Pair of central defenders for Stamford Bridge

Which partnership for 2nd leg?

• Pique-Caceres

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • Pique-Abidal

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters

beef-supreme

Ultimately I agree with Guardian - after all, Caceres hasn't played too bad - one match aside - when he has had the chance to do so. Let's see what he can do!

beef-supreme

Also I wouldn't play Victor Sanchez in CB, so far he's only ever come on as a substitute for Alves, or in Copa matches playing in his position... I wouldn't take such a huge risk when we already have Caceres, who's hardly that bad.

Miggy

Mr Lover Man
Caceres should get the nod to partner Piqué. He's far from a bad defender, he was a rock for Recre. He's obviously taken a massive step up from them to us and needs to be given some time. He's got pace, more so then Marquez, and that could be really useful against Drogba next week.

Irish_Cules

We have a few realistic options in my opinion and i really can't decide:

Most conservative: Abidal - Caceres - Pique - Alves
This one would mean that we virtually only attack from the right, and Abidal helps out, perhaps a lot, with Caceres.

Most attacking: Sylvinho - Abidal - Pique - Alves
Pep will definitely want Abidal to play, so if Sylvinho gets a game it will be Abidal in the middle. This one would give us two attacking wingbacks; whether Abidal and Pique together could handle the pressure though...

Safest? : Caceres - Abidal - Pique - Alves
Most of you don't seem to trust Caceres in a central position. So you can put him out on left where he would be less likely to cause damage and throw things away, especially since Chelsea will probably not be strong attacking from the right. The logic behind this is the same logic as is behind the Puyol - Pique - Marquez back-three-from-the-left, that it's more of damage and risk limitation.

But I can't choose, or at least not until I think about it more.

Think you need to learn your left and rights.

It could be a game where Caceres really grows up and shows his talent. Then again it could be a game where he crumbles under the pressure and gives away a goal.

beef-supreme

Think you need to learn your left and rights.

It could be a game where Caceres really grows up and shows his talent. Then again it could be a game where he crumbles under the pressure and gives away a goal.

Sorry, wasn't sure whether to write the back-line "facing me" or "facing away". I went for the "facing away" but i figured those who read would understand - what i meant by my formations therefore were like this:

henry - eto'o - messi
iniesta - touré - xavi
abidal - cáceres - piqué - alves

Etc.

maz

I walk the line
Oooohhhhh no he isn't. Ooooooohhh yes he is....wait... He's not played there that often and nothing comes to mind about him playing badly in that position. Like I said, he has more experience and he's quick so any mistakes he does make, hopefully he'll make up with it using his pace, although I know Caceres is quick aswell.
Trust me man, when he came to the club and said his favourite position was CB, i thought it would be a great option for us, but rijkaard played him there three or four times and he wasnt good at all. Marty's few matches for us he has shown better promise than abidal. Problem with abidal is is the kind of defender that hunts the ball down and gets it off the opponent. Give him an opponent running down the wing and he will chase him and take the ball off him. But give him drogba to man mark and my god, drogba will have a field day.

maz

I walk the line
Sorry, wasn't sure whether to write the back-line "facing me" or "facing away". I went for the "facing away" but i figured those who read would understand - what i meant by my formations therefore were like this:

henry - eto'o - messi
iniesta - touré - xavi
abidal - cáceres - piqué - alves

Etc.
In general we write

defence
midfield
attack

But it doesnt matter too much..

M

messiniesta

Screw those arbitrary conventions:
|---A
|---b
|---i---------------------------------A
|---d----------------------------------n
|---a------------------------------------d
|---l---------------------------------------r
|----------------------K-------------------é
|---C-----------------e---------------------s
|---á-----------------i
|---c------------------t---------------------------H
V--e------------------a---------------------------e
a---r---------------Y-------------------------------n
l---e---------------a------------------------------r
d--s---------------Y----X-------------------------y
é--|---------------a----a
s---P--------------------v
----i--------------------i-----------------------i
----q-----------------------------------------s
----u----------------------------------------s
----é--------------------------------------e
-----------------------------------------M
-----------------Dani Alves

Wow, that was a pain in the ass. The lengths one goes through just to break the convention, especially when one's busy as hell. Anyway, I voted Cáceres-Piqué, but both options scare me. When I think Abidal at CB, I picture him being a donkey for France against Italy at the Euro. When I think Cáceres at CB, I picture him being a donkey against Atleti and against Mallorca... but at least Cáceres has shown promising signs.

FCBNOF

Momo un Bello Uomo
When i think of Abidal as a CB, i think of a french disastor! lol
I believe we should go with marty.. but given the importance of the match and how it's near suicide, i'd rather stick with the french chaos!

Home of Barca Fans