Agreement between FC Barcelona and Qatar Airways

F

Flavia

Rosell: “We are united by research and excellence”

www.fcbarcelona.cat
08/27/2013 13:34

On Tuesday in the Auditorium 1899, FC Barcelona and Qatar Airways presented the agreement that will bind them until June 30, 2016

“Thanks to the agreement with Qatar Airways we can reach our 300 million fans around the world”, said Rosell

Akbar Al-Baker, executive director of Qatar Airways added that “Barça is one of the best institutions on the planet. We’ll be showing its image at the main airports around the world.”

2013-08-27_ACUERDO_QATAR_19.v1377606579.JPG

The Auditorium 1899 was the venue on Tuesday for the official presentation of the agreement between FC Barcelona and Qatar Airways, which since July 1 has been the club’s official global partner. The agreement will be in force until June 30, 2016, when the contract signed in 2010 with Qatar Sports Investment comes to an end. “We are united by research and excellence. Qatar Airways, through all of its services, and us, in terms of sport”, stated Sandro Rosell.

The Barça president highlighted that other than economic benefits, this is also a new way of reaching the club’s worldwide fan base. “We have 300 million fans around the world and thanks to Qatar Airways we can build connections with them. Also, Qatar Airways’ relation with Barcelona Airport is getting more important every day. Thanks to them, thousands of international supporters will be coming in the future to Barcelona to discover its sights, but also to enjoy the experience of visiting our club”.

Faus: “The agreement opens new markets”

Barcelona Airport was, according to Javier Faus, the vice-president for economy and strategy, one of the key factors for accepting the change of name on the shirt, when it was proposed that Qatar Airways should feature instead of Qatar Foundation. “It is the biggest shirt deal ever” he said. “There are payments to come of 30.5, 32 and 33.5 million euros. And there is also a bonus of five million euros if we win the Champions League and we hope we can do just that in the next three years.”
“The agreement opens new markets that we were finding it hard to get to. It offers worldwide coverage that will help our marketing department”, continued Faus, who explained that the main partner deal involves some 50 to 60 different potential assets. “Qatar Foundation did not make use of them all, but Qatar Airways will. Now there’s the façade of the stadium. The Qatar Airways logo will appear on the seats, next to the Nike logo, and there’ll be a space for them in the Museum. All sponsorship deals around the world include things like these”.

Barça coloured planes

Akbar Al-Baker, executive director of Qatar Airways, added that “We share values, ambitions, courage and excellence with FC Barcelona. We also have a lot of social commitments. We will be using this partnership to help us in many areas”. One of these will be the painting of some of the fleet, 777 and 787 models, in the Barça colours. “We’ll be displaying Barça at all the world’s major airports”, said the director of Qatar’s main airline.
Al-Baker was impressed by the 2013 Asian Tour, and had nothing but praise for the club. “It has the biggest fan base in the world and that’s why wanted to associate ourselves with Barça. It is one of the best institutions on the planet”.

Assembly to vote on any extensions

Javier Faus added that the new FC Barcelona statutes that will be presented at the next Assembly state that any renewal of this contract will have to be voted on by the club members. Faus and Rosell also added that the contract might have been signed with Qatar Sports Investment, which own Paris Saint Germain, but this does not imply any kind of special relationship with the French football club. The president also made it clear that “this has been the most democratic agreement we have ever made, and was passed at two assemblies, at the second with 90% of the votes.”
On Tuesday evening at the Camp Nou, just before the first team training session, there will be a photo session involving the Barça players and coaches. Then at 19.00, the Club and Qatar Airways will be offering a reception to guests from the media in the museum.

barca7788

Nepali Cule
can anyone make it clear? we already had the agreement till 2016 right? are we getting any extra money?

Faceless

No more faces at night
can anyone make it clear? we already had the agreement till 2016 right? are we getting any extra money?

I'm not sure whether I'm correct or not because I haven't been really following the club's politics and finances.. but before that the club was with Qatar Foundation. Then a new deal was announced only a few months ago saying that the new sponsor will be Qatar Airways, breaking the club's tradition.

So basically it is a new deal and this will increase profits most likely.

Correct me if I'm wrong... I'm pretty sure I got something wrong.

Edit:I think it's just a presentation regarding about this agreement with Qatar Airways until 2016. Just to officially announce it. Qatar Airways have only been officially global partners with FC Barcelona on the 1st of July.

Last edited:

jamrock

No their is no new money, its the same deal as with Qatar foundation, they are just signing the branding as changed.

King Leo

Banned
This is nothing more than a re-branding deal. Rosell used the brand Qatar Foundation at first to sell it to Barca members and now it was replaced with Qatar airlines on shirts and etc. Ultimately this will lead to the Camp Nou branding with Qatar Airlines.

JamDav1982

This is nothing more than a re-branding deal. Rosell used the brand Qatar Foundation at first to sell it to Barca members and now it was replaced with Qatar airlines on shirts and etc. Ultimately this will lead to the Camp Nou branding with Qatar Airlines.

Not quite the case that it was changed on the whim of Rosell, the members approved the sponsorship deal and that included allowing the shirt sponsor to change after the first two seasons.

oz187

I don't understand this either to be honest. Anybody care to explain?

When Barca first signed the deal it was with Qatar foundation. This deal was passed by the assembly. It did however contain small print that in the middle of the contract the sponsor could be changed and that is what they have done. So it is not a new deal, it is the same deal but the sponsor is switched mid-term from Qatar Foundation to Qatar airways.

What they are also saying is that this is more than just a shirt sponsorship. Qatar Airways branding will appear on the seats. But also this is a partnership and the publicity goes both ways. Barcelona will promote Qatar Airways on the shirt and the stadium, but Qatar Airways will also be promoting the Barca brand. Key point being, Qatar Airways already have marketing infrastructure in various countries that can be used. So the headline sponsorship figure is only part of the benefit.

Kerrybai

I know many oppose the sponsorship bit its crucial to keep up with Madrid, and what a better way to promote our brand than with Barca coloured planes :p

S7_MUFC

one of the best football related ad I've seen....It really puts to shame Rooney's He's a Legend ad..........

Home of Barca Fans