Mehdi Benatia

I wouldn't mind Real buying Benatia if it means that Varane ends up defecting to us.

Highly unlikely, for sure, but Varane seems to be unsettled already even though he has a fighting chance of displacing Pepe in the XI lineup. Add Benatia to the fold and he's guaranteed to be a 3rd choice CB at best for the foreseeable future.

So if Real buy Benatia, one of Pepe or Varane will have to leave and while ideally that would be Pepe (from Real's perspective); but if Varane decides he wants XI football elsewhere, he should be our top CB target IMO.

shogunruax

this is what I would think if I was zubi

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

B

beautifulgame

I wouldn't mind Real buying Benatia if it means that Varane ends up defecting to us.

Highly unlikely, for sure, but Varane seems to be unsettled already even though he has a fighting chance of displacing Pepe in the XI lineup. Add Benatia to the fold and he's guaranteed to be a 3rd choice CB at best for the foreseeable future.

So if Real buy Benatia, one of Pepe or Varane will have to leave and while ideally that would be Pepe (from Real's perspective); but if Varane decides he wants XI football elsewhere, he should be our top CB target IMO.

Ain't no way real is selling anyone to is much less a huge talent so all that would happen is real would get that much stronger

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

Are you serious? Varane is never gonna end up in Barcelona. A Real Madrid player is never gonna end up in Barcelona now and the same vice versa. Only way would be to run out the contract and then move to the opposite team, but that won't happen.

B

beautifulgame

Are you serious? Varane is never gonna end up in Barcelona. A Real Madrid player is never gonna end up in Barcelona now and the same vice versa. Only way would be to run out the contract and then move to the opposite team, but that won't happen.

^^^^

A Real Madrid player is never gonna end up in Barcelona now and the same vice versa.
I presume you've never heard of Luis Enrique (& he's not the only one, btw).

I'm fully aware that such transfer would be highly unlikely, and I did say so myself in my original post.

But the fact remains that IF Real buy Benatia, Varane will have no choice but to move to another club if he wants to be a starter. In this scenario, only Barca & Bayern would be considered a lateral move, and at Barca he is certain to be a guaranteed starter. So if he's available and willing to come to us – I say why not?

Cule4life

The Culest
I presume you've never heard of Luis Enrique (& he's not the only one, btw).

I'm fully aware that such transfer would be highly unlikely, and I did say so myself in my original post.

But the fact remains that IF Real buy Benatia, Varane will have no choice but to move to another club if he wants to be a starter. In this scenario, only Barca & Bayern would be considered a lateral move, and at Barca he is certain to be a guaranteed starter. So if he's available and willing to come to us – I say why not?

Do you even Barca? After Figo-gate there wont be any transfer between Barca and Madrid not even someone like Nacho or Song. Only way Varane or any Real player will come to Barca is if he moves to another club and then Barca buys him from that club (or if the contract runs out which will never happen)

Tomchin

Nothing special. Made a few good passes but it's not like ''woah what a build-up monster'' but he is solid.
Hehe, I'm trying to find a reason why we're not signing him. Then again, his (lack of) build-up play can't be the reason why we're not signing him, 'cause Puyol was piss-poor in that department too.

Sole reason I can think of is either the high transfer-fee or his high salary-demands.

Do you even Barca? After Figo-gate there wont be any transfer between Barca and Madrid not even someone like Nacho or Song. Only way Varane or any Real player will come to Barca is if he moves to another club and then Barca buys him from that club (or if the contract runs out which will never happen)
Eto'o was co-owned by Real when we signed him.

The controversy that surrounded Figo's transfer had less to do with the fact the he switched sides (other playres had done the same thing before him) and more to do with the fact that he left a struggling Barca (where he was the captain) to join the galacticos project at Real; that was perceived as betrayal, and that's why he's hated by many Barca fans (unlike say Laudrup who did the same thing). Besides, there's a big difference between club legends like Xavi & Casillas and promising talents like Varane & Eto'o (back then).

A Varane transfer – assuming that Benatia goes to Real – would thus be more similar to the Eto'o transfer, who probably would've returned to Real if he didn't have Raul & Ronaldo to contend with. But even then, for the deal to go through Varane will have to force Real to deal with us instead of another club. So yes, highly unlikely as I've said – but not as farfetched as some other members on this forum make it seem like.

Home of Barca Fans