Barca draws Man City

ceefoo

No not just one game the point is why would you ever put a cb at rb if Alves is fit no cb offers what Alves does going forward. This is Barcelona we play to dominate games and out score the opponent, not think oh we are playing this or that team lets altar the way we play.
Because City will tear us apart if Dani Alves plays RB. We need someone who will:

- Challenge for headers
- Read the danger
- Make blocks and interceptions
- Lead and organise the defence
- Raise team morale, if the team encounter setbacks
- Provide an (Away-Goal) scoring threat from attacking corners
- Add Insurance by protecting the defence and allowing Alba to bomb-on

Zabaleta provides a very similar role to what Puyol did in his pomp. You know what an important player Zabaleta is to city right?

I know Puyol isn't the force he was and have noted that some members here have written him off. But if he is given some games in the run up to the tie so he can regain some form, I think he could do a job for the away leg.

Lets face it .... We are struggling for options in defence. And most of the best defenders will be cup-tied in the January TFW. Some have suggested Agger as he would be available for CL games, and he is a player I admire. But going by what we have available NOW, I believe Puyol would be the best choice.

Pozzo442

As a City fan I am extremely excited.

Barca is my softspot team and it is dream come true for city to represent at camp nou. I think we will have a good chance if our key players Kompany Kun and yaya are fit to play. I have always wanted to see messi live and I will at Etihad. Looking forward to seeing this great game.

JamDav1982

People are going far too over the top on how good Man City are, they should be nowhere near favorites.

Their defence has been terrible and they have scored a lot of goals by throwing men forward. There is no way they play Negredo and Aguero up front against Barcelona, that would be suicide for them.

Messi_Goal

Because City will tear us apart if Dani Alves plays RB. We need someone who will:

- Challenge for headers
- Read the danger

Zabaleta provides a very similar role to what Puyol did in his pomp. You know what an important player Zabaleta is to city right?

I know Puyol isn't the force he was and have noted that some members here have written him off. But if he is given some games in the run up to the tie so he can regain some form, I think he could do a job for the away leg.

Lets face it .... We are struggling for options in defence. And most of the best defenders will be cup-tied in the January TFW. Some have suggested Agger as he would be available for CL games, and he is a player I admire. But going by what we have available NOW, I believe Puyol would be the best choice.

Im a big Puyol fan and have not wrote him off I would only use him sparingly at his age and injurys this game Puyol should play but at cb.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

- Challenge for headers
- Read the danger

Zabaleta is not even close to the player Alves is even now.

Man City will be worried about Alves and I would bet on them playing Milner LW because of it.

The far bigger danger is Navas looking to take advantage of the space left by Albas runs up the park.

ceefoo

Zabaleta is not even close to the player Alves is even now.

Man City will be worried about Alves and I would bet on them playing Milner LW because of it.

The far bigger danger is Navas looking to take advantage of the space left by Albas runs up the park.
Zabaleta would WALK IN to our team. Just ask any of the City fans on our forum about him?

I really don't think what Dani would provide going forward will make up for what he will cost us in defence.

I agree that Alba is going to have a busy night. Another reason NOT to start Dani Alves.

serghei

Zabaleta would WALK IN to our team. Just ask any of the City fans on our forum about him?

I really don't think what Dani would provide going forward will make up for what he will cost us in defence.

I agree that Alba is going to have a busy night. Another reason NOT to start Dani Alves.

He would walk straight on our bench. It's very warm and cosy there, with blankets, refreshments and everything...

JamDav1982

Zabaleta would not walk into the Barca team you are rating him far too highly.

He is a good consistent full back that the Man City fans will like. Much in the same way Gary Neville was at Man Utd without ever being one of the top right backs in the world.

It is not even close, Alves is clearly the better player.

Djab

- Challenge for headers
- Read the danger

You are over-rating him, I think.

B

beautifulgame

City are too strong for us. Here is why:

- they have the best player in the world who is not only that but also arguably the best player in the history of the sport, winning 4 consecutive Ballon d'Ors
- they have the biggest prospect in world football who is already on double digits in goals and assists not even halfway through the season supporting this afromentioned player
- their entire squad is plastered with World Cup, multiple Euro Cup and multiple CL winners and a former European Player Of The Year
- they have the experience of 6 consecutive CL semi finals
- they have just set an all time record in their league, staying on top of the table for 54 consecutive match days
- they have lost 1 meaningful game all season
- they are conceding 0.68 goals per game. We are condeding 1.17 goals per game

Sorry guys, but I'm not confident. This is the first time in our club's history we're even making it this far.

:lol:

exactly.
city have can be really lazy and shitty in defense, i mean defending from the front to back. however, surely they will add to the squad in january. their midfield is strong, you guys are right however they aren't that quick and the players that are quicker (nasri, silva,) are too lazy to press and defend properly for an entire half, much less an entire game. At least they have not put on those types of shifts that a midfield needs to put in to dominate Barca yet.

we could really do by adding a CB in the january transfer window as well but here we are.

obviously, a kieta is needed for the away leg. we cant go in there with three small guys that lose faith when we lose the ball. so freakin no way we play busquets, cesc, iniesta or busquets, iniesta, xavi. One of either Masch or Song have to play in the middle or something of the like. the away game can't be played like a home game in midfield, its definitely not what Pep would do.

Also maybe Messi into midfield to retain the ball and with only Neymar and Alexis up top.

B

beautifulgame

Zabaleta would not walk into the Barca team you are rating him far too highly.

He is a good consistent full back that the Man City fans will like. Much in the same way Gary Neville was at Man Utd without ever being one of the top right backs in the world.

It is not even close, Alves is clearly the better player.

this.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Best defense is attack, we've played like this since Pep's first season and even before that. Alves has been the best RB since Pep's first season and still is, it's not even a close call between him and the second best when Alves is on form - Alves dominates in his position just as much as Busi and Messi dominates in their position (and Iniesta in his position when he finally finds his form again). I used to think that having 2 attacking fullbacks would hurt us, but it isn't under the condition the rest of the team press and do what they are supposed to. Since Pep took over we've only been dominated 1 match, against Bayern - and we've dominated like 80% of our matches. What does that say? That we should continue playing the way we do with small imperfections ironed out and small tweaks. We are Barca, we attack - simple...

Home of Barca Fans