Julian Draxler

Messi983

With all respect but this lineup would be exposed as hell defensively. Messi can't play as CM in 3 man midfield, forget about that.

Zincubus

Banned
With all respect but this lineup would be exposed as hell defensively. Messi can't play as CM in 3 man midfield, forget about that.

He wouldn't be expected to run around tackling ( Xavi never ) . Messi would just need a couple of workhorses around him - Busqs for one maybe Roberto the other if we don't get a top class midfielder...

Seri looks the best bet for a few years ....he's no youngster after all

Zincubus

Banned

What about a FIVE man midfield ?

Three at the back , two up front with Messi joining in with attacks from deeper ?

FC433

You are right. That is actually the problem; however, we should still try to find a way for the new version of Messi. I do believe that the new Messi is going to be way more entertaining and enjoyable to watch if he is surrounded by the right players, once it clicks, we are going to witness something totally different for even more years.

Just going to Ronaldo to illustrate how his new position made him alive again. Zidane knew that he just cannot dribble anymore, he is still fast, but not so good one on one. Moving him deeper and letting him take care of the finale touch was brilliant. However, Madrid had to play in a different formation. They currently play 41212 narrow

------------------Ronaldo---Benzema
--------------------------Isco
----------Kroos-------------------------- Modric
-------------------------Casemiro
Marcelo ----------Ramos--------- Varane---------- Carvajal

When they are attacking, Marcelo and Carvajal play as LW & RW:

-------------------Ronaldo---Benzema
Marcelo-----------------------------------------------Carvajal
--------------------------Isco
----------Kroos-------------------------- Modric

-------------------------Casemiro
---------Ramos-------------------------Varane

However, I do not think we can play 41212 because we do not have good fullbacks and also because we do not have strikers who can finish the crosses. In addition, we play a little bit different and our midfielders are not great to play in such formations yet. We still should try it, but I just do not enjoy playing without actual wingers.

Messi's visions is absolutely amazing and his passes are lethal and that just never gets old. With the right players we could keep him for what , 5 more years? Saying Messi cannot play in a two player midfield would not solve the broken unbalanced right side. We are going to have the same issue, he is going to drop deep and our team is going to be a bit unorganized.

Last edited:

Messi983

He wouldn't be expected to run around tackling ( Xavi never ) . Messi would just need a couple of workhorses around him - Busqs for one maybe Roberto the other if we don't get a top class midfielder...

Seri looks the best bet for a few years ....he's no youngster after all

Still wouldn't work. Xavi ran 11-12 km per game without a problem, Messi is around 7-8 km. Big difference.

He should play as AMC and staying upfront with Suarez helping in defense more. Another solution in big games against team like RM with great fullbacks would be to use Roberto in somewhat Pedro role as RM/RW to help keeping the ball in offense and then also in defense by tracking back Marcelo and whoever would play as their LW. But then you have to also use a more mobile box to box midfielder alongside Busi. Here is where I think Paulinho could be useful. Seri could play there as well if he proves he can do his job in defense.

On paper formation would look like that.

Busi-Paulinho/Seri
Roberto-Messi-Dembele
Suarez

When attacking it would change to

---------Busi-------
Paulinho/Seri--Roberto
--------Messi-----
Suarez---Dembele

Valverde used Neymar as more inside forward in first preseason games so I think he could try something similar with Dembele in some games.

And in defense you have:

Roberto-Busi-Paulinho/Seri-Dembele
-------------------Suarez----
------------Messi----------

Don't know if Dembele is disciplined enough defensively for full 90 minutes which would be needed against the likes of Carvajal and I don't trust Alba much in defense either. That's why I have Suarez shifted more to his side to help them out a lot (I think Roberto, Semedo and Busi would do their job on the other side). Messi would stay more forward to keep his energy and when he'd get the ball he could either keep a possesion (getting a foul) or try to launch a counter attack with Dembele and Semedo/Alba overlaping. Suarez would join them too of course but he's not as fast. Also, teams wouldn't be stupid enough to let Messi on a potential 1 on 1 situation so they would keep back at least 2-3 defenders and that would mean we'd have a numerical advantage when defending if anyone else would track back discpilined.

What about a FIVE man midfield ?

Three at the back , two up front with Messi joining in with attacks from deeper ?

No, don't think we'll change our formation that much. We would also need another top CB in that case as I don't have full confidence in Masche anymore and Marlon is still too inexperienced.

Rahj

how about him or thomas müller (quite unhappy about his current situation at bayern) being an alternative to coutinho? opinions?

1993Kaan1993

how about him or thomas müller (quite unhappy about his current situation at bayern) being an alternative to coutinho? opinions?

Muller, impossible to get. Draxler is staying at PSG. very unlikely.

2 days ago BM president said that they didn't sign Draxler because signing him would reduce Muller's playing time so much. l don't believe in unhappy news, German media creates something to fill papers.

Zincubus

Banned

I reckon he'd be fine as our attack minded midfielder / deep lying forward . As long as there were two covering players alongside and Busqs behind him .

Truthist

Class talent BUT we need to identify and sign these kind of players before they go to the big teams. Do we actually have a scouting team that is accountable for all the players we keep missing?

Yannik

Omg .

Man of he match against Bordeux ...

Check out his wonder goal and the assists

He played CM for once. Normally, for whatever reason, he played on the wings for most of the time which I always found weird. Draxler in midfield is worldclass, clear upgrade to Motta.

Home of Barca Fans