The Preacher
GUDJOHNSEN_copia.jpg

Name: Eidur Gudjohnsen
Position: forward
Place of birth: Reykjavik (Island)
Date: 15-09-1978
Height: 185 cm
Weight: 82 kg

Gudjohnsen began to make his mark as a footballer from a young age, perhaps inspired by his father, who was also an Icelandic full international. When he was just 16, Eidur made his debut in the Icelandic league and ended up with 7 goals in 17 games - a return that caught the eye of PSV Eindhoven for whom he played for the following two seasons.

Gudjohnsen returned to his native Iceland to play for KR Reykjavik in the 97-98 season before signing for the Premier League club Bolton Wanderers, where he played for two seasons before joining Chelsea. He left the London club to replace Larson at Barca with a record of 62 goals in 219 games in his 6 years at Stamford Bridge, am experienced player with an impressive cv at the highest level.

Gudjohnsen played as an out-and-out striker in his first season with Barça, scoring 5 goals in 25 League appearances. The Icelander played deeper in the 2007/08 season, in which he turned out in 23 games and found the net twice.
(fcbarcelona.com)

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He was playing quite well before he got injured. Something tells me Pep has Eidur in mind to cover for Iniesta

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
That was a clinical goal tonight by Eidur. Pep obviously has much faith in him. As soon as he recovered from injury he named him in starting 11. And it was a right choice.

M.L. King

The Preacher
Incredible Eidur. His devotion to Barca is something we can look upon. He plays with heart and fights for his spot in the team.

B

Bardh

Re: 7 - Eidur Smari Gudjohnsen

Certainly in his best form since he came. I really started to admire this guy. When he said he didn't want to leave and stay to fight he looked to me as a parasite but now has really proven to be a super-sub. Definitely the center midfield is his best position. He is probably the coolest when in front of the goal.

M.L. King

The Preacher

Once again demonstrated his fighting spirit; even the crowd gave him a huge applause when he left the field. We have one of the best back-ups in him.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member

messi said:
Once again demonstrated his fighting spirit; even the crowd gave him a huge applause when he left the field. We have one of the best back-ups in him.

Very glad to hear it. Maybe we should try him wide on the left instead of Henry this weekend

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member

I`m pretty certain we`ll see him in starting 11 vs. Getafe. Pep usually plays with one DM in home games.

FCBNOF

Momo un Bello Uomo

Yeah, and we'll need strength in midfield so if we're going to field a 4-3-3 our midfield is likely to be compsed of: Keita-Xavi-Guddy which would be a good companation.

FCBNOF

Momo un Bello Uomo

That would be good but messi won't be available, 4-4-2 anyone?

M.L. King

The Preacher

FCBNOF said:
That would be good but messi won't be available, 4-4-2 anyone?

I was thinking throughout the season; but yes tomorrow he could play behind Bojan and Eto'o.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member

I seriously doubt we`ll ever see us play with 2 strikers. It would be interesting though.

Z

Zin

Gudjohnsen: “Our only opponent is ourselves”

Icelander Eidur Gudjohnsen spoke to the media in the Camp Nou pressroom, and his message was clear: Barça’s only opposition right now is Barça themselves.

The former Chelsea man is clear about it. There was a lot of talk about this difficult run of matches, and nobody could have hoped for things to work out quite so well. “But if we think that just because we have done that that it means we’ll be champions, things will come to a bad end” he said.

Messi and referees

Gudjohnsen did not criticise the Madrid players for the rough treatment Messi endured on Saturday night, saying “it is the referee that has to protect us, not just Messi but all footballers”.

The Icelander is also aware that the team’s work is anything but done despite the excellent results. “I think all the teams behind us are possible rivals. From Madrid, the reigning champion, through Sevilla and Valencia, who are just behind us. We are just thinking about beating Villarreal, we aren’t thinking about anything else, nor are we thinking back to Saturday. For the squad, the clásico is now history and it’s time to start looking ahead”.

The best of Eidur

Since Guardiola arrived, we really seem to be seeing the best that Gudjohnsen can offer. “It’s true. The last two years weren’t good either for me or the team, but this year, fortunately, it’s a whole lot more positive. The only thing I can say is that we have to keep on like this, working hard, with the same confidence we have shown up until now and not to take it easy in training, and to maintain a winning mentality. As I’ve said, Sunday is like another final. Things have gone well up to now, but we can’t start slouching”.

European draw

As for the teams Barça could face in the Champions League, Gudjohnsen said “I have no preferences as any of the four are good teams. More than worrying about the others, we have to worry about ourselves, if we do that, it’ll be for the better.”

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/english/ ... 06641.html

Home of Barca Fans