Denis Suarez

khaled_a_d

And no Iniesta is not playing as a LCM. He is playing as a LM. He is too wide to playing as a CM. In a 4-4-2 the pivots are the RCM and LCM’s...

Now I want you show me one professional who calls Iniesta an attacking midfielder as opposed to a central midfielder? He may be the more attacking of a 3 man central midfield but he is not an AM. Don’t convolute things to suit an agenda.

Gomes can have all the trust in the world based on training ground exercises but if it doesn’t translate onto the pitch it’s useless.

If you really didn't see Iniesta called AM before it is your problem, hell this discussion about his position here was made zillions of times.
And no, Iniesta is also not playing wide enough to be called LM either, do you see him playing same way as Vidal/Dembele when they are playing on the right side? are the later two playing same way as Paulinho?
Alena will be playing same way as Iniesta right now but on right side, which would allow Dembele to shift to left side if needed.
That in case we stick to 442

M

MessiCam

If you really didn't see Iniesta called AM before it is your problem, hell this discussion about his position here was made zillions of times.
And no, Iniesta is also not playing wide enough to be called LM either, do you see him playing same way as Vidal/Dembele when they are playing on the right side? are the later two playing same way as Paulinho?
Alena will be playing same way as Iniesta right now but on right side, which would allow Dembele to shift to left side if needed.
That in case we stick to 442
He is not a winger like Dembélé and Vidal so expecting him to play in the same manner is ridiculous. He spends a lot of time on the touch line.

And no I haven’t seen any pundit call Iniesta an attacking midfielder. You made the claim that he is an attacking midfielder so provide the evidence that proves it. “It’s your problem” is a cop out.

Horatio

You're welcome
Did you see how Zappacosta just bumped Gomes off the ball in the Chelsea game? He might have physical presence but he is lighter in the pants that even Denis.

Yes, I know exactly what instance you're talking about. And Denis Suarez offers physically even less. Imagine that!

ASordidGod

Iniesta is absolutely playing lm imo. Which is a big part of the reason for our lack of control these days. I mean, obviously instinctively he'll drift inside, but his starting position is too wide for him to have the same influence he once did. (plus of course he's older now.)

khaled_a_d

And no I haven’t seen any pundit call Iniesta an attacking midfielder. You made the claim that he is an attacking midfielder so provide the evidence that proves it. “It’s your problem” is a cop out.

You search Iniesta on google and you will find hundreds calling him AM, wikipedia, official website etc.
And just to clarify any misudnerstanding, I am talking mainly about earlier version of Iniesta, he played deeper as time went by

He is not a winger like Dembélé and Vidal so expecting him to play in the same manner is ridiculous. He spends a lot of time on the touch line.

Let's get this straight, we are discussing Alena & Denis. I've explained hundred of times that coaches gives role and not a formation (they don't come and say we will play 442, player X is RM and Y is LM)
I've explained the roles that Alena will play, he will be playing like Iniesta but on the right side while Dembele will play same way he is on left side. You can call it whatever you want

Last edited:

Nothanks

this obsession with possession and formations... the coaches would laugh if they saw this conversation.
iniesta, like messi on paper are in "positions" but play such specific and specialized roles there really is no point in trying to simplify it by putting the general term like LM or 9 on these players.

mesiesta

Good cameo, I like his type of player. Unfortunately, he is too incosistence and it was one of the last Barca performances for him.

Home of Barca Fans