Zinedine Zidane

serghei

for me Alex Ferguson will always be the greatest manager of all time. That being said,i absolutely hate how Zidane bought himself rights to be put into same sentence as Ferguson,i already seen and heard people talking that shit

Except he hasn't. Ferguson won 13 Premier League titles in 20 years.

Stoichkov1

Except he hasn't. Ferguson won 13 Premier League titles in 20 years.

Funny how people slaughter Pep because he didn't win the CL after his Barca tenure but no one questions Ferguson who won the CL twice in more than 20 years. Pep is having a career similar to Ferguson's one, he dominates the league(7 in 9 years) just like Ferguson dominated the PL.

And I'm the first who thinks Ferguson is the GOAT manager, I just hate double standards. I still think that to judge how good a manager is you have to take into consideration mainly how good the team performs in the league, not in CL. That's why I rate managers like Pep or Ferguson so highly and I don't really think managers like Zidane or Ancelotti are that good. I know I sound pathetic but I've never seen a team as lucky as Real Madrid. Neymar injured for the second leg, Dybala sent off in the first leg and couldn't play in the second, Robben injured, Salah injured after 20 mins in a CL final, multiple referee decisions in Real's favour and those inexplicable mistakes by Ulreich and Karius can't be attributed to Zidane.

serghei

Funny how people slaughter Pep because he didn't win the CL after his Barca tenure but no one questions Ferguson who won the CL twice in more than 20 years. Pep is having a career similar to Ferguson's one, he dominates the league(7 in 9 years) just like Ferguson dominated the PL.

And I'm the first who thinks Ferguson is the GOAT manager, I just hate double standards. I still think that to judge how good a manager is you have to take into consideration mainly how good the team performs in the league, not in CL. That's why I rate managers like Pep or Ferguson so highly and I don't really think managers like Zidane or Ancelotti are that good. I know I sound pathetic but I've never seen a team as lucky as Real Madrid. Neymar injured for the second leg, Dybala sent off in the first leg and couldn't play in the second, Robben injured, Salah injured after 20 mins in a CL final, multiple referee decisions in Real's favour and those inexplicable mistakes by Ulreich and Karius can't be attributed to Zidane.

These are the best managers. CL is a highlight, but the body of work of a manager, most of it, is in the league games. Of course the league is more important in determining a manager's work. Most managers have said this themselves, btw.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Personally would have Pep as best manager I have seen as he was a coach also who revolutionised football.

Ferguson was a brilliant man manager who had energy and ruthlessness to rebuild top sides but probably his lack of being a top class 'coach' is what led to only two CLs.

All about opinions really.

Real would sack Zidane this hour if they got word Pep was interested.

Stoichkov1

These are the best managers. CL is a highlight, but the body of work of a manager, most of it, is in the league games. Of course the league is more important in determining a manager's work. Most managers have said this themselves, btw.

Yeah but now that Zidane has won 3 CLs in a row people are starting to compare him with Ferguson and there a lot of people who think Zidane is a better manager than Pep.

serghei

Yeah but now that Zidane has won 3 CLs in a row people are starting to compare him with Ferguson and there a lot of people who think Zidane is a better manager than Pep.

Depends on the people. There's always the stat maniac that just registers 3 CL wins in a row and automatically arrive at a certain conclusion, without having the knowledge to form his own opinion. Based on some numbers which may be influenced by a wide array of factors, not necessarily the quality of the manager.

It's silly to compare Zidane with Ferguson or Guardiola (although here it can be argued). 3 months ago he was on the chopping block.

Last edited:

Stoichkov1

Personally would have Pep as best manager I have seen as he was a coach also who revolutionised football.

Ferguson was a brilliant man manager who had energy and ruthlessness to rebuild top sides but probably his lack of being a top class 'coach' is what led to only two CLs.

All about opinions really.

Real would sack Zidane this hour if they got word Pep was interested.

Real wouldn't sack a club legend who has won 3 CLs in a row, no way.

Joan

It's tough to judge him. He's not a tactical mastermind, often is mistaken but the team spirit just figts back. Nobody believes they can lose.

On the other hand, he fails to motivate his players in the league. Not the best for me, of course.

Stoichkov1

Depends on the people. There's always the stat maniac that just registers 3 CL wins in a row and automatically arrive at a certain conclusion without having the knowledge to form his own opinion outside some numbers who may be influenced by a wide array of factors, outside the quality of the manager.

It's silly to compare Zidane with Ferguson or Guardiola (although here it can be argued). 3 months ago he was on the chopping block.

CL>everything else, so people who don't follow Madrid regularly don't care at all about their catastrophic domestic season.

Also there's the argument that Pep just replicated what Pellegrini did after spending 200 millions and that he can't win the CL without Messi.

El Gato

Villarato!
On the other hand, he fails to motivate his players in the league. Not the best for me, of course.

Autumn wasn't lack of motivation or fight. We had plenty of chances in all the games where we've thrown points away. We simply needed one player who would NOT miss them and that didn't happen until Bale scored a few to get the ball rolling.

serghei

CL>everything else, so people who don't follow Madrid regularly don't care at all about their catastrophic domestic season.

And this is important... why?

There are always uninformed people who have firm opinions about many things they know very little about.

henias

Of course, he is no Pep Guardiola.

But what makes him so respectable is he is extremely charismatic and players look up to him. Being the club's legend also earn that trust and respect from the players.

And he absolutely prioritises the competition alot, he knows how fresh players can be devastating and even once rotated up to 9 players at once. Gives alot of chances to young lads and most importantly persuaded Cristiano Ronaldo to rest.

His subs have been incredibly decisive as well.

jamrock

At some point we're gonna have to concede that either this Madrid team is the greatest of all time or that Zidane is the greatest manager of all time.

Maintaining the claim that this team isn't that good while also arguing that Zidane isn't a good coach is a highly illogical stance after 3 consecutive CLs.

What in the actual flying fuck

jamrock

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/may/27/real-madrid-truly-great-champions-leag

J Wilson gets it.

They win & you have to take your hat off for that but at times you are left wondering how the hell did that happen, there was no emotion no joy to it.

It's like a man sleeping with the most beautiful excort ever, you are like that happen, but I still want that girl I dreamed about in high school.

But at the end all people will remember is that they won.

Morten

Real don't play good football though and have been unbelievablely lucky. But Zidane has figured football out and makes most managers look silly, I would much prefer him to Valverde obviously. I hope Xavi can have a similar impact for us at some point.

He will make an impact with his purist football views, or fail.
Xavi only value one style of football, in fact, whenever Barca lost, he often came up with "football lost", "only one team actually tried to play football"etc. That should tell you all you need to know about Xavi the coach, it will be tiki-taka, all day, everyday.
Zidane plays whatever style of football that is needed, Xavi will not.

Home of Barca Fans