Marcelo

Morten

Pity he got overlooked in all the categories in the UEFA awards, he peformed well and scored some clutch goals in the knockouts.

Morten

Our most dangerous goal threat is a left back, thats just sad.
Probably will miss the Barcelona game though.

El Gato

Villarato!
If he isnt 100%, i sure hope not, this game is lost before its even played, no point taking any risks.

This doom and gloom attitude seems apt, but strange things happen in football. Almost nothing here is in our favour, from form, to backroom politics. In these circumstances results actually tend to be opposite of what is expected.

Playing Marcelo would be the same decision as Simeone playing Costa in 13/14 final. Can backfire, but this is pretty key for the manager and the team. You can't bench a player like him if he has a chance to feature. It's not like we're risking the rest of the season under this manager and with this squad, who was only barely expected to go for the league title only. Lopetegui has to play his best lineup or he accelerates his sacking, which is 95% done. Not letting Marcelo play would be sensible, but the comms aren't perfect between the two, Marcelo had come off injured in September after the final sub was made already and there also was this episode where he got subbed and Marcelo voiced how 'he didn't understand it but respected it'. So basically either Lopetegui puts his foot down and benches him, but that would mean playing a conservative lineup in a game he needs to try to win, or he lets him out there given Marcelo will probably not admit to not being fully fit.

In any case, he will almost surely play. I didn't see the tackle against Plzen, but saw a photo so if that was an impact related thing and it's not muscular, then there's no reason to think he'll be at risk of reinjuring himself.

Edit: Lopetegui pretty much confirmed on the conference it was only a bruise, he's training normally and seems able to play.

Last edited:

PhilS

Marcelo's play is likely to decide this clasico. He will either win it with his offense or lose it with his defense.

Morten

Only player who is doing something these days, wasnt even fully fit, but still gave it a try.
Will be our topscorer at this rate....

Trickykid

Any news on his injury? It looked like a classic hamstring injury, meaning he should be out for a couple of weeks.

Morten

IMO, the best attacking full back to ever play the game. In the last 20 years, would only take a prime roberto carlos or alves over him due to better defensive ability/ effort.

his performance versus bayern in the 16-17 CL ties was out of this world.

His performances against Bayern are legendary, perhaps the best performance i have ever seen from a fullback at the highest level.
Having watched Carlos, i think Marcelo surpassed him some time ago, Carlos wasnt always the best defensively either, and other than those rocket shots and pace, i cant really find aspects of his game that were better than Marcelo. Not downplaying his shooting though, he could score from pretty much anywhere on the pitch on his day, i just prefer Marcelos excellent controll of the ball and creativity overall.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans