutely in dire need of cash, he is exactly the type of player you want to keep in your squad. Especially if you don't have a specific and secure replacement lined up.

Rakitić is not a flashy player, he will never be as elegant as Iniesta or as creative as Xavi, but he does all of the dirty work and stays in his lane. You'd think we'd appreciate having a player like him on the pitch with Messi and Suarez.

I’m just really tired of watching homie give up the ball in the final third. I’m not doubting his quality and the grit he brings us but at times, I pull my hair out watching him pass for us. If his final ball was better, I’d want him to retire here but too many times throughout multiple seasons, I’ve watched him turnover the ball, misplace a penetrating pass or not see an open run and for how we play, we cannot afford that. I was hoping the WC run would improve some of this but I was seeing the same issues with him against Alvares. All of this is also precisely why I DON’T want Rabiot; it’ll be the same issues all over again. Plus as was said prior, he isn’t great at controlling games and can get overrun in the big CL games. Happened against Roma and Juve the season prior.

I’d also say I think we already have his replacement in the form of Sergi Roberto. Everything that Rakitic gets praised for, I see Roberto doing and crucially for me, his end product in the final third is better than Raki’s.

I’d highly consider PSG’s bid honestly bc he ain’t getting any younger. Problem is, it’s so late in the window that we couldn’t spend that money in time.

Fuck it: Rakitic + 110 for Mbappe :lol:

BBZ8800

These two have definitely been our worst performers in crunch ties the last 2-3 years. Something need to be done about that because the midfield have looked absolutely clueless and easily bullied in those games.

They were the worst, yes.
Together with sulking Messi, pub player Suarez, granny Iniesta, no RB, weak Pique, low IQ Alba.

They were as bad as 9 other guys.
Mats and Umtiti were only decent guys.

serghei

True that. Great post. Rakitic should only be sold for top cash. If someone comes and offers at least 60m for him I'd sell him. Otherwise, no way.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

PSG are not going to make a big bid for Rakitic. It's just Catalan paper BS.

Keep Rakitic for another year, but if it doesn't work out again and Rakitic and Busquets look clueless in the CL again, we definitely have to think about a few things next year.

Exactly.. the midfield if anything is the MOST important role in those tough games. It’s fine steamrolling La Liga teams and tbh the 4-4-2 midfield was set up pretty well for La Liga last season but in our CL exits it has been none existent. The midfield should control the game, not put defence under too much pressure with constant back passes, be able to transition the ball from defence to attack well... I also think Iniesta was out of his depth in the last few seasons in those tough games although he did have the ability to move the ball forward better than Busi and Rakitic.

Stric

I’m just really tired of watching homie give up the ball in the final third. I’m not doubting his quality and the grit he brings us but at times, I pull my hair out watching him pass for us. If his final ball was better, I’d want him to retire here but too many times throughout multiple seasons, I’ve watched him turnover the ball, misplace a penetrating pass or not see an open run and for how we play, we cannot afford that. I was hoping the WC run would improve some of this but I was seeing the same issues with him against Alvares. All of this is also precisely why I DON’T want Rabiot; it’ll be the same issues all over again. Plus as was said prior, he isn’t great at controlling games and can get overrun in the big CL games. Happened against Roma and Juve the season prior.

I’d also say I think we already have his replacement in the form of Sergi Roberto. Everything that Rakitic gets praised for, I see Roberto doing and crucially for me, his end product in the final third is better than Raki’s.

I’d highly consider PSG’s bid honestly bc he ain’t getting any younger. Problem is, it’s so late in the window that we couldn’t spend that money in time.

Fuck it: Rakitic + 110 for Mbappe :lol:

I understand that, but it would be unwise to sell someone who adds much to the squad and takes little away, only because they have their weaknesses. He is not a liability and he's not a financial burden. Our squad would be significantly weaker without him.

Although, I understand that a huge sum like 70-100M would be reason enough to consider selling, if all parties agree.

El Flaco

[tw]1031879354647830529[/tw]

Says Barca does not want to sell Rakitic. They put the future of the player in his own hands. There is no offer to improve his contract [from Barca] at the moment.

hamoon32

I would sell him for 100M. He's an extremely good player, but he's not Xavi or Modric. He's totally replacable, and we already have good depth in midfield. Realistically he won't have more than two world class seasons. I understand why PSG would want him, but i think we don't need him that much, and a net spend of 100M+ will allow us to buy both Suarez replacement and a world class, young CM next summer.

Home of Barca Fans