Martino picks Alexis over Neymar

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking after 4-0 win over Elche, Barca manager Tata Martino shared his thoughts:

1388945827997.jpg

"It was between Alexis and Neymar. Alexis was in better condition and we have to pick one of the two. We tried to figure out who was in better condition to play."

"Pedro is a player that can win any manager over. He always has answers for the team. He's a player who can assist; he can score goals; he's generous with his team-mates. It's hard for us to leave him on the bench."

"We have a lot of intelligent players and Cesc is one of the best at interpreting the game. He knows when he should help his team-mates and he gives great passes; he always finds just the right space."

On Messi return

"The best player in the world will have an impact on the team. We'll be even better."

Vapor

I did notice in the open practice match that Neymar was not at his best, while Alexis looked very sharp. I also noticed that Cesc looked quite sharptoo.

Not like you can read too much into such things, but I am glad to see that Martino is able to look at things objectively and on a game-by-game basis. Sometimes, when Neymar is off form and Alexis is on form, Alexis IS the better player... and vice versa. I like how he isn't putting Neymar (or even Messi for that matter) up too high on a pedestal.

:tata: has done a great job so far this season, in my estimation. I hope he keeps it up... he has gained my confidence and faith this past few months. He doesn't always do what seems to be the smartest thing, but I'm sure he has his reasons... and overall the positives far outweigh the negatives in my book.

:party1: Rock on playa!

Josef K

I like how he isn't putting Neymar (or even Messi for that matter) up too high on a pedestal.

That's the good thing about Tata coming from outside the Barcelona "family". To him, Neymar, Messi, Pedro, Alexis, etc are all "new" players, so he's probably more objective in assessing their current level.

PhilS

Either Pedro or Alexis is going to be bummed about starting on the bench next Sunday. Good squad management to recognize them both yesterday.

Icarium

Lifestealer
:tata1: in dilemma to chose between neymar/pedro/alexis. I suggest start all 3 and sub one for messi at 60' exact. It is the best course of action for tata to take so that confidence of all 3 players will not drop who just scored hat tricks for the club and less pressure for messi. Like this way we can see cesc in midfield position too.

T

TataMascapenes

Pedro is better than Alexis imo when on form, the chileno is just having a lucky streak atm. I also noticed his lazyness yesterday while Pedro was running his socks off for the team.

Trickykid

Pedro is better than Alexis imo when on form, the chileno is just having a lucky streak atm. I also noticed his lazyness yesterday while Pedro was running his socks off for the team.

A lucky streak stretching close to a year or so? Bullshit.
And also, lazyness? Alexis? Come now, now.

If you really want to hate on Alexis, I'm sure you can do better than that. At least be creative...

On topic, great job by Martino, who's really showing character.

Trickykid

Yeah I know, right?
Dumbest shit I've heard all day, and I've been on the internet for more than a few hours today.

impeh

Hi, its me..
wonder if he'll surprise a few people and go with pedro/neymar/sanchez against atleti :tata1:

Dida

Like Vapor said, it all depends on who's a better level at that moment. And I agree that "Tata" manages Barça's starters on a game-by-game basis.

Home of Barca Fans