What's your opinion about signing a pure #9?

Does Barça need a pure #9?

• Total voters
F

Flavia

At first the rumors were about a experience striker, as a plan b, now it's that Tata wants a 9 for the starting 11, with Messi playing behind him.

So, what's your thoughts about it? Does Barça need a pure #9?

Meitux

It depends on how it would work. I would like one, a mobile CF of course to interchange positions like Suarez or Aguero or Lewandowski. Mostly because they are dynamic and not supportive players, obviously can score more and create havoc. Something pretty similar that has happened in 2008-2009 2010-2011. Sometimes when Messi has the ball in the centre it feels like empty around the box, no real presence is what i mean. Suarez and Aguero are pretty similar while Lewa also adds strengh and height upfront. But i just mention them as an example on what i would like, already know that those are pretty much hard targets.

Last edited:

Icarium

Lifestealer
IMO getting a striker for starting 11 is a terrible idea, only would go for it if all our wingers suck badly(which is currently not the case). Experienced striker as plan B is very good i think, still would not jump into conclusions until feb and mar next year. Let's wait for big matches to come and then think about we need a no. 9 or not and let messi come into full fitness also.

Tata is still experimenting and may be we don't need a new no.9, may be could use neymar or sanchez as a strikers. Already neymar and cesc are eating up messi space on field, obviously would not want another hot head striker to limit messi. Messi is played at right wing only because he will be marked less not because he will run on wings( he don't have the pace he used to have four years back) and put crosses and passes to some stupid striker. Messi behind a striker may work in argentina but not in barcelona, argentina have average midfield but we have one of the best in the world. Where will messi play behind a striker in barcelona in cesc/xavi/iniesta place???.

If we buy one striker next year( which is presently not needed which may change if sanchez flops again) he should be quick, tall, strong and should be able get behind parked buses. I would like aguero but can't see man city selling them anyway.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I am a fan of having more options but I don't think it's necessary to change our plan A. Our forward-line is young and vibrant, with players that can alter positions. Tata can do some re-shuffling there if needed to throw off our opponents (like in Clasico when he played Messi on the right).

So my vote goes for "experienced striker for plan B".

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Experienced striker, especially with the development of Sanabria, Dongou and Sandro in the back of my head. An older player can really be of immense value to youngsters like that, trying to break into the 1st team.

adil_909

not this shit again. we were having this discussion a few years ago and now we are going in circles. people act like we have not won tons of trophies in the last 5 years without a number 9. here's a great saying for you all: IF IT ISN'T BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT!

adil_909

suprised at how many people voted for option 1 or option 2. we need a #9 about as much as rafa benitez needs another donut.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
suprised at how many people voted for option 1 or option 2. we need a #9 about as much as rafa benitez needs another donut.

A Number 9 for tricky games is not bad to be honest. A number 9 who would not demand a starting place and be happy with a limited role that is.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Voted "Yes, someone for the starting 11, as a plan A".

I think with the way Tata is setting the team up, we will need a striker by the time the Champions League games roll around. Should be fun to watch, especially if it comes with a 3-4-3.

F

Flavia

Voted "Yes, someone for the starting 11, as a plan A".

I think with the way Tata is setting the team up, we will need a striker by the time the Champions League games roll around. Should be fun to watch, especially if it comes with a 3-4-3.

Which 3-4-3 would you line up, with a #9?

footyfan

Calma, calma
Lewandowski for personal preference:

Neymar-Lewandowski-Alves
------Messi--------
Iniesta-Busquets-Xavi
Bartra/Alba-Pique-Mascherano

Obviously, Alves won't be so far up all the time and it wouldn't always be a 3-4-3. Messi would be slightly behind Lewandowski but to his right.

We would utilise both Neymar and Alves' great crossing, and Messi would have a bit more space between the lines as Lewa will push the opposition back.

Last edited:

Pepe Silvia

I wouldn't mind a mix up of tactics with an experienced striker. I believe a formation that can evolve in live time (as the game happens) is the future for this club. Everyone and their grandmother plays us the same because we lineup using relatively the same tactics. Tata is using great counter strategies and it is showing with our results. It has been a bit stale to watch, but if we are grinding out results, I will be happy. Players need to get off their high horse though and be on board with Tata's plans. I can see a few high profile players moping around and not giving everything they've got, but I'm also noticing the emergence and resurgence of players who are on board.

The Observer

not this shit again. we were having this discussion a few years ago and now we are going in circles. people act like we have not won tons of trophies in the last 5 years without a number 9. here's a great saying for you all: IF IT ISN'T BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT!

But it is broken. Messi is easily neutralized in the middle by the bigger teams which is why Tata doesn't even use him there anymore againt packed defenses. Even last season our only convincing CL win had Villa starting as a CF (vs. AC Milan 4-0).

I think someone like Lewandowski would add a lot more than Sanchez. I know that Alexis is in the form of his life this season infront of goal but his overall game is still lacking to me. Way too many wayward passes and poor decision making (blocking that great Messi throughball last game - he does that plenty of times because he lacks awareness of his surroundings). Lewandowski would bring everything that a confident Alexis brings (goals) and even more: aerial threat, holdup play, even defensive help at set pieces.

I agree with footyfan's lineup. Messi has to play with a striker partner or he'll see himself crowded out by 4 defenders against good teams.

Also a CF would fit Tata's more vertical style a lot more than it did when Pep was coach (which is probably why Pep doesn't even want Lewa at Bayern according to rumours).

Home of Barca Fans