Gerardo "Tata" Martino

Faceless

No more faces at night
gerardo-martino-story-ap.jpg

Gerardo Daniel Martino (born November 20, 1962), nicknamed Tata, is an Argentine manager and former football midfielder.
tata.png

Martino played mostly for Newell's Old Boys in his native Rosario. He holds the record of appearances with the team playing a total of 505 matches in all official competitions. He was also selected in a fan's poll as Newell's best player throughout the club's history.

Martino was assigned as head coach of the Paraguayan national football team in February 2007, replacing Uruguayan Anibal Maño Ruiz. His knowledge and success while coaching Paraguayan clubs were the parameters that positioned him as the best option for the job (other candidates were Nery Pumpido and Miguel Ángel Russo). Previously, Martino had won the Paraguayan league 4 times from 2002 till 2006.

On 5 July 2010, Martino announced that he would be stepping down as Paraguay coach on their return from the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Martino confirmed that with his four-year contract expiring, he would not be extending his spell in charge of the national side. However, on 10 July 2010, Martino agreed to stay on as Paraguay coach until after the 2011 Copa America.

After reaching Copa Libertadores semifinals with Argentine side Newell's Old Boys, Marino was confirmed as manager of Spanish club Barcelona on 22 July 2013 to replace with Tito Vilanova who resigned three days earlier. He will sign two-year deal at Barcelona.

Tata's achievement looks good for Barca.. now it is only the matter of putting it into practice.
Welcome Tata!
:aga_fosaro2ble:

Last edited:

hardyboy

I've a feeling Tata will bring the emotional aspact and hunger in the team which was missing last season...

mixer

Official: Barcelona announce that Gerardo 'Tata' Martino (50) will be their new coach

Official: Gerardo 'Tata' Martino (50) will be Barcelona's coach for the next two seasons

I

instinct

Welcome! Let's hope that he'll bring this wonderful team back to it's former success! All the best for you, Tata! :flagvl8::flagvl8:

ShandyFFM

Welcome tata all the best for you and your team. I just hope you wont play Mascherano even more because you both are argentine ;-)

Visca Barca y visca Tata!

Tomchin

Really curious what effect this will have on our remaining transfers, I hope he'll still sign a CB, and not put all his trust in his compatriot Mascherano.

I also read that he likes to play Messi on RW. I guess that could mean Cesc as the false 9 then, with Neymar on his left and Messi on his right.

Home of Barca Fans