Courtois or Ter Stegen?

Courtois or Ter Stegen?

• Total voters

Gilberto

I would happily pay 40M for Courtois. All day, any day.

This. It is crazy to think he is still only 21 when you consider that keepers become better when they get older and that they're at their best in their early 30's. I think the only keeper that really is better than him is Neuer and Courtois is on the level of the current Buffon or Cech in my opinion.

Adrian

Seems very likely Ter Stegen is joining... Although I prefer Courtois this is still a great signing.

Alarcón

This. It is crazy to think he is still only 21 when you consider that keepers become better when they get older and that they're at their best in their early 30's.

Not every keeper does. Some are decent at a young age and become a lot better afterwards, others reach a very high level early in their career and only improve a little after that. A big part of a goalkeeper's abilities are things that are consistens throughout a GK's career and you can't really improve that much anyway - like reaction or anticipation. If Courtois improved as much as other goalkeepers do from now on, he will become better than Lev Yashin and we know that's not gonna happen.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Seems very likely Ter Stegen is joining... Although I prefer Courtois this is still a great signing.

And for me, the opposite...Ter Stegen, IMO, ticks all the boxes you'd hope for in a Barcelona keeper - perhaps being a bit taller would make it perfect...Very happy the German is coming although it'd be ideal for Victor to continue

There will be a learning curve but seems the sort of character that will not have difficulties adjusting to either the league, a new language or a dressing room like ours...If Reina is signed as well, would make an ideal partnership and tutor to ease that transition, as well...Plus, let's face it, the transfer fee savings alone make it a great deal for Barcelona

My hope was that the next keeper of Barcelona would have a big personality, someone to be a commander in the back with intensity...I think Mats can be that, we'll see

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Not every keeper does. Some are decent at a young age and become a lot better afterwards, others reach a very high level early in their career and only improve a little after that. A big part of a goalkeeper's abilities are things that are consistens throughout a GK's career and you can't really improve that much anyway - like reaction or anticipation. If Courtois improved as much as other goalkeepers do from now on, he will become better than Lev Yashin and we know that's not gonna happen.

Because? I don't see any reason why not.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Definitely Ter Stegen. He might give other teams a chance to actually beat you guys if they pass the ball to him.

L

linetty

Easier to misjudge the flight of a ball than to let it roll in, more than once. :)

You can see the ball bouncing and the pass was pretty powerful. Maybe I'm not being 100% objective here but it was an error from the field player(very difficult pass to control, considering that the goalkeeper doesn't have THAT good technique)

Meitux

Hah, that own goal is almost identical to the one against USA. But yeah i see the ball bouncing a bit and then he also had his wrong calculating. But again i don't find this as a reason for a complete overreaction.. It happens.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Yeah shit happens, he's young and since it's happened twice he'll rid himself of mistakes like that. Still, it's funny to take the piss out of a bit though. :p

Janxy

You can see the ball bouncing and the pass was pretty powerful. Maybe I'm not being 100% objective here but it was an error from the field player(very difficult pass to control, considering that the goalkeeper doesn't have THAT good technique)
There was a opposing player in between who could intercept if the pass would be slower. The two most important things when passing to your keeper are that the pass isn't intercepted and that the ball doesn't go into the goal IF the keeper doesn't touch it(and the ball wouldn't gone in - in this situation). Then it's the goalkeeper's choice whether he controls the ball OR lets the ball go out of field OR kicks it as far as he can(most safe option unless you are playing against Sevilla in Europa League round of 32 :lol:)
It was his mistake but I agree he was very unlucky because of the state of the field.

Home of Barca Fans