Attack comparison this season and last season; Here's what the stats say:

big_man

15gb9kl.png

Like the defence thread, except this looks at the attack.

The figures will become more significant as the number of games increases of course.

Blue is better, red is worse.

Games so far - 15

Last entry- Espanyol(Home)

Next entry- Real Betis(Away)

Right, so some observations, some of the things we knew already, but the statistics bring it out quite clearly.

- Counter is in full effect this season, at a rate over double of last season.

- We have created more shooting opportunities this season.

- Created a ton more from open play this season.

-We created a lot from set pieces last season in comparison to this season.

-A lot of shots were taken from outside the 18 yard box last season in comparison to this season.

-A lot more shots are taken within the 6 yard box this season in comparison to last (indication that our low drives from wide positions connect more with players? more accurate corners?)

Last edited:

Mitchell1978

Looking at the most important statistic, goals, here's what the numbers say after 17 games this season: 41 (2,41 goals-per-game) vs 12-13, 50 goals after 17 games (2,94).

You can try and manipulate figures all you want but the facts are we are not scoring like we were last year. Improved defensive stability has come at a cost.

Last edited:

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Why include the Milan game but not Ajax and Celtic? Keep up the good work, this will hopefully bring some more insight into Tata's Barca.

Alik

Looking at the most important statistic, goals, here's what the numbers say after 17 games this season: 41 (2,41 goals-per-game) vs 12-13, 50 goals after 17 games (2,94).

You can try and manipulate figures all you want but the facts are we are not scoring like we were last year. Improved defensive stability has come at a cost.

Well, last year we won by outscoring opponents.

The improved defense will come in good stead in the later stages of the champions league.

big_man

What the heck are you on about now?
We have scored more goals against the same opponents we played last season, that is the most important statistic. Why the hell do you keep bringing other games in? I clearly stated this reasoning at the start of this thread.

How in gods name am I trying to "twist the stats"? :facepalm:, you're the one doing a baffling comparison of the goals scored without taking into context the teams. Do you even know how statistics work? the more variables you take away the more accurate it becomes. Your retarded season long comparison is pointless because:

You're not doing the comparison with the same teams (like I did here)

If you don't have any meaningful (yes, because your "point" is completely useless) contribution stay the fuck away from this thread and go and write about your stupid rambling agenda somewhere else.

Last edited:

big_man

Why include the Milan game but not Ajax and Celtic? Keep up the good work, this will hopefully bring some more insight into Tata's Barca.

Cheers mate. Celtic is included, Ajax isn't.
I didn't include Ajax because I'm doing a comparison against the teams we played last season. Those 15 teams I listed are the teams we also played against last season (so far) and it's the best basis for comparison. Ajax wan't included because we never played Ajax last season.

Mitchell1978

What the heck are you on about now?
We have scored more goals against the same opponents we played last season, that is the most important statistic. Why the hell do you keep bringing other games in? I clearly stated this reasoning at the start of this thread.

How in gods name am I trying to "twist the stats"? :facepalm:, you're the one doing a baffling comparison of the goals scored in a third of this season to a full season stat from last season, what a stupid comparison. Do you even know how statistics work? the more variables you take away the more accurate it becomes. Your retarded season long comparison is pointless because:

1 Sample size of games is not the same, 17 vs 50+ games.
2 You're not doing the comparison with the same teams (like I did here)

If you don't have any meaningful (yes, because your "point" is completely useless) contribution stay the fuck away from this thread and go and write about your stupid rambling agenda somewhere else.

Settle down mate. To me its rather meaningless comparing like you do, for example we beat Levante 1-0 last season and 7-0 this season, such a thing really doesn't say much, to me its cherrypicking stats but to each his own off course

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Are you sure we know how to play counter? ;) I just felt we are too slow, and the few occasions where we played counter we ended up thwarting the counter ourselves by slowing down near our opponent's penalty box and started passing the ball around, giving the opposing players time to get back to their positions and hence defeating the purpose of a counter.

footyfan

Calma, calma
1 Sample size of games is not the same, 17 vs 50+ games.

What? Hasn't he posted the stats after first 17 games for both seasons???

Do you also have similar stats for 11/12 season? That would be a really enlightening comparison.

big_man

What? Hasn't he posted the stats after first 17 games for both seasons???

Yes he did, just checked again. My bad, doesn't detract from my main point; the 17 games weren't against the same teams, which was the whole premise of my thread.

big_man

Settle down mate. To me its rather meaningless comparing like you do, for example we beat Levante 1-0 last season and 7-0 this season, such a thing really doesn't say much, to me its cherrypicking stats but to each his own off course

Of course its not meaningless. We are comparing against the same teams we played last season for god sakes. Cherry picking? christ. I didn't include Ajax and Almeria because we never played them last season. What part of that don't you get?

Last edited:

footyfan

Calma, calma
True, but some comparisons on your list should be looked at carefully too. Milan in a group stage game is very different to Milan in a knockout stage.

Also, you are comparing Atletico home and away in the Supercup this year to Atletico home and away in the Liga last season (one of which was a total dead rubber). Different competition, different results required.

On the other hand, I'm assuming you are comparing Madrid home in Liga this season to Madrid home in Liga last season. How would the stats change if say, we compared instead to Madrid in Copa last season, when were a lot worse? Or to Madrid in Supercopa last season, when we were a lot better?

+again, do you have stats for 11/12 season?

big_man

True, but some comparisons on your list should be looked at carefully too. Milan in a group stage game is very different to Milan in a knockout stage.

Also, you are comparing Atletico home and away in the Supercup this year to Atletico home and away in the Liga last season (one of which was a total dead rubber). Different competition, different results required.

On the other hand, I'm assuming you are comparing Madrid home in Liga this season to Madrid home in Liga last season. How would the stats change if say, we compared instead to Madrid in Copa last season, when were a lot worse? Or to Madrid in Supercopa last season, when we were a lot better?

+again, do you have stats for 11/12 season?

Check the defence version of this thread mate. I explained there that when we play the league games against Atletico I'll replace the Supercup stats for that. Atletico are too strong a team to exclude off the data that's why I decided to include them despite it being in the Supercup.
I just thought it was a good idea to supplement the games we watch with actual detailed game by game statistics.

footyfan

Calma, calma
The two threads are fantastic, keep it up. You're making as realistic a comparison as is possible, so kudos to that.

Home of Barca Fans