Ivan Rakitić

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I am not convinced that Rakitic is not Barca material. He WAS creative when he played for Sevilla, was one of those who created most chances in Europe, not just in La Liga. Since he joined us his role was changed, he was put in a more defensive role instead of the AM role in Sevilla I believe. when Dani was still here he was mostly covering the right flank so Dani could push up and assist Messi. His job simply has not been going forward. His abilities today certainly were affected by the role he had played in the last several seasons since he joined us.

He might not be in a particular good form right now (but again, who is? Other than Neymar, Messi, Umtiti and probably Olaf? All players have ups and downs), I think it has more to do with the collective funk our team has been in and less to do with his personal abilities.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I am sure of his qualities. It's just that he suffers motivational problems. Happens with many players who reached the top.

clemente

watching croatia : ukraine match at the moment, still cant understand how he got new contract, he is not barca material

A new contract? Really? He is still our 1st choice midfielder, hes not supposed to be a creator, he runs the most in our team and is the biggest off the ball presence that we have. Only when he isn't playing you can see how garbage we are and can't deal with pressure, PSG game is a good example.

JamDav1982

A new contract? Really? He is still our 1st choice midfielder, hes not supposed to be a creator, he runs the most in our team and is the biggest off the ball presence that we have. Only when he isn't playing you can see how garbage we are and can't deal with pressure, PSG game is a good example.

That performance against PSG was down to a lot of things not so much Rakitic not being in the midfield as little changed when he came on anyway.

A Barca midfield that has someone in there lacks the required quality but runs a lot is a sad state of affairs.

Rakitic is nowhere near world class or one of best in world and Barca should be looking for better in my opinion.

JerseyAddict

I was at times OK with his match against Ukraine and at times it was WTF. He realy has such ups and downs. I don't get it. On Euro he was good. After that he plays hot and cold.
It has to be somethibg with his approach. I can't see anyithing else. He doesn't look ill.

ronniecro

to say he is ill would be too much but he did loose some weight,if you compare him when we signed him and now it's clear

serghei

That performance against PSG was down to a lot of things not so much Rakitic not being in the midfield as little changed when he came on anyway.

A Barca midfield that has someone in there lacks the required quality but runs a lot is a sad state of affairs.

Rakitic is nowhere near world class or one of best in world and Barca should be looking for better in my opinion.

True. And I've seen this season some defensive issues with him as well. Just workrate doesn't cut it. He is useful when used as a deference point to other great players around him, in the sense that he can cover for those players (like he was used in 14-15). But when asked to provide the goods on his own, he comes up short.

I'd keep him if I was confident in our chances to sign a world class RB who could make the flank, but since that player is just not there on the market, I'd sign a more capable CM, with better quality on the ball. He can still be a squad player with consistent minutes, but just not the important player he was in 2014-15.

Last edited:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
He is stepping up in this part of the season. Good. Maybe him "resting" for the first half of the season for Gomes was a good thing. He does not look fatigued at least lol.

JamDav1982

He is stepping up in this part of the season. Good. Maybe him "resting" for the first half of the season for Gomes was a good thing. He does not look fatigued at least lol.

He looked knackered in that second half to me and not all that rested.

Was great in the latter part of the first half though.

JerseyAddict

But yesterday his shooting accuatiry is like, wtf, NK Lučko? :) I mean, all was either wide either over either bad. He has scored but even that would go wide if there were no defelction. And naturaly, CRO portals scream "LaLiga stole a goal from R akitić"...

Home of Barca Fans