Agreement between FC Barcelona and Qatar Airways

F

Flavia

Why would they drop it?

My guess is the scandals about the world cup there might be annoying people. Thus not being really good to be associated with them. Or it's a populist move to try to get reelected.

footyfan

Calma, calma
I would love to see no sponsors again, or even just going back to UNICEF. Roma and Palermo don't have sponsors this season for example and I envy how great their kits look.

I agree. It's a shame that the current Barca (home) kits have an ugly sponsor design on them as they are the most beautiful kits in a generation (for any team).

CuleLife4Life

This seems like a political move. I bet if they win elections in 2016 after doing this, they'll get new sponsors immediately after. The football world is evolving and money talks. Its nice and almost romantic we had a history of no sponsors on our shirts but without sponsor money, it'd be hard to make splurges like Suarez and Neymar without having to worry about balancing out the books.

Plus with the World Cup scandal going on, its best if we distance ourselves from that particular brand.

Icarium

Lifestealer
If we renegotiate the deal with Nike for an amount which united is getting and maybe name camp nou with some nice company we could maintain 5-6 years of no sponsors at least. We are in a very good financial state after this board came that has to be said. Qatar Airways is not giving much anyway. 25M or something like that. Even 2-3 seasons of no sponsor is very good actually.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

Alarcón

30 million per season is not as much as people think. We've been vastly improving in marketing aspects and the new stadium will give us another big revenue boost. We'd manage but I still don't think it'll happen.

blaugrana1987

Obviously shirt sponsor will stay, but which one will it be we don't know. This is just to bump up the price...Rumors are Barca want 50+ mil per year deal, which is to be expected, Man Utd gets similar from Chevrolet.

raki

I don´t believe that the sponsor free shirt will return. No difference to me. Money is essential to make the a good team. Our opponents are sugar daddy clubs´s or powerhouses like madrid, bayern, etc.

I expect a new deal to be around 55M/year. Barcelona has become one of the biggest sport brands worldwide and that will suffer a blow after messi era. For sure.
If United gets 61M per year from Chevrolet i ask for something near that value. Qatar or other entity.

And also the current Nike deal has to step up to the same figures that United will get from Adidas staring in 2015. 94M a year for 10 years. Nike just "lost" United to Adidas so if they don´t want to lost Barça show us the money. Anything lower than 80M a year is not good.

The works on the stadium are coming up and barça´s debt still is 248M. In the next 5-8 years there´s th chance to make a almost debt free club.
Don´t forget that the biggest teams are getting stronger each year. To see Sandro, Munir as subs against PSG when Madrid has Isco, Hernandez or Varane is not ok.
The level must be the highest.

The last barrier would be the stadium naming. I have no problem with that. Arsenal did it. Bayern also. Dortmund. Are their fans any less proud? Dont think so.
Au contraire. I see a Dortmund game and their passion is bigger. Many go to Camp Nou like the theater. It´s not a "hellish" stadium like i would want it to be.

I would be in favour of a naming stadium deal but i know everyone is against it so the board will never do it.

And don´t forget that the barça sports teams ( handball, basket, hockey,futsal) are not cheap and i´m proud of them. They are in the top 3 in the world. That´s what barça must stand for: worldwide elite and quality. I´m prouder of that than to have a sponsor free shirt. The " més que un club" is just politics. I dont mix politics and football.

Just my 2 cents.

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
The whole club is based around politics and Catalan nationalism. That's just how it is.

Kerrybai

No sponsors on the shirt is great but it's not a smart idea. XMG you mentioned Roma not having a shirt sponsor and I'm sure their shirt looks great, but they also don't challenge in Europe and will continue to do so without more money. Football is all about money now and if we don't maximise our revenue then we will fall behind, especially with a massive stadium renovation to fund.
10%2BMoney%2BLeague.jpg

Going by our 2012-2013 accounts our commercial revenue would shrink by 20% if we just got rid of the shirt sponsor, that's not including the Intel ad Beko deals on the shirts. 30 million might not seem like much but today's transfer prices are insane and so are the wages. United are getting 50 million a year btw, and I think we could ask for that in 2016.

Edit: BTW we currently make more money throuhg tv than the EPL giants despite the fact that the EPL generates much much more money. This is down to negoiating our own tv deals while the EPL has a collective deal. Start in 2016 Spain may adopt a collecvite deal too.
Football-broadcast-graphi-001.jpg

If the deal is anything like England or Germany then we will lose a lot of tv revenue so the shirt sponsor will become more important.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/europe/article4166113.ece

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans