Denis Suarez

El Flaco

Denis interview with Mundo Deportivo

[tw]930686470251319297[/tw]

Using Google Translate, sorry......

Denis Suárez is having an intermittent role in the start of the season and although he does not enjoy the continuity he would like, he is taking advantage of the opportunities that Valverde gives him. Napoli insists on signing him, but Galician reiterates that his only wish is to succeed as a Barça player. And does not hide his discomfort to be exposed in the 'showcase' of the transfer market.

What is your assessment of your season so far?

The balance at the personal level is very positive. I think I have taken a step forward with respect to last season, I have shown it on the field the minutes in which I have been given the opportunity, I have responded and my teammates encourage me to do my football. My game is very Barça style and when you have opportunities, to make the most of them.

Have you played more or less than you expected?

You always want to play more, but I have a very calm conscience, because I know that when I played I gave the level and I showed that I have a place in this team.

Do you think you deserved more minutes for the performance you have offered?

That depends on the coach and the options he has and wants. I gave a great level, I showed it in Getafe, coming out in the second half, against Eibar when I was given the opportunity and against Las Palmas. Then I was four or five games without playing, I returned to Olympiacos ... but in general satisfied with my performance.

He says he has taken a step forward from last season. What has changed?

I play with much more ease, with more personality. Last year was new, I did not know all the teammates, but this year I feel much more comfortable in the team, the teammates already know me and help me and encourage me to do my game.

Denis does not just explode because it has no continuity or has no continuity because it does not just explode?

I do not know, I think that when I have given continuity in two or three matches I have performed at a great level, I have contributed goals and assists, in the end it is certain that when you play three, four matches in a row is much easier than when you play a game yes and four do not. But that depends on the coach, with whom I am very satisfied with how he has treated me from the beginning and when he wants to put me there I will be.

Do you talk to the coach about your situation and why do you sometimes play and sometimes not?

No, we do not talk about that. We are a very broad team, in my position there are many players and Iniesta is performing at a great level. When I was given the opportunity I took advantage of it, I worked hard every day to play, because as I have always said, my dream is to succeed at Barça and be here for many years.

At the football level what does Valverde ask?

It's a bit different from last year, because in that left inside position you play practically without an end, as if it were a 4-4-2 and I feel very comfortable.

Does Valverde's style favor him more than Luis Enrique's?

I think so, because I play with a little more freedom and that helps me.

Naples insists on signing him in the winter market...

I do not want to leave here, I've said it for a long time. My teammates encouraged me to continue in the summer and I do not intend to move from here, I want to succeed at Barça. I have the feeling, I do not know if on the part of the club, that whatever I do I am exposed in the market. I have rejected those proposals, so the rumors that come out do not come from me, I have not heard any offers.

Have you felt pressured to accept any offer and be transferred?

If it's true that I said I was not going to move, I was very clear before the season started, but every time the transfer market approaches, it seems that they put me on the market, when I never said that I want to go. I am willing to succeed here, because I consider myself at home and I think my style fits a lot in this club.

Why do you think they put you on the market?

Well I do not know, I do not know.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanx [MENTION=20286]El Flaco[/MENTION]!

He sounds calm and determined to stay. Sad that there are rumors sending him off.

Jallo

What does he need to do to become part of Valverde’s plans. When he plays he is good and get even less playing time. When Andre Gomes plays he plays bad and gets more playing time. Why is he rewarding mediocracy.

M

MessiCam

What does he need to do to become part of Valverde’s plans. When he plays he is good and get even less playing time. When Andre Gomes plays he plays bad and gets more playing time. Why is he rewarding mediocracy.

Because they’re kissing his ass. Suarez, Rakitic and Gomes... All of them publicly supporting this fraud of a manager.

Messi983

Don't really know what he did so good that he'd deserve to start.

I like him but think he's way overrated on this forum with people screaming for him to start just because they "hate" other players that are playing more. For me his best position is LW but we are basically playing without one in most games with Alba acting as wingback so it's understandable why he doesn't get more minutes.

M

MessiCam

Don't really know what he did so good that he'd deserve to start.

I like him but think he's way overrated on this forum with people screaming for him to start just because they "hate" other players that are playing more. For me his best position is LW but we are basically playing without one in most games with Alba acting as wingback so it's understandable why he doesn't get more minutes.

I also don't rate him as a midfielder but he is good as a wing. From an attacking point of view he's second only to Messi this season and that alone should have assured him of more playing time, but no...

Paco has one good game and all of a sudden he's the teachers new pet while other's who have contributed more have to warm the bench or sacrifice their positions. I mean Valverde has Messi playing in full midfield mode. I don't care who the manager is... You don't take, probably, the most effective player ever in the final third and have him spend the bulk of his time in midfield. It's inexcusable.

BBZ8800

I also don't rate him as a midfielder but he is good as a wing. From an attacking point of view he's second only to Messi this season and that alone should have assured him of more playing time, but no...

Paco has one good game and all of a sudden he's the teachers new pet while other's who have contributed more have to warm the bench or sacrifice their positions. I mean Valverde has Messi playing in full midfield mode. I don't care who the manager is... You don't take, probably, the most effective player ever in the final third and have him spend the bulk of his time in midfield. It's inexcusable.

There are 100s of possible answers.
In the beginning of the season, Messi was the only player able to score.
Lately only Messi and now Paulinho can score goals.
In that sense, we don't need more creators and passers since another creator will pass the ball to a creator no2 and a creator no2 won't be able to score, since he sucks in scoring.
For example, Denis passing to Iniesta or Iniesta passing to Alba or Denis.

On the other hand, weaker players in technical area, like Deulofeu, Paco and Paulinho, but who are better scorers can contribute more in this moment.
Some won't agree, but we aren't lacking in number of chances (even though we don't play beautiful). We are creating enough of chances and we just need 3-4 guys who can score goals.

I am sure that some of you would like to field a team of:
Denis-Messi-Dembele
Iniesta-Alena-Busquets
Alba-Pique-Umtiti-Semedo

And then: Denis will pass and can't score. Dembele is weak at finishing.
Iniesta can't score. Alena might score.
Busi will never score.
Alba/Semedo and Cbs won't score.

So, this team would play nice and create a lot of chances and yet, we would probably need 20 shots to score 1 goal.
Also, imagine if the opponents would put 2-3 players to man mark Messi, and if Denis, Iniesta and Dembele would shoot all the time.

There is a reason why off form Suarez is on the field.
And why Paco and Paulinho are playing.

EV is sacrificing some creation for lethalness and strong defense.

Some might say that Pep was winning with sterile scorers in midfielders Xavi-Iniesta-Busquets.
But he had Messi-Etoo-Henry or Messi-Villa-Pedro.
Pep always had at least 3 players who can score.

Now, go back to lineup from this post and tell me, who will score in:
Denis-Messi-Dembele, Iniesta-Alena-Busquets lineup?

Football is not that simple and each player has 10-20 different pros and cons.
Each guy is bringing 10s of things to the table.
And removing Paco and adding Denis won't change our team only in terms: we will get better passes and more creativity.

We will gain 10s of things, but also we'll lose 10s of things.

Again, at the end of the day, EV's picks and players whom he is playing have brought us the best league start in our history.
So, maybe playing a lethal scorer Paco instead of Denis isn't such a bad thing either?

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

There are 100s of possible answers.
In the beginning of the season, Messi was the only player able to score.
Lately only Messi and now Paulinho can score goals.
In that sense, we don't need more creators and passers since another creator will pass the ball to a creator no2 and a creator no2 won't be able to score, since he sucks in scoring.
For example, Denis passing to Iniesta or Iniesta passing to Alba or Denis.

I don't know why you do this but you always come up with these hypotheticals...

Problem is that you're wrong... When Suarez wasn't scoring Denis was and assisting too.

On the other hand, weaker players in technical area, like Deulofeu, Paco and Paulinho, but who are better scorers can contribute more in this moment.
Some won't agree, but we aren't lacking in number of chances (even though we don't play beautiful). We are creating enough of chances and we just need 3-4 guys who can score goals.
I wouldn't say we're lacking in chance creation but I would say we're lacking in terms of chances per percentage of possession (lack of creativity) but even so the problem with your statement is that Deulofeu and Paulinho are not seeing enough game time... So that theory doesn't cut it either.

I am sure that some of you would like to field a team of:
Denis-Messi-Dembele
Iniesta-Alena-Busquets
Alba-Pique-Umtiti-Semedo

And then: Denis will pass and can't score. Dembele is weak at finishing.
Iniesta can't score. Alena might score.
Busi will never score.
Alba/Semedo and Cbs won't score.
I'd take that team and setup over the current pile of crap any day except for fielding Alena all the time. We want Alena to receive game time and develop. I haven't seen one poster calling for him to be an automatic starter. And who says Dembele is weak at finishing? This is the guy who at 18 years old scored 12 goals in less than 30 appearances for Rennes and who became a playmaker at Dortmund.

So, this team would play nice and create a lot of chances and yet, we would probably need 20 shots to score 1 goal.
Also, imagine if the opponents would put 2-3 players to man mark Messi, and if Denis, Iniesta and Dembele would shoot all the time.

Are you serious? I'd take that type of setup from the opposition all day long...

There is a reason why off form Suarez is on the field.
And why Paco and Paulinho are playing.

EV is sacrificing some creation for lethalness and strong defense.
What lethalness? Denis is the most lethal of all of those this season... He has scored with every shot taken and Suarez is so far from lethal it's unbelievable... I am not going to let 2 rebound goals pull the wool over what was an average performance. No Sir... No. And what defence are you talking about? The same defence that has Ter Stegen making 35 saves from 39 shots of which 22 have come from inside the box? I must be watching different games to the rest of you...

Some might say that Pep was winning with sterile scorers in midfielders Xavi-Iniesta-Busquets.
But he had Messi-Etoo-Henry or Messi-Villa-Pedro.
Pep always had at least 3 players who can score.

Leave Pep out of this... But Villa and Henry scored 48/49 goals in 120 appearances or so for Barca and Pedro scored 99 in 320 - I'd actually back Dembele to beat that and any good winger to be quite honest.

Now, go back to lineup from this post and tell me, who will score in:
Denis-Messi-Dembele, Iniesta-Alena-Busquets lineup?

Football is not that simple and each player has 10-20 different pros and cons.
Each guy is bringing 10s of things to the table.
And removing Paco and adding Denis won't change our team only in terms: we will get better passes and more creativity.

We will gain 10s of things, but also we'll lose 10s of things.

Again, at the end of the day, EV's picks and players whom he is playing have brought us the best league start in our history.
So, maybe playing a lethal scorer Paco instead of Denis isn't such a bad thing either?
We're lacking creativity. It's fairly obvious isn't it so playing both Suarez and Paco who add nothing in terms of creativity is counter-intuitive. But why is Messi playing in midfield?

Last edited:

behindbrowneyes

Although he didn't record an assist, Paco was directly involved in both Suárez goals last weekend. His runs were key for the goals. He may not be the perfect solution but his finishing is quite good and he is dangerous in front of the goal. Prefer him over the other options right now.

Home of Barca Fans