Denis Suarez

BusiTheKing

Always nice to see someone fight for his place but even though he might offer more than Gomes and Paulinho, he will be out in the cold again after one bad performance while the other guys came with privileges derived from their price tag.

Sorin

So how is this guy rewarded for decent performances these last matches? On the fucking bench while Gomes gets 90 minutes. He could at least split their game time but no, because one cost 35 big ones while the other a mere 3, erformances are thrown out the window. Fastest way to become a joke of a manager is to consider money spent when doing the teams. smh

Cule4life

The Culest
So how is this guy rewarded for decent performances these last matches? On the fucking bench while Gomes gets 90 minutes. He could at least split their game time but no, because one cost 35 big ones while the other a mere 3, erformances are thrown out the window. Fastest way to become a joke of a manager is to consider money spent when doing the teams. smh

Spoilt fan- you don't deserve a perfect manager like Valverde :pep:

khaled_a_d

Gomes play in a totally different position than that of Denis. It isn't like taking Gomes out would mean Denis to be subbed in, it would be stupid to do it.
The Leganes goal complicated things for us, he would have probably played more if it wasn't for that goal.

Sorin

Gomes play in a totally different position than that of Denis. It isn't like taking Gomes out would mean Denis to be subbed in, it would be stupid to do it.
The Leganes goal complicated things for us, he would have probably played more if it wasn't for that goal.

So what was Gomes' position again? GK? Full-back? Maybe second striker/CAM since I've seen him being compared to Messi in style in another thread. Sorry, but he was CM, playing in Iniesta's position. Who was bought for 150m to play in his position? Coutinho. You mean to tell me that against Leganes, you can't play with a midfield of Rakitic and Coutinho? Maybe he was tasked with just circulating the ball and doing simple things, but that illustrates another problem of his. His attacking prowess is close to fucking zero. Give me a break! That should glue your ass to the bench for eternity if, as a CM at Barcelona, you can't help the attack to save your life. I swear, this guy gets to have more excuses then everyone and just doing the minimum necessary is enough to get you a pass. That's a reason why our midfield depth is so behind a lot of teams. Mediocre guys like Gomes keep getting game time. Mediocrity is simply getting a pass because of sentimentality or some shit. Other teams discard these guys asap while we give them chances after chances.

Valverde is also responsible for this, as against Leganes you don't play like a coward, instructing men to keep it as safe as possible. They have 25 goals scored, the third worst attack in La Liga. That's a team against you let the team get loose. Gomes getting to do 2 meter passes and only defend is not acceptable.

Let's just agree to disagree since I really don't see the point of Gomes getting playing time anymore. From my point of view, he should warm the seat in the stands until his ass is sold or whatever.

behindbrowneyes

So what was Gomes' position again? GK? Full-back? Maybe second striker/CAM since I've seen him being compared to Messi in style in another thread. Sorry, but he was CM, playing in Iniesta's position. Who was bought for 150m to play in his position? Coutinho. You mean to tell me that against Leganes, you can't play with a midfield of Rakitic and Coutinho? Maybe he was tasked with just circulating the ball and doing simple things, but that illustrates another problem of his. His attacking prowess is close to fucking zero. Give me a break! That should glue your ass to the bench for eternity if, as a CM at Barcelona, you can't help the attack to save your life. I swear, this guy gets to have more excuses then everyone and just doing the minimum necessary is enough to get you a pass. That's a reason why our midfield depth is so behind a lot of teams. Mediocre guys like Gomes keep getting game time. Mediocrity is simply getting a pass because of sentimentality or some shit. Other teams discard these guys asap while we give them chances after chances.

Valverde is also responsible for this, as against Leganes you don't play like a coward, instructing men to keep it as safe as possible. They have 25 goals scored, the third worst attack in La Liga. That's a team against you let the team get loose. Gomes getting to do 2 meter passes and only defend is not acceptable.

Let's just agree to disagree since I really don't see the point of Gomes getting playing time anymore. From my point of view, he should warm the seat in the stands until his ass is sold or whatever.

He didn't play the Iniesta-position. He played the Rakitic-position since Rakitic was playing the Busquets-role. Coutinho played instead of Iniesta in which was supposed to be a 4-4-2. Playing Gomes in that position was a test for what if Busquets isn't ready for Roma or his problems become worse in the coming weeks. Paulinho was playing very bad recently and Denis is not an option for such a defensive role. Or does Rakitic interpret his role beside Busquets very offensive? Don't see it.

But yes, let's play Denis vs Leganes and throw in Gomes vs Roma, Sevilla without practice in that position. Very good idea. I'm pretty sure Valverde instructed him to play it safe the same way Rakitic does it when he plays in that position. Gomes' performance wasn't masterclass, but not as bad as you make it. The reason why he is getting chances is that Busquets is slightly injured and Paulinho is overplayed. If you like it or not, he is just the next best option for the job.

Sorin

He didn't play the Iniesta-position. He played the Rakitic-position since Rakitic was playing the Busquets-role. Coutinho played instead of Iniesta in which was supposed to be a 4-4-2. Playing Gomes in that position was a test for what if Busquets isn't ready for Roma or his problems become worse in the coming weeks. Paulinho was playing very bad recently and Denis is not an option for such a defensive role. Or does Rakitic interpret his role beside Busquets very offensive? Don't see it.

But yes, let's play Denis vs Leganes and throw in Gomes vs Roma, Sevilla without practice in that position. Very good idea. I'm pretty sure Valverde instructed him to play it safe the same way Rakitic does it when he plays in that position. Gomes' performance wasn't masterclass, but not as bad as you make it. The reason why he is getting chances is that Busquets is slightly injured and Paulinho is overplayed. If you like it or not, he is just the next best option for the job.

Raketa10' grandma is a better option for the job. No offense [MENTION=20770]Raketa10[/MENTION]

A mediocre player like Gomes should not even be an option. His ass should be in the stands. No matter how much practice he gets he still plays poorly. You think just because he played against Leganes, he will perform better against Roma? How many times has that happened? He'll be his usual average self whether he gets chances or not. Hell he'll get exposed in that position against Roma, so let's pray he gets to warm the bench.

Let's leave it at that. This is Denis Suarez' thread and i derailed it. Just seemed that he earned some playing time because frankly, these last matches, he was pretty good. After getting frozen for half a year, that would've been a great confidence booster for Denis.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Gomes is still a way better option than Denis for such position, not even a contest. Just like Denis is much better suited for playing on the sides. And both are mediocre bench player anyway.

RMU ReBorn

Mediocre Squad player over rated by few to prove that Gomes is prefered over him . In hindsight both plays in different positions

Messi983

I see people still have troubles to understand what roles/positions certain players have.

We have 4 players for two DM/CM/workhorse spots - Busi, Raki, Paulinho and Gomes. It's true later two often played as wide midfielders in first half of the season when we didn't have Dembele and Coutinho but now they are usually used to give rest to Busi/Raki or they are brought on in 2nd half when we defend the lead.

And then we have 5 players for wide midfielder positions (LM/RM). Iniesta, Coutinho, Dembele, Vidal and Denis with Paco also used there sometimes in 1st half of the season but not as much recently. Denis is clearly 3rd option for LM behind Iniesta and Cou and we could argue he deserves to be 2nd option behind Dembele at RM ahead of Vidal but this also depends on the opponent as I think Vidal was quite useful in some games when we could use his pace. On the other hand, Denis had some good sub appearances like against Getafe at the start of the season or now against Sevilla but whenever he started he was disappointing.

Denis is at best 3rd option at both positions he can play (LM/RM) and he's not losing playing time because of Gomes or Paulinho but mostly due to Iniesta, Coutinho, Dembele and now possibly Roberto (who I expect to play some games as RM, especially in CL) added to the mix who are all much better players. When you are far down the pecking order you have to use every chance you get to impress and Denis has hardly done that so it's his fault he doesn't play more. Gomes is irrelevant to that.

GOAT_SUAREZ

Denis isn't even good and he would be god awful at DM.

Sorin

Denis isn't even good and he would be god awful at DM.

Don't put words in my mouth. Never said that he should play DM instead of Gomes. Nice of you to completely misunderstand my point. No worries you're not the only one. Some people froth at the mouth whenever someone disagrees or doesn't like Valverde's choices. Not you btw.

I proposed a much more attacking 442 side with Coutinho and Rakitic in the middle Dembele and Denis on the wings. Against Leganes you can surely put something like that out without shitting the bed. Guess not. But hey, it's only my opinion that Gomes should be let to rot on the bench or in the stands since he hasn't got one attribute that suits Barca. Anyway just leave it at that. Not fussed to continue such a debate. It's not very important in the grand scheme of things.

Edit: This also applies to [MENTION=20930]Messi983[/MENTION] post above yours who likewise took a condescending tone with me, instructing me who plays where like I was even arguing that. Fabricating arguments when there are none.

Last edited:

Theodor

The entire left side should be Alba/Denis/Coutinho, and the left side Semedo/Dembele/Messi.... Too bad we don't play attacking football under this shit stain of a coach

Home of Barca Fans