Would you prefer to see Barca play.....

Which one is you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LaPulga

Obiously somewhere in the middle, but 'at any cost' I envision as Pepe tactics & Mou cowardness. So, hell no... Let's lose with joga bonito then...

XaviMessiGirl

Can I ask for clarification? When you say "beautiful football" do you mean tiki-taka, or any fairly attractive style?

I definitely don't want Barca to become a team who for example, resorts to making dirty tackles or having to put ten men in front of the goal in order to win. I'd rather go years without a trophy than see that. So "win at all costs" mentality = big no from me.

But in terms of tiki-taka, I feel there will eventually become a time where we'll have to evolve somewhat, because football evolves. In fact, I'd say it's already happening. If we have to deviate a little from it to remain effective, I don't necessarily have a problem with it.

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
Bro I just don't think its that black and white. I would pick both. I would rather barcelona to play beautiful football, even if we lose but are not resorting to cowardly tactics, or going off on something ridiculous like sitting back and hoofing the ball or something like that, yet I'm not in opposition to breaking the structure for the sake of variation even if it means abandoning the beauty of our style. You know I don't like it either, sometimes it looks disorderly and just feels wrong, watching this new direct approach. But it can be polished and made to fit- it doesn't have to be directness in opposition to our tiki taka, but merely a new avenue we can resort to at times.

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
Funny all three of us said something along the same line. I promise I hadn't read any of the previous post. Cool beans.

Ghost

Obiously somewhere in the middle, but 'at any cost' I envision as Pepe tactics & Mou cowardness. So, hell no... Let's lose with joga bonito then...
Agree.

If the only way to win the CL is dirty tactics and parking the bus, then I'd rather we play beautiful football and just reach the Semi's each year instead.

Maria

I don't think everything has to be black or white in this case..I prefer to see Barca play good football(I don't even say beautiful) because I want to enjoy it and I also know that when you play good and you have a player like Messi, the chances of winning trophies are pretty big. Of course you could also win a CL like Chelsea, but I've never seen Barca doing it.

Maria

I recently found an old article written by Pep where he talks aboout this, though it's in spanish:

"¿Por qué viniste, Arrigo?

Hace dos días compré La Gazzetta dello Sport. En portada, dos entrevistas. En una, el ultimo técnico campeón: Enzo Bearzot. En la otra, el último técnico finalista: Arrigo Sacchi. El campeón decía: "Giocare bene conta poco". El finalista decía: "Giocare bene è la medicina". La misma historia. El mismo debate. Aquí y en todas partes del mundo. ¿Por qué narices tuvo que aparecer Sacchi en un sitio donde nadie le había citado? ¿No habían ganado sin él tres Mundiales? ¿No eran felices sin debate? Con esa cultura cattenaccistica, ¿por qué vino un contracultural a romper esa cultura?

Tuve la suerte de ser entrenado por Fabio Capello. Un día nos dijo que en un mundo donde nadie se atreve a tomar decisiones él las toma.Y que eso era lo que mejor sabía hacer. Y las tomaba en función de lo que sentía. De cómo entendía su fútbol. Recuerdo mis primeros días de vida con él. Los equipos italianos, en Europa esos años, no ganaban nada. Eran los españoles (Real Madrid) los que se llevaba la orejuda. Y varias veces. Pues en mis primeros días oía que el entrenador italiano repetía una y otra vez que o se dejaba de lanzar pelotazos y se empezaba a jugar como lo hacían los españoles o nunca más el país de la pizza y hoy de Moggi volvería a ganar nada. Fue en las primeras semanas. Y en las siguientes. Pero no más. ¿Hasta cuándo duró el mensaje? Hasta las primeras derrotas. El lugar donde se ponen a prueba las convicciones. No hay otro. En ese momento, Fabio Capello empezó a tomar decisiones (lo hace como nadie) y a tomarlas como él las siente. Como él siente el fútbol. A la manera que le ha convertido en el entrenador que más ha ganado en Italia. El entrenador vincente. A la italiana.A la que todos conocemos. A la de los tres Mundiales. Carletto Mazzone, mi entrenador en Brescia y mi padre italiano, un día hablando sobre el fútbol español y el italiano, hablando de miserias y maravillas de uno y otro, de repente me suelta: "Ao, Pepe, a ver si nos entendemos: ¿cuántos Mundiales tiene España? Nosotros, tres. Y vosotros? Ante tal irrefutable argumento numérico, me levanté, le abracé, le felicité y me fui a hacer no sé qué. ¿Qué quería? Ingenuo de mí. ¿Convencerle para que jugara como a mí me gusta? Ao, Pepe, dejemos que los italianos jueguen a la italiana.

Han ganado todo de esta manera. Con el "palla lunga e pedalare" (pelotazo y a correr). Así de tranquilos vivían y ganaban y ganaban y ganaban hasta que llegó Sacchi y... empezaron a discutir.

Ayer volvieron a ganar. Y ya están en cuartos. Se juntaron en su área con maravillosos defensores. Lo hicieron cuando estaban todos. Lo hicieron más cuando no estuvieron todos. Esperaron que alguien les atacara. Y Australia, un poco, lo hizo. Hasta que, llegado el momento, su jugador franquicia, ayer fue Totti (grabar vídeo para enseñar cómo se lanza un penalti con presión), ordenara el contraataque y, obedientes y ordenados, siguiendo las instrucciones, golpearon donde más duele. Esperando que el señor salga de casa para que el ladrón entre a robar. Hiriendo para acabar matando. Así viven y así ganan. Y no hay discusión. Ya no hay debate.

Hasta que un día pierden. Aunque no lo parezca. Y es allí donde Sacchi vuelve a aparecer. Le dejan. Y empieza el discurso que él siente. Y dice cosas como: "De la posible unión de las virtudes de los españoles y los italianos saldría la selección invencible". Y se lo consienten. No por generosidad. No por amistad. Solo porque Sacchi, un día, también ganó. ¡Y cómo! ¡Uf!"

So maybe we wouldn't even be having this debate if we wouldn't have seen Barcelona playing beautiful football and winning..maybe then we would just want to win. But after we've enjoyed so much with Barca in the last 10 years, for some it's more difficult to accept not that you can also lose(because this is football after all), but that you can also see Barca playing badly and winning.

Ursegor

World Champion
Like every normal Barcelona supporter I hope we pack 10 man in our own box and hoof it to Messi.

Next question.

Meitux

Whatever is best for the team, obviously you need refreshment and new ideas as the time comes, you can't continue always with the same tactics because they were succeful in the past, it's not a guarantee whether they will be in the future. I would want things to change as long as it's the best for the club. Beautiful football is on the fan's view and you want to enjoy your team's football but personally i want my team to be succeful too and whenever something isn't succesfull it can't be fully beatiful. If it is beautiful and there isn't any puprose at the end then what's the point? For me it's whatever is best for the team and certainly not what i would want to enjoy them play. Words like someone used ''parked bus'' and ''Mou tacticts'' are hyperboles, it depends on what coach you have and whatever they want from their team and obviously you can't get something with playing a parked bus all season long. New ideas and tactics but i wouldn't want hyperbolic things like playing dirty as already mentioned by others above, play good football but get a result and something good out of it.

Last edited:

Gooch

Beautiful football, for sure, man. That's the only reason I support them. Why else would I?!

But given the nature of football, if you lose too much, you'll be out of a job, kicked off the stage, and you won't have the chance to play and show beautiful football. So you have to sacrifice some beautiful football sometimes, just to survive and stay on the stage.

What is beautiful football? Everyone has his own tastes, but for me, it's putting eleven Juan Carlos Valerons on the field at once, dribbling and passing to our heart's delight.

F

Flavia

Neither of the options. I always want Barça to win, but not at any cost. I never want to see Barça resorting to dirty tactics or to a high defensive system. I wouldn't be proud to see them winning a cl in a chelsea-like manner.
But then again, it also depends on the game. Against rm, except for dirty tactics, I don't mind the team not giving a show, as long as it's a win.

A

Athletic

Beautiful football and winning or I won't watch tbh. 1st part is missing nowadays, so meh

Home of Barca Fans