George Weah

slicknick

Amazed to see that no thread has been made on him previously.Born on Octber 1st,1966,Weah was a true African legend,not to mention the winner of Ballon D'Or and the FIFA World Footballer of the Year.

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/players/player=2187/

It seems the years after his retirement haven't serves him that well,seems to have gained some weight lately

Last edited:

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
I have to be completely honest here and admit that I know he won the Ballon d'Or in 1995, but haven't really seen him play in his prime. But looking at his career statistics, prizes won etc, how could he have won the Ballon d'Or? He just seems one of the odd ones out to have won the Ballon d'Or. Am I so poorly informed about him?

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Won the Ballon d'Or, FIFA World player of the year and the African Player of the Year in '95. One of the players that made me fall in love with football, and for a long time was my all time favourite player(not saying he's the best of all time, just my personal favourite), and to this day is still in my top 5. He doesn't have the goal record some of the all time great strikers do and didn't win as many trophies as you'd think for somebody rated so highly, but that doesn't change the fact that he was a monstrous player, unbelievably skilled, a great dribbler. He's one of those players that just made football look so easy at times. Some of his finishes are very Romario like, just passed into the net. The way he kicked some of his goals was brilliant, he didn't always need to tee himself up by having the ball a certain distance in front of him and then go for the kick like a lot of players need to do when shooting, he'd look like he's just running and then all of the sudden the ball's in the net. He had great feet and balance, being able to kick goals with the ball almost right under him isn't something most players can do, especially with pressure from defenders too.

Beast

The Observer
Not only he was one of the best strikers in the world... completely gifted , excellent dribbler , header and shooting with both feet he was above all a great man

Weah was spending all his money on the Liberia national team , literally spending all his money on them.. from buying them kits to represent his country (which was caught in civil war ) to paying tickets , winning bonus, coaching the team .. i remember in one very important world cup qualifier they had this tough game against Egypt and he played "Himself " as a LB because Liberia LB was injured and they needed a strong one there.. not only he did great they actually won over the much favorite Egyptian team

You can't get a better man than this , forget all the media charity work all the stars do now.. this was a man who did that when the media didn't bother about such actions and didn't bother a bit about a poor country like Liberia because 80 % of the world doesn't actually know where Liberia is and even if they did without Oil they wouldn't bother..
If there was a trophy that he should have won more than the Ballon D'or it should have been Noble peace prize

I have high regards to Weah the man even more than Weah the footballer.. his Ballon D'or trophy was completely justified

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Liberia got pretty close to making the 2002 World Cup as well, I think it went down to their last game or something? I can't remember exactly. I wish I could have seen Weah at a World Cup! But hey, he played for both of my favourite teams, better than nothing. :D Everything that he won was completely justified. The fact he won the Ballon D'or when he played for PSG who won the French Cup double and no league shows how good a player he was. Almost every winner is a guy who won the league, or the Champions League or did well at a World Cup. He did get Champions League top scorer though, with 8 goals in 11 games or something. 35 goals in 63 matches in European competition is pretty damn good!

Home of Barca Fans