Zinedine Zidane

El Gato

Villarato!
Is it random?

Mendy for example has to play given his and Marcelos age (and decline) - he was the obvious choice for LB on the market as well.

He doesn't have to play and it didn't have to be him. We could have kept Reguilon who played very well vs Barcelona and pretty much any other opponent, but Zidane opted to make the transfer before anyone else snatches Mendy and let Reguilon get development he needs elsewhere. + what that says is not that Zidane thinks he's not good enough for RM level, because if that was the case he'd have been sold. Only that we're killing 2 birds with one stone.

I personally never thought Ceballos or Llorente looked in any way special.

Neither have I, but they're not bad players. Just not that their personality as bench players helps the team, or so I would interpret it. Ceballos is also clearly not finished, because he could have been sold with buyback (which might still happen). He's recently been getting back into Arsenal side, so maybe he's on the upswing and we won't need Van de Beek in the end?

- Militao is a non factor (but a good talent)

Don't know what that means. Non-factor towards Zidane record?

- Vinicius and Rodrygo are weird cases as they are pitted against each other, constantly switching whos on top, but when it matters still 2nd choice behind Isco, Bale. Cant be good for their developement

One has a year of experience on the other, while the other is clearly more 'grown-up', this sort of competition is good for both and both provide entirely different qualities. They don't have to be tested out from the get-go. I agree with how they've been rotated this season too.

But doesnt look like he has "Zidanes nod"

Not in terms of being able to help the team in the immediate term. There's surely some adaptation issues, language, culture, all that kind of stuff. Last time he was immersed in an Iberian culture he was shit, but now he has Croats and Kroos to mingle with if he's open to it. The skill is clearly there. If he has the guts to make those backheel layoffs and whack it in top corner like he did a few weeks back, then I don't worry for his ability, only whether he's comfortable with where he is.
And by 'the nod' I mean he wouldn't have been bought if Zidane didn't think his mentality was a wrong one. If the plan was to use Benzema 80% of the time anyway then we could have gone for any other relatively young player. In that respect both president and manager clearly thought he was a good enough player to take a bash at.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

Don't know what that means. Non-factor towards Zidane record?

Non-factor regarding playing time, squad role.

I just dont see anything impressive in his youth recruitement and integration bar Valverde (or his ability to spot "mature" talents as you said). He just has a strong opinion, wrong or right. For all of Madrids youth bravado they have probably integrated as many young players as we did: Fede, Mendy (whos not exactly a talent) vs Frenkie and hopefully Arthur. Vinicius, Rodrygo and Jovic (and Ansu for us) remain to be seen.

Long story short: its not a spectacular strength of Zidane or impressive (just regular progression at a top club, we integrated roughly as many talents in our starting 11 the last year(s)).

El Gato

Villarato!
First Real Madrid manager to keep 2 clean sheets in both Liga meetings against Barcelona since 1975.

The only other managers to have done this since then from either side of the barricade are Pep (09/10 vs Pellegrini) and Jose Lluip Nuñez (86/87 with Gary Lineker).

E: Scratch Cruyff, that was the 1994 calendar year rather than a single season.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

He is great at reading opponents. He was the 1st to expose our weakness in right side after Messi moved as SS in 2016, today in 2nd half he knew our insistence on bringing the ball from the back is our achilis heal once he presses us. 2nd half was great from them. Kudos.

El Gato

Villarato!
^
Great at reading opponents. Shit at employing meritocracy consistently. He read Betis well in that 5 at the back with no RB available is the best possible defensive arrangement. Except if you resort to playing 5-3-2 in the lower block, your 2 need to be counter attacking beasts i.e. Son & Icardi, not the one forward worth a salt we started today.

Whatever his problem with Jović is, it needs to be sorted out, but I doubt it will be. If he OK'd his transfer, it means he saw something in him, just like he saw something in Fede and Mendy. If he sees something in you, he plays you, as long as things are good on the player end. Clearly they are not. And we're paying for it big time with Fraudzema going back to his usual pussy self since December.

I think if you merged the best traits of Solari with the best traits of Zidane, we would win the league with relative ease in the current conditions. Hazard wouldn't have sniffed the pitch in early autumn overweight, Jović would get more than a fair share of starts in appropriate games, Vini, Rodrygo, Mendy and Fede would have all flourished, Bale would be dead and buried.

Instead we have whatever this is. And all because Odegaard's Sociedad killed our momentum :lol:

Last edited:

xXKonan

With the team's offensive issues, I have to assume that maybe the reason why he's gone back to Marcelo over Mendy in hopes he can squeeze a bit more out of the guy to help migrate some of those issues.

Reading the Madrid forums/Reddit has been a trip in that regard at least. Many are just mad that he's going back to old favorites even though they are pretty well on the decline in hopes of trying to rediscover old magic.

fergus90

Legendary player and you have to say he's on course to becoming a legendary manager if he keeps winning trophies at the rate he is.

Daisymorr

Legendary player and you have to say he's on course to becoming a legendary manager if he keeps winning trophies at the rate he is.

His results have been hit and miss besides the CL wins where Ronaldo was unstoppable for a couple seasons. Also a lot of close games that just went their way. Even though he has a great CV now as manager, I think he still a little unproven.

Looking forward to seeing how he compares to Pep tactically in the CL

El Gato

Villarato!
I'm going to feel really really really shit when the generations are so far ahead of his time that his jedi mind tricks will stop working, just because the kids won't have watched him play and idolise him. Got to enjoy it with that generation while it lasts. What a man. Even let Bale sit there and bean count his way to the title without actually making the atmosphere too toxic.

Genius in his own way.

malvolio

Luckiest manager ever for sure. Don't know what you could make of his achievements. At least he seems like a great motivator. Would have to see him in another environment to judge

Morten

He is an interesting manager, he comes up with weird shit like starting 5 midfielders, who are all basically central midfielders, and somehow it works.

JamDav1982

Zidane is not a top tactical coach but he keeps it simple and has a squad of players where work rate is non negotiable and if dont fit with him any one of them can move on.

Barca are the polar opposite.

A team of egos that are difficult to manage and to set up tactically due to their power and age.

Home of Barca Fans