Tata Martino: "We've brought back some concepts"

Hektor

Hi Bojan:

Long time no see. Nice to talk to you again.

I was very happy when we hired el Tata. However, one game does not make a season. Anyone can fail. Bobby Robson, a true gentleman and a fantastic coach, did not really make it here. On the other hand, so far - so good. We'll see at the end of the season.

Hektor

coura

Banned
Hi Bojan:

Long time no see. Nice to talk to you again.

I was very happy when we hired el Tata. However, one game does not make a season. Anyone can fail. Bobby Robson, a true gentleman and a fantastic coach, did not really make it here. On the other hand, so far - so good. We'll see at the end of the season.

Hektor

Robson won 3 trophies in a season playing very good football. I don´t see it as a failure.

jairzinho

I know it's too early, but I'm really impressed with the way Martino has handled things so far, particularly his tactical analysis of the games etc and the concepts he's been incorporating into the team.

"the concepts that we addressed with the players – which aren’t new, they’ve just been archived – were brought back. Our interior-playing midfielders went deep, we switched up direct play with build-up play, these are good signs despite the fact that this just started. One of the aspects we’ve insisted on the most is pressure. I’m very satisfied"

"everyone wants to see Neymar and Messi play together. But that would hurt the player. I want him to adapt to the team quickly, but I don’t want to force anything. We will see his best form in short order. This is how I see it and it’s my decision.”

“I told them [players] that we will not succeed if we aren’t in peak condition. We cannot arrive to the end of the season and only be able to field 11 healthy players” he explained and added “my commitment is to make logical rotations, and these decisions may or may not please everyone.”

“I told them [players] that we will not succeed if we aren’t in peak condition. We cannot arrive to the end of the season and only be able to field 11 healthy players” he explained and added “my commitment is to make logical rotations, and these decisions may or may not please everyone.”

Tata Martino

+10

Hektor

Robson won 3 trophies in a season playing very good football. I don´t see it as a failure.

Hi,

Bobby Robson coached Barcelona in the 1996-1997 season and won Copa del Rey, Suppercup, and the Winners' Cup. He was kicked upstairs, the following year. I do not consider his tennure with the club as a success story. As I stated, anyone can fail, even Bobby Robson. I have nothing but the outmost respect for Sir William Robson.

Hektor

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
As Hektor said. One does not look at things in vacuum. Summer coming into that season Barca assembled, what we then called, a new dream team. Just look at what Barca signed for their attack that summer: brought back the legend - Hristo Stoichkov, best goalscorer of La Liga - Juan Antonio Pizzi, best striker in Brazil - Giovanni, and lastly - Ronaldo.

No point in naming all the signings as I am sure those names wouldn't mean much to newer fans but I remember full well the expectations and, later on, the disappointment in losing La Liga to Capello's Real. Cup Winners Cup was nice, also those Copa matches but make no mistake, those were only consolation prizes.

We had a better squad but Robson was outsmarted by Fabio.

B

beautifulgame

As Hektor said. One does not look at things in vacuum. Summer coming into that season Barca assembled, what we then called, a new dream team. Just look at what Barca signed for their attack that summer: brought back the legend - Hristo Stoichkov, best goalscorer of La Liga - Juan Antonio Pizzi, best striker in Brazil - Giovanni, and lastly - Ronaldo.

No point in naming all the signings as I am sure those names wouldn't mean much to newer fans but I remember full well the expectations and, later on, the disappointment in losing La Liga to Capello's Real. Cup Winners Cup was nice, also those Copa matches but make no mistake, those were only consolation prizes.

We had a better squad but Robson was outsmarted by Fabio.

THIS

Xtroverto

Hi,

Bobby Robson coached Barcelona in the 1996-1997 season and won Copa del Rey, Suppercup, and the Winners' Cup. He was kicked upstairs, the following year. I do not consider his tennure with the club as a success story. As I stated, anyone can fail, even Bobby Robson. I have nothing but the outmost respect for Sir William Robson.

Hektor

He wasn't really kicked, the club wanted to sign Van Gaal after his Champions League win in 1995, Van Gaal refused to leave Ajax while under contract and Barcelona had to wait one season, so they hired Robson as an interim coach, he was never supposed to continue in the first place. later both Núñez and Gaspart have admitted it was unfortunate that the had to let him go. In fact he was given a new position in the club that he agreed to take for one year. had the deal with Van Gaal not existed Robson would have continued as coach for FC Barcelona.

Last edited:

flamenco

Tata's plans didn't work well tonight. He needs to be careful with having Pedro and Alexis together and he needs to give Neymar more play time

Gohan

Super Saiyan
Tata's plans didn't work well tonight. He needs to be careful with having Pedro and Alexis together and he needs to give Neymar more play time

The thing about Pedro is it seemed like he could be a threat to the opposites' defense according to the Levante game and the pre-season. But when Pedro really had to show it he let Tata down.

Home of Barca Fans