Philipp Lahm

PaulFCB

Banned
Weren't we transferring him in 3-4 years back in 2007 when he was saying he was happy to come to Barca but not at that particular moment? :laporta:

Maybe Pep wants :alveshat:.

Der Kaiser

Much harder to be consistent when you're playing as a forward, though.

Without question. Im not saying Lahm is to be compared to Messi when it comes to overall greatness or influence on the game. But Lahm´s consistency in terms of minutes played and average performance in games is beyond everybody else, and has been for the last few years.

Bertus

It's official, Germany captain Philipp Lahm retires from international football

More to read there > http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/18/philipp-lahm-retires-germany-world-cup-captain

Good decision. Better to stop when at the top. A legend. IMO he was the best RB for years and a great, great captain.

Philipp+Lahm+Germany+v+Argentina+IUqWiRQVRxOl.jpg

Ciao l'Artiste.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
It is also brilliant intelligence to do it now.

Lahm probably realises that he can still play and perform excellently at the top level well too the euros in 2016 but might be pushing it for 2018. So retiring now gives an opportunity to another right back to cement his place in the team in a piss easy euro qualifying campaign. Then that player would be prepared and ready for 2018.

Thinking of the team rather than himself. Says a lot about the man.

Ursegor

World Champion
Philip Lahm ought to win the UEFA Best Player Award IMO.

Which would be a complete farce. He's played DM 90 % of the time in 2014. Sure, he did well to adapt to that position - except in the WC where he sucked as a midfielder -, but he doesn't even touch Busquets in the same role nor did he do anything remarkable. Yet Busquets never even gets nominated for these awards let alone coming close to winning it.

Also with the Hames nomination we've reached the point where it's now a marketability, popularity and hype contest for good if it wasn't already.

Alarcón

Also with the Hames nomination we've reached the point where it's now a marketability, popularity and hype contest for good if it wasn't already.

I agree, nominating James is just laughable. I've always understood the Europe Player of the Year award as an award for the whole season with the main focus being on the Champions League.

Bertus

Lahm is such an incredible player. Very consistent throughout the years.

I would give him every awards if it was just me, because his career deserves all that praise.

Yeah I'm biased. But who cares o/

Galning

Who cares about these individual awards anyway? There's just too many. I thus agree with Bertus. Give the man the Ballon d'Or!

Die Bayern

A bit shocked by this, thought he could play until the Euros at the least. But then the prospect of leaving on a high isn't bad either. Will be missed massively, but at least he'd be able to focus on Bayern only from now on.

Home of Barca Fans