Ivan Rakitić

Givenchy

Lots of speculations doing the rounds over the now presumed de Jong signing, one that's not making sense at all to me is the one that Barto promised Frenkie that two starters would be gone and that he wouldn't have trouble for game time.

Now, I'm all for saying the right things to lure a player to sign for us, as long as said favoritism is forgotten as soon as he puts pen to paper. Meaning once he signs, he will be just another young player - who is contractually obliged to comply with the club's duties - fighting for his minutes primarily off the bench, to start with at least.

However, many people are already saying which players will probably be sold - if said absurdity is to take place - and, while they can't quite come up with two names, the one that's a constant is Rakitic. Could he possibly be playing his last half a season at the club?

Should BBZ preemptively start hating on Frenkie (and digging through all his stats of course) as is customary to any player who threatens Raki's spot in Barca's midfield? But this time it will be apparently indefinitely, meaning he's gone for good. Or, is he? With Valverde still here.

I don't think Barto made that promise because of Frenkie wanting 1st team football.. more likely we planned a shake up in midfield this summer and the stars aligned.. and Rabiot was the main option *shudders*

Leo_Messi

Let us pray to God and all the saints that FDJ's very likely arrival will mean (as I have written about for ages) the exit of Rakitic this upcoming summer. One of the last opportunities that the club will have to cash in on him. Something that should have been done this past summer ideally if not for Valverde's insistence of that not happening.

Sell Rakitic, slowly start facing out Busquets who has 2 good seasons left at the highest level in his own words, continue the integration of Arthur wit the goal of making him a starter, repeat the same process with FDJ and try to fit Coutinho in the midfield (the most offensive part of it if the 4-3-3 formation will be used) and try to make that work. I would already do it this season as written in the Coutinho thread. If that will fail, try to offload Coutinho and look for a midfielder who is actually somewhat comparable with Iniesta style wish.

My only worry is that a Busquets-Arhur-FDJ midfield will be too static and pose too little offensive power. Unless the goal is to make FDJ a "pure" DM. In such a case, I take my comments back. It will be interesting for sure.

Total-Football

biggest fan of rakitic but what he delivers.. is not adequate with what we have.. with neymar, iniesta, messi there was no need for any initiative, now there is an ongoing shift and what he offers does not go with what need to put it simply. Either he or buskets must be sold and the latter wont be so..

FCB1987

Banned
biggest fan of rakitic but what he delivers.. is not adequate with what we have.. with neymar, iniesta, messi there was no need for any initiative, now there is an ongoing shift and what he offers does not go with what need to put it simply. Either he or buskets must be sold and the latter wont be so..

It would probably be better selling Busquets, but you're right that it won't happen

Arizona Scott

I am fine with selling 2 of rakitic, busi and vidal with fdj and rabiot coming in, nice way to freshen up the midfield with a core of 3 younger than 24 But this year's treble pursuit is tied to rakitic, Vidal and busis play (by the way wages for each is progressively higher), so you might as well be positive.

Leo_Messi

It would probably be better selling Busquets, but you're right that it won't happen

full

Not sure where to begin.

1) No, it would not. Busquets is our only (so far unless FDJ arrives) natural DM and not only your usual DM but a "Barça DM". Such DM's out there on the market can be counted on 2 or 3 fingers at most. As much as I myself have talked about Busquets relative decline, he is still one of the best on his position and him being a canterano and local and publicly admitting to having less than 2 seasons left at the highest level, make him by far the more sensible option to keep. Not to mention that his resale value is smaller than that of Rakitic as he is a "special player, case and fit" that Pep and a few other managers might only allow to shine in his advanced age.

2) Rakitic, as a player type, is much more common to find out there hence he will have an easier time integrating at numerous clubs and in numerous tactical systems. Not to mention that his resale value is higher due to a greater interest from other clubs if rumors are to be believed. Not to mention that he is much easier to replace.

Not sure if serious or joking.

Last edited:

EdmondDantes

Another thing to consider is that after Raki tried to force the board's hand in the summer in an attempt to get a bumper raise, it's been reported that any talks of a renewal has broken down (as opposed to Busquets who got his contract renewed and higher wages). He's got two years left. And he's 31.

For Ivan it's his opportunity for one last big contract elsewhere, for us, not allowing him to run his contract down would fetch us a transfer fee.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
More so I think he'll only want to return to Sevilla if he'll have to leave us. So the most we'll get is around 10M. For that I'd rather just keep him.

Lol. He will easily go for at least 50m in this market. A PL club or PSG will definitely want him.

Home of Barca Fans