Should Fabregas start in matches against parked buses ahead of Xavi or Iniesta?

Should Fabregas start in matches against parked buses ahead of Xavi or Iniesta?

• Yes

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 19 33.3%

• Total voters

Paganinisrvnge

Xavi and Iniesta are absolute legends but Xavi has declined over the past 2 seasons and Iniesta isn't having his best season so far. Last night against Milan it looked like nothing had changed from the Tito days when they would just pass it around 10 yards away from the opponent penalty box for 60% of the match.

I feel like with a fit Messi and the addition of Neymar; Cesc can play a key role in leading counter-attacks. I know that Cesc is not the fastest player but he is a lot more direct than Xavi or Iniesta. I've seen them both(especially Xavi) have an amazing chance to counter and instead they stop the ball and slow the play down.

Possession football should still be the main focus but Cesc can combine with Neymar, Messi, and Alexis to create some deadly counters. Maybe we can use him early in matches to get a lead then bring on Xavi.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, yes and yes.
Cesc plays more direct, makes more runs in the box, is decent with headers and has a better shot than Xavi and Iniesta.
Not to mention the fact he's younger, more fit and quicker to help out at the back at those counters.

JamDav1982

I would start him ahead of either of them as he has been in better form and is more likely to get the best put of Neymar and Sanchez. While Messi loves playing with him.

Absolute legends that Iniesta and Xavi are they need to adapt to the changes in the team like everyone else. Far too often when there is an opportunity to break those two go looking for the ball to feet rather than running into space.

When a break situation is on Neymar and Sanchez run away from the ball into space but rarely ever get it, but then get it when the whole opposition is back defending and there is no one ahead of them to make space.

I think it wont be long before Neymar starts doing his nut and rightfully so. He is being hindered big style by the midfield.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
glad to see the forum came to thier senses. though i think xavi or iniesta in from are better than cesc

numero

Yes for Xavi but no if it is Iniesta. As long as it is Xavi, I am okay cause he will be playing in midfield where he has been playing pretty good lately. But if Tata Martino decides to play him false 9 that would be a straight no. He is not made for false 9. He is slow and his turnings are pretty bad.Plus most of the times I have seen him receiving the ball with his back at goal and not front.

P

PhilS

Just continue the rotation. It doesn't make that much difference which two you start, just keep all three fresh all year.

The Observer

I think there is a big misconception here. According to my understanding of football, the best way to counter "parked busses" is definitely not to utilize a player with even more ambitious passing and poorer awareness and technique in tight spaces. All that will lead to is lots of counterattacking possibilites for the opponent. What do you think Fabregas is going to achieve against 2 lines of 4 with tucked in wingers when there is no space? Let's take Messi as a reference. He is a better creator than Fabregas and plays further up the pitch. So how many chances did he create against Milan? I recall 1. The pass to Adriano. That's about it. So what do you expect from Fabregas then who is a) a poorer creator than Messi and b) plays in midfield and has to hold back the Hollywood passes more than Messi? Goalscoring chances galore? I really don't think so.

The "declined" Xavi actually created the most clear cut chances against Milan (1 on 1 Sanchez and 1 on 1 Iniesta) and then it was Iniesta in the next game who created the most chances against Madrid (Neymar's goal, Messi's 1 on 1)? So I'm kinda lost here with the criticism to be frank. The best way to break low blocks is to play intelligently, not to force the play with Hollywood passes. Cesc's directness is much more useful in open games, not in tight ones. This has been validated by 4 different coaches now who haven't used Fabregas in midfield in these kind of games: Guardiola, del Bosque, Tito and Tata. They can't be all wrong.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Good post, this is what I think too. The way to counter parked buses is to play deeper and draw the opposition out, not give the ball away through cheap touches or misplaced passes.

When the opposition are really searching for a goal though, pushing their team up a lot, I would play Cesc over both Xavi and Iniesta.

Home of Barca Fans