Gerardo "Tata" Martino

zanela

RE: Biglia-Banega conundrum.

ARG have 4 ball dominant players in Messi-ADM-Aguero-Pastore, which leads to a high turn-over. It entails for better cover in MF, as Masch can't do the job alone. Banega lacks positional discipline, and goes on his attacking runs leaving the MF exposed. Thats not a good trait for someone who's meant to orchestrate play. The fact that he's unable to hold a starting position under various managers should say something. Even when Batista deployed him in MF, it was alongside Masch and Cambiasso. You can only have one of Pastore/Banega, both would be an overkill and setting the team vulnerable on the break. As for goal-scoring chances, I'm not sure if ARG created more chances having Banega against Para than they did without him vs rest of their opponents. Both goals were gifts from the opp. players, whilst the MF was getting overrun at HT. Regardless of the oppn tactics, ARG thanks to messi and pastore create plenty of chances, the problem's not putting them away.
Banega's FK attempt in the dying mins sums him up his time with ARG. Every good piece of play's accompanied with poor application/decision. And ARG can't afford to 've such an erratic player alongside masch. HIs sub role suits him best.
The player everyone's crying out for is Gago not Banega. The former has shown to be a gr8 link with Messi, releasing him faster and keeping him fed at all times, without positional errors, for the most part. But Gago's match fitness is questionable, and can't do heavy duty work when required.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I dont like Pastore in this Argentina team in relation to Messi.

Pastore acts like a AM who wants to play the final pass and loses the ball far too often when to get the best out of Messi he needs to play more as a CM and move the ball quickly to Messi in the correct areas.

So many times yesterday Pastore got in ball in dangerous areas and the attack broke down with him trying a pass that was far too difficult.

For me Banega compliments Messi more and understands how to play to get best out of Messi. Pastore doesnt. Although with Banega you never know what you will get..word class or terrible.

Although the flip side is Pastore has been one of if not Argentinas best player after Messi but he doenst play game that totally suits him for me.

xXKonan

I just don't know what AFA see in Tata. I mean did they see how bad he was here? and how he pretty much gave up in the second half of the season while also losing The locker room? I mean Martino is a nice guy and all but he just doesn't have it in him to Manage a big team.

xXKonan

I mean they won a couple of Summer Olympic Games (Gold Medals 2004&2008 ) but in Titles it has been 22 years.

spark

Really annoying that even when Chile weren't pressing Argentina defense kept hoofing rockets up field.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
The only guy in the world who has ever come close to consistently stopping Messi :worthy:

Another team, another show of managerial mediocrity. Congrats Captain Barbecue.

xXKonan

Watching this Argentina under him pretty much Mirrors how I felt about watching His Barcelona a year ago.

-Bad subs
-Takes to long to Make subs
-Poor tactics
-Poor at Motivating the players
-Poor at team selection at times
-Stubborn at times.

I mean I like Tata and he's a nice guy but watching this Argentina and Barcelona Under his Tenure was just Frustrating.

Home of Barca Fans