Zinedine Zidane

RMU ReBorn

Interesting read, Zidane was definitely marketed as Europe's superstar (He also ended up with the title of "best european player of the century" over Cruyff or what have you).

I agree with a lot of that post, Zidane's great assets to his legacy are his peerless elegance and legendary moments ('98, '02, '06) combined with winning every competition. On his day there was hardly any better or more complete player but "his day" just didn't come around all that often.

Article is still biased against Zidane as per its agenda:

Zidane was possibly the best outfield player until his red card, and Buffon had to make an immense save to deny him another header. No mention in the article of his godly form at 34 during the entire KO stage.

Calling Zidane invisible because he wasn't involved in the goals seems just like the millenial logic that this article disses. Zidane was also the best player of this tournament.

Next, the article disses Zidane's '98 ballon d'or by bringing up the lost CL final that year. Hindsight is a bitch here as it actually reminds everyone that Zidane also reached CL final that season (on top of WC and scudetto)

The article also pits Zidane against players who were underrated in their own right (not just relative to Zidane), or criticizes Zidane's lack of Goals & Assists compared to more attacking players. (Djorkaeff and Rivaldo for example). There is even the classic Cesc > Iniesta argument with Zidane taking Iniesta's place.
I agree . But that's not the point here . if people thinks that Iniesta and Xavi is not at Zidane's level then he is over rated. I don't have any doubt in my mind that he was world class on his day

I agree . But that's not the point here . if people thinks that Iniesta and Xavi is not at Zidane's level then he is over rated. I don't have any doubt in my mind that he was world class on his day

Or they are underrated. Not sure they are though. Xavi, maybe, as he's the personification of a CM, one of the greatest players ever. While Zidane and Iniesta are both accepted as equal or better on the ball than any other attacking mids in the past 30 years or so...

Zidane has a psychological edge over Iniesta, which is that he was accepted as the best player in his teams, while Andrès has to cede to Messi in fcb and share the honour with Xavi in the NT. I think there is more to say with Iniesta being underrated.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
For me Iniesta is/was better than Zidane. But only slightly. You have a good point in that Zidane didn't share a platform like Iniesta had to with Messi and Xavi so received more of the plaudits.

Anyway how on earth has Iniesta ever been underrated?

But this is the Zidane thread and let me say what a manager he is. He is on the verge of eclipsing Pep if he wins back to back CL titles.

Plus the way he sets up the team is great. Anyone who can't see this is beyond parody.

Morten

We wont eclipse Barca 2009-2012, even if we win back to back CL.
That side was likely the best ever, and Spain were arguably the best NT of all time too.
This RM side is just another top class team.

Benzema10

Official Lyon representative
We wont eclipse Barca 2009-2012, even if we win back to back CL.
That side was likely the best ever, and Spain were arguably the best NT of all time too.
This RM side is just another top class team.

Spain dominated when all others were at the end of a cycle aka finished. Last time where we had strong teams was in 2006.

Last edited:

Morten

that Spain team was the best European NT ever.

I think so too, and due to my own nation not featuring in EC/WC for ages, i found my "favorite" team in Spain, they were great to watch, so dominant. Shame when it all came crashing down in 2014, but it had to come to an end, eventually.

WallBreaker

You're not giving Spain 08-12 enough credit. You don't win three major international trophies in a row just because the opposition was at the end of their cycles.

Spain was the best team during its period, a period during which they in many cases only closely defeated other teams that weren't as elite. This always happens in football and serves as an argument to point out why Spain are in fact overrated to a degree as good as they were.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans