What is the Reason for Messi's Recent Drop in Form?

What is the Reason for Messi's Recent Drop in Form?

• Total voters

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Recurring injuries, plus something mental, but can't put my finger on it.

What I have been wondering is, is he an early peaker?

Pepe Silvia

I don't think so man. He does look very very slow in recent games (especially today.) That probably has to do with his injuries but who knows, maybe he just isn't fast anymore? Haven't seen him with pace since forever but then again his injuries have been going for some time now too. Don't know.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I think he is still capable of being quite fast (but not as fast and explosive as he was younger), perhaps out of caution/nurturing his injury, he chose not to be go too fast.

CevinK

I haven´t been around for long time.. Everybody already wanting to sell Messi and hailing Sanchez and Neymar? :D

suckabov

Lemon curry?
What period of time are we talking about? Because he's been great this season, just had his quiet games here and there (like yesterday).

Gohan

Super Saiyan
He does it on purpose, why? I do not know but you can easily see he is hardly making any runs we he has the ball he dribbled less often. Making those explosive runs less. But in the end of the game againt Esspanyol you saw that urge of him wanting to score he started dribbling and making those explosive runs.

I have 2 theories:
1. He wants to protect himself of injuries because he got really scared of the same reoccuring injury. And he wants to play the worldcup.

2. Tata instructed him to be less involved in our gameplay, but he still puts Messi in the starting XI because he always needs more than 1 defendero on his back which creates space for our other attackers.

Sent from my LG-P760 using Tapatalk

Alik

He is over thinking it. He is desperate for the goal. Once he scores, he'll be back.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Well, he's human for one.

And 2, I think he's going to be one of those top players that burns out by 30.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Injuries mostly.

But I have to say I dislike it very much when I see Messi picking up a on our own half, when not in a counter attack. Messi should be 10-15 meters off of the striker position, not 40. Makes it too easy for opponents to pack the midfield and forcing him wide, which makes him less able to penetrate the opponent's defence. He should play as a false 9, not as a CM. Xavi nor Iniesta (although more than Xavi) are players that penetrate into the box when Messi leaves, that is for Neymar, Alexis, Pedro, Tello and David Villa when we was still here. The wingers atm stay out wide too much, with Messi right in the middle of the field.

He should play more towards the box, together with Iniesta, Neymar and Alexis. Xavi and Busquets must be the ones distributing the ball from midfield. I would also like to see more vertical runs by the wingers and changes of position. It's still way too static, making it more predictable and easy to defend. Unpredictability was a key quality during Pep's time here, and that has slowly but completely vanished during the last 1,5-2 years. If Tata really wants to make an impact here, he should let us play less predictable, more forcing in the areas of pressing and passing and also don't make Messi run towards goal all from the halfway line.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Pretty obvious, he cares mostly about Argentina and his World Cup chances now. Doesn't want to push it, to get injured again and hamper his chances of making the world cup/being in a good condition to compete. Certainly the impression that I got when he was not injured as well.

I just wonder how he will bounce back if Argentina do flop in the World Cup (or) lose in a heart-breaking fashion.

Tata and Tito's tactics have hurt him too, in terms of how he plays on the pitch. He's still getting goals but...

The third possibility is that his injuries are a lot worse (maybe a serious, recurring type) than what the Barca doctors are letting on, which could explain why him walking around for 90% of the game (even if the ball is 5 yards away from him) is excused so easily and not worked on.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Pretty obvious, he cares mostly about Argentina and his World Cup chances now. Doesn't want to push it, to get injured again and hamper his chances of making the world cup/being in a good condition to compete. Certainly the impression that I got when he was not injured as well.

I just wonder how he will bounce back if Argentina do flop in the World Cup (or) lose in a heart-breaking fashion.

Tata and Tito's tactics have hurt him too, in terms of how he plays on the pitch. He's still getting goals but...

The third possibility is that his injuries are a lot worse (maybe a serious, recurring type) than what the Barca doctors are letting on, which could explain why him walking around for 90% of the game (even if the ball is 5 yards away from him) is excused so easily and not worked on.

God, I pray that the third possibility is not true!

With regard to your first explanation, if it has any truth to it, how do you explain his performance against Celta Vigo, especially in the second half? He gave his 120% there. One "on" game, one "off" game to pace himself for the WC? I find it hard to believe. Of course I can understand that he might be a little more cautious these days to avoid getting injured again, but to me it doesn't explain the drastic drop in the level of involvement in just a couple of days. It felt like night and day.

footyfan

Calma, calma
God, I pray that the third possibility is not true!

With regard to your first explanation, if it has any truth to it, how do you explain his performance against Celta Vigo, especially in the second half? He gave his 120% there. One "on" game, one "off" game to pace himself for the WC? I find it hard to believe. Of course I can understand that he might be a little more cautious these days to avoid getting injured again, but to me it doesn't explain the drastic drop in the level of involvement in just a couple of days. It felt like night and day.

Celta and Espanyol are two totally different games. Espanyol put 11 men behind the ball while Celta left more space at the back than any team I've seen in the last 2 years.

Despite that, Messi played the exact same way in both games...when there was space he attacked it, if there wasn't he was very passive. He was walking around even in the Celta game, but since he did make dribbles due to the space available, you are forgetting it.

Compare Messi now to Messi in Guardiola's last year, or 10/11 or 09/10. He is so different, can't be because he just had a bad day yesterday.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Compare Messi now to Messi in Guardiola's last year, or 10/11 or 09/10. He is so different, can't be because he just had a bad day yesterday.

Again, why do you think that is? He already peaked or something else? Physical and tactical constraints?

Home of Barca Fans