Denis Suarez

Although he didn't record an assist, Paco was directly involved in both Suárez goals last weekend. His runs were key for the goals. He may not be the perfect solution but his finishing is quite good and he is dangerous in front of the goal. Prefer him over the other options right now.

You cannot continuously play 3 players (Messi, Suarez, Paco) that like to operate in the middle of the pitch and expect to win consistently.

M

MessiCam

Although he didn't record an assist, Paco was directly involved in both Suárez goals last weekend. His runs were key for the goals. He may not be the perfect solution but his finishing is quite good and he is dangerous in front of the goal. Prefer him over the other options right now.

I wouldn't say he is dangerous in front of goal but even if he was what else does he bring? I'm asking because this 2 striker system is narrow and not only does it hinder Messi but it leaves the full backs isolated too.

I don't know. This obsession with getting both Messi and Suarez into central zones has completely unbalanced this already flimsy team and the performances have suffered as a result. The whole football world is talking about it and the only thing that's going force change is a string of poor results. If Valverde keeps winning with these tactics there is little incentive to change despite its glaring shortcomings.

Deep down I hope that I will be pleasantly surprised by a system that makes sense and we go on to play good if not beautiful football but I also know that it's very unlikely to happen with this coach... But as they say hope dies last.

Last edited:

behindbrowneyes

You cannot continuously play 3 players (Messi, Suarez, Paco) that like to operate in the middle of the pitch and expect to win consistently.

Well, we all know that this is just a temporary solution till Dembélé gets the green light. Don't think Valverde will change anything as long as it works. If it doesn't work anymore, he will react during the game. But we'll see if Paco starts in few hours.

Neither Denis nor Deulofeu proved that they are THE solution. They had their chance and right Paco gets his. These are the advantages and disadvantages of a bigger squad with some question marks regarding starting line-ups. You have more options for different systems/tactics. With Lucho, smaller squad and clear starters we didn't have this "luxury problem". Luxury is the wrong word. it is more like quantity option.

behindbrowneyes

I wouldn't say he is dangerous in front of goal but even if he was what else does he bring? I'm asking because this 2 striker system is narrow and not only does it hinder Messi but it leaves the full backs isolated too.

I don't know. This obsession with getting both Messi and Suarez into central zones has completely unbalanced this already flimsy team and the performances have suffered as a result. The whole football world is talking about it and the only thing that's going force change is a string of poor results. If Valverde keeps winning with these tactics there is little incentive to change despite its glaring shortcomings.

Deep down I hope that I will be pleasantly surprised by a system that makes sense and we go on to play good football if not beautiful but I also know that it's very unlikely to happen with this coach... But as they say hope dies last.

Man , I know. Our lack of quality wingers hurts our fullbacks. Madrid has a similar problem. They have CR and Benzema in the center and the need to find a position for Isco because he is too good for the bench. In the end, with the injury of Bale and disappearing advantage of 100 crosses per game brought them where they stand now.

I'm not a fan of this system but I can understand why Valverde sticks to it. I mean, look at our squad. We seriously have no wingers. We have Deulofeu and Denis who is considered as a CM. Valverde trying Gomes on the wing showed how desperate we are lacking of wingers. Sure, we can try Vidal and a Atléti-Arda would be fire compared to our other options, but reality is not like this.

A good coach has to make the best of his opportunities and right now we don't have a right to criticise Valverde for making the best of our unbalanced squad. I mean, we have like 10 central midfielders.

M

MessiCam

Man , I know. Our lack of quality wingers hurts our fullbacks. Madrid has a similar problem. They have CR and Benzema in the center and the need to find a position for Isco because he is too good for the bench. In the end, with the injury of Bale and disappearing advantage of 100 crosses per game brought them where they stand now.

I'm not a fan of this system but I can understand why Valverde sticks to it. I mean, look at our squad. We seriously have no wingers. We have Deulofeu and Denis who is considered as a CM. Valverde trying Gomes on the wing showed how desperate we are lacking of wingers. Sure, we can try Vidal and a Atléti-Arda would be fire compared to our other options, but reality is not like this.

A good coach has to make the best of his opportunities and right now we don't have a right to criticise Valverde for making the best of our unbalanced squad. I mean, we have like 10 central midfielders.

I disagree with you on this. Denis and Deulofeu on the wings would be better than Suarez and Paco as strikers. Not only in terms of form but in terms of options in the final third. Denis has been good whenever he has been given a chance on either flank and even though Deulofeu is one dimensional he still causes problems for defenders. This in turn will open spaces for Messi centrally...

I see you've posted that it's a temporary solution until Dembele returns. I don't see it that way at all... Where does Suarez fit in with a fit Dembele? Or conversely where does Dembele fit in with both Messi and Suarez centrally?

A 4-2-3-1 system is not going to work when your sole striker has lost all basic centre forward attributes and it's proving difficult to get Messi and Suarez to click through the centre.

behindbrowneyes

I disagree with you on this. Denis and Deulofeu on the wings would be better than Suarez and Paco as strikers. Not only in terms of form but in terms of options in the final third. Denis has been good whenever he has been given a chance on either flank and even though Deulofeu is one dimensional he still causes problems for defenders. This in turn will open spaces for Messi centrally...

I see you've posted that it's a temporary solution until Dembele returns. I don't see it that way at all... Where does Suarez fit in with a fit Dembele? Or conversely where does Dembele fit in with both Messi and Suarez centrally?

A 4-2-3-1 system is not going to work when your sole striker has lost all basic centre forward attributes and it's proving difficult to get Messi and Suarez to click through the centre.

I don't think it will make a big difference if these two would play. Both Denis and Deulofeu are lacking balls. They are afraid of making mistakes and therefore play uninspired. They want to show that they've become better in other areas like defensive contribution,tactical discipline and other things but forget to display their strenghts. Roberto had the same problem a few years ago. He was afraid to make mistakes and so he didn't risk anything. Now he has the confidence to make that solo runs.

Confidence is key and I don't see it in them. Gomes, the same. He isn't that bad as people make him, but he just has zero confidence and every blind man can see it. Sure, you gain confidence if you play well, but you just will play well if you don't forget to show your strenghts. Look at Paulinho. He may be older and more experienced, but he had to face the probably biggest shitstorm. It takes big balls to play your game while you get criticized from everyone.

@Dembélé. We have this problem for at least 2 years now. In recent years our game was leaning to the left, with Dembélé it will be inversely. This won't change as long we have Messi and a "starting 9".

I agree with you that Suárez is a big problem. We will see if he becomes better and what Valverde changes in his tactics with Dembélé rejoining the team.

Xaviniesta

He hasn’t started in a while. Going by Valverde’s logic, he’ll start at the Mestalla. Won’t complain about that though

Theodor

There are 100s of possible answers.

In that sense, we don't need more creators and passers since another creator will pass the ball to a creator no2 and a creator no2 won't be able to score, since he sucks in scoring.
For example, Denis passing to Iniesta or Iniesta passing to Alba or Denis.

First of all, Denis has 2 goals and 2 assists with extremely limited playing time. His ability to score and create chances is miles better than what suarez showed all year.

Second, we don't have dembele right now and we're using either Deulo on the wings or 2 strikers. Both options are absolutely moronic. Deulo shouldnt be a starter, and with 2 strikers we have no width.

The only good formation we have right now would be Denis - Paco (because anything is better than suarez) - Messi

JamDav1982

First of all, Denis has 2 goals and 2 assists with extremely limited playing time. His ability to score and create chances is miles better than what suarez showed all year.

Second, we don't have dembele right now and we're using either Deulo on the wings or 2 strikers. Both options are absolutely moronic. Deulo shouldnt be a starter, and with 2 strikers we have no width.

The only good formation we have right now would be Denis - Paco (because anything is better than suarez) - Messi

I like Denis and think with Dembele on the other side he could be decent on the LW.

But can see why Valverde has not played him all that much as he is more of the same and while good techincally others lik Deu have pace, Paco can run in behind and Gomes in games he has played has actually been quite strong physically.

Denis is a better player than Deu but not as straightforward as that when Valverde picking a team and I say that not rating Deu at all.

Theodor

I like Denis and think with Dembele on the other side he could be decent on the LW.

But can see why Valverde has not played him all that much as he is more of the same and while good techincally others lik Deu have pace, Paco can run in behind and Gomes in games he has played has actually been quite strong physically.

Denis is a better player than Deu but not as straightforward as that when Valverde picking a team and I say that not rating Deu at all.

That's a decent theory. I've always seen Denis as an advanced midfielder. Tho I do think with some playing time, he could be an excellent LW. The problem is that he almost never gets to play. And Deulo hasn't produced anything worthwile in the time he has been given. Maaaaaybe we should give Denis that chance instead of wasting it on Deulo.

FCBfan22

When he was subbed on today, he did his job. Was lively and tried to do something.

I still don't know why Valverde prefers that brainless idiot Deulofeu to him.

SwiftGuyver

He's looked decent when he's started games as well it just hasn't happened very often. He's a better option than either Deulofeu in the front 3 or Rakitic in the midfield in my opinion. He probably won't cut it as a Barca player but based on our current options I'd be playing him more.

Home of Barca Fans