Denis Suarez

El Flaco

Such a poor 1st half from Denis against Granada today.

For me, it seems the Spaniard's confidence isn't really that high.

He doesn't do take-ons, doesn't try any risky passes. Just make sideway passes or back passes mostly....

serghei

He doesn't have the consistency required to play in midfield. Because he doesn't make the consistent very good pass, he either plays it safe, or tries something fancy and loses the ball. Xavi was not that erratic for example. He almost always played the safest very good pass when in CM position. It was Messi and even Iniesta who did more of those tricky high-risk passes, but then, they played higher.

You could even spot Xavi during a game, thinking about passing somewhere, but just not doing it at the last second because the passing lane was too tight and the outcome of the pass would've been too uncontrolled. This is everything about being a great playmaker at Barca in a deeper position. Finding a balance to provide very good passes and doing that with 88-94% success rate.

For Xavi, playing the safest very good pass most of the time in his career is one of the reasons why he is, undeservedly, rated lower than a player like Zidane for example by most football fans.

Last edited:

Raketa10

Kid really needs to find a balance in his game. He is really playing everything and nothing right now. I am not sure he understands his role at all. I am also not sure what his ideal position is but in our system he is not a true midfielder nor a winger. Maybe he can become a good midfield player but there is a lot of work to be done by him and our training stuff.

serghei

Lacks balls. Really disappointed with him so far.

All of our players lacked balls to play the short pass forward when in midfield. It's either that or Lucho instructed us to go long-balls mode. I haven't seen a single 1-2 in midfield or a single sequence of short passes to move the ball forward in midfield, all of our actions bypassed that zone as if Granada was some sort of scary monster that was unbeatable by playing there. All I saw were a bunch of long balls from our CBs to either the strikers or the fullbacks. That's why Roberto and Digne were some of our best players.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
When we signed him I said he should play as left wing forward.

He is energetic and exploits space, he's not great positionally which is prerequisite for midfielder.

serghei

When we signed him I said he should play as left wing forward.

He is energetic and exploits space, he's not great positionally which is prerequisite for midfielder.

Yea, this too. When in CM you have a 360 degree space to move, so you really need to know where to stand and where to move in order to get in the game (tactics must help too). When more advanced, especially at winger position, the areas where you can go are more limited, and the positional game is easier to grasp, since you have less space to cover.

This is why playing from wide midfielder or winger in a more central role is not easy at all. Some never adapt to midfield play.

Home of Barca Fans